Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch bike racks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@VanillaAir_UK (or anyone else who can help) is it legal to go over the 55kg limit with a bike rack in the UK? Now that we can drive to exercise I am hoping to go as a family to the [too far to cycle to] countryside... But the weight of the 4 bikes is around 47kg. And with the weight of the 4-bike rack I am looking at at 14.5kg (see link) that would bring my total to under 62kg?

I just can't get my head around how this would work fine in the US (so I assume Tesla are happy with carrying accessories up to 91kg) but that this is too much for the UK...

If anyone can help advise I would appreciate it ... Half term is coming and it would be great to drive out to see some green (or actually, to drive pretty much anywhere now that I think about it!)

Thanks

BUZZ RACK BB4 - 4 bike wheel support rack no. BRP304.

Interesting discussion. I’m also looking at a bike rack for 3 bikes. It’s a push for 3 bikes and the rack itself for 55kg. I’m looking at the Thule easyfold XT which is 19kg for the 2 bike rack and 23kg for the 3.

kid bike is 9.25kg
Mine is 12kg
So if we get the 3 it’s only circa 10.75kg for a bike for the wife. Not a great scenario. Might just get the 2 bike version, takes kid bike and gives me plenty for an e bike. Wife will have to have a folding bike in the boot. 55kg limitation is very poor.

All this before I find a caravan less than 900kg :)

Yes, seems odd that the Model 3 can handle an entire caravan, but not 4 bikes!

Having said that, in your case @UrbanSplash roofbox.co.uk seem to have a number of good alternatives to Thule that weigh a lot less and would give you more flexibility... I've never used them, but their website seems very decent

@VanillaAir_UK (or anyone else who can help) is it legal to go over the 55kg limit with a bike rack in the UK? Now that we can drive to exercise I am hoping to go as a family to the [too far to cycle to] countryside... But the weight of the 4 bikes is around 47kg. And with the weight of the 4-bike rack I am looking at at 14.5kg (see link) that would bring my total to under 62kg?

I just can't get my head around how this would work fine in the US (so I assume Tesla are happy with carrying accessories up to 91kg) but that this is too much for the UK...

If anyone can help advise I would appreciate it ... Half term is coming and it would be great to drive out to see some green (or actually, to drive pretty much anywhere now that I think about it!)

Thanks

BUZZ RACK BB4 - 4 bike wheel support rack no. BRP304.

I don't know about legality, but I believe that it is a limitation placed on unsupported accessories (as opposed to trailers being part supported by a wheel at a distance away from the vehicle) that depending on how it is loaded, could create a turning moment (pivoting force) that exceeds the hitch capabilities. This is partially hinted at in the manual.

upload_2020-5-19_6-55-0.png

There is (was?) no Tesla tow hitch for Model 3 in America although it appears to be an option on the Model Y. Also of note that the US tow hitch is very different to the ball type we have over here.

Any thoughts on this? I took off the protective plastic and managed to photograph the technical plate from the tow bar (the Type Approved information)... This seems to indicate an S value of 100kgs... So that should mean I can easily fit a 4-bike rack and be well beneath the maximum loads?

Or have I got that wrong @VanillaAir_UK

Tesla Model 3 Tow Bar info.jpg

Your conclusion is at odds with Teslas weight limits for using an accessory attachment such as a tow bar.

As I understand it, and from schoolboy physics, the S weight is the nose/tongue weight, which is the maximum vertical load that can be applied to the tow hitch. But this does not take into account the turning moment also being applied to the tow hitch. A weight at a distance will apply a different rotational force on the tow hitch. See info backing this up from Brink below who recently took over the Thule towing department so a pretty reliable source.
upload_2020-5-19_19-16-59.png

Tesla specify this limit clearly in the manual at 55kg (or 20kg is using 20" wheels), page 95 of the 2020.12.5 version, image below. I guess Tesla did some calculations and came up with their own figures based upon their own different criteria.

upload_2020-5-19_18-58-3.png

When I first looked into this limitation, before it was even mentioned in the Model 3 manual (it was in the Model X manual, a car that Tesla have marketed as towing an airliner), there was very little info. But I did come across the information that when build plates, manuals or other sources were in conflict, the minimum weight was the defining weight, below, info again from Brink,.
upload_2020-5-19_19-13-13.png

So the view that I take, is that the weight in the Tesla Model 3 manual at 55kg/20kg is the limiting weight depending on configuration.

The manufacturers of the Model 3 tow hitch is Westfalia who also make bike racks. May be worth clarifying with them but I suspect they will also say that the load that Tesla state is the load that you should adhere to.

Probably not what people want to hear but it is based on my interpretation of several communications and official resources from companies with hands on knowledge of the products that I was looking to use.

Last edited:
I have the same Atera bike rack and have the 4th bike extension. I'm unsure about attaching 4 bikes but that's an interesting thought to attach cargo straps over the top of the boot from a strong point inside. I might try that. It would not lessen the vertical force on the tow bar but would lessen the torque particularly over bumps.

Went round this though loop with Gidster and VanillaAir_uk a few months ago and in the end settled for a 3 bike rack (1 adult MTB and two kids 24” and 20”) with one on the roof bars. Not a cheap setup but gave the option to put a roof box on too.

Just back from a week long camping trip with all four bikes.

some thoughts:
The roof rack is a lot more secure than I feared given some of the posts I’ve read. No cracking noises, no shaking. Doesn’t do anything good for the car’s looks though. My Tesla mad 9 year old hates it, even without the roofbox

three bikes on the back and a full boot really drops the rear of the car. The electrics adapter looks like it will ground but it has survived a week of country roads without any scratches.

The one time I had to disconnect the electrics was to get over the barrier block at a supercharger. Also a bit nervous about how far back I had to go to get the SuC cable to reach the charge port. With a three bike rack the rear bike was almost touching the SuC stall. Four adult bike I think would be a problem.

overall, happy with the solution. I suspect I’ll have three bikes on more often than 4 in which case will use the tow hitch only.

I had 60kg of bike on my 4x rack a couple of weeks ago, with the shim in place. 2x adult MTB at 15kg, closest to the car, and 2 kids bikes @8 and 7kg. + The rack.

Made it down the A9 fine, 160 miles of mixed motor/duel and A road. Seemed pretty happy.

The 4x'er was officially supplied with some side support straps to help with the sideways forces when dodging elk, probably not a bad idea, although I would be wary of loading up areas that aren't designed for it.

Stuck it on chill and took it easy. Also had a full-to-the roof car of other stuff and saw 900w/mile getting up the hill out of Inverness, ulp. Still overall managed to get to Edinburgh with about 20% left.

Went round this though loop with Gidster and VanillaAir_uk a few months ago and in the end settled for a 3 bike rack (1 adult MTB and two kids 24” and 20”) with one on the roof bars. Not a cheap setup but gave the option to put a roof box on too.

Just back from a week long camping trip with all four bikes.

some thoughts:
The roof rack is a lot more secure than I feared given some of the posts I’ve read. No cracking noises, no shaking. Doesn’t do anything good for the car’s looks though. My Tesla mad 9 year old hates it, even without the roofbox

three bikes on the back and a full boot really drops the rear of the car. The electrics adapter looks like it will ground but it has survived a week of country roads without any scratches.

The one time I had to disconnect the electrics was to get over the barrier block at a supercharger. Also a bit nervous about how far back I had to go to get the SuC cable to reach the charge port. With a three bike rack the rear bike was almost touching the SuC stall. Four adult bike I think would be a problem.

overall, happy with the solution. I suspect I’ll have three bikes on more often than 4 in which case will use the tow hitch only.
I hate to think what the turning force is when the bike rack is tilted for access to the boot. Definitely lowering it very gently every time

I hate to think what the turning force is when the bike rack is tilted for access to the boot. Definitely lowering it very gently every time
Hell yea.

On the old car I hadn't latched it right once and it slid back while doing ~30 on a single track road. Scared the hell out of me, but car, towball and rack all survived fine. Also survived falling off the Tesla (hence advice about getting the shim) going round it's first corner with 4 bikes. Gingerly at 5 mph as I had concerns, but again, bike, racks, car all good other than having to re-do the electrics (of the rack, Tesla fine).

Did I mention? Get the damn shim.

Ouch, that's overpriced! I'm using (and recommend) the Buzz Rack Buffalo available from www.roofbox.co.uk

The cycles hang from their crossbars on this one and it has the advantage that the lighting board is higher up, instead of being down at ground level where tailgaters won't see the brake lights.

It needs the 7 to 13 pin adaptor which they sell as an option at the point of order.