Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Torklift just posted the installation video. Looks similar to Model 3 and really quite easy with common tools if you are moderately handy. They also raised the price a bit so you’ll only save $700 now and $680 later. I guess demand is high and the alternative from Tesla is pricey.

2020 Tesla Model Y Tow Hitch - Invisi EcoHitch design
If you're just using it for a bike rack, that's an option. If you actually tow a trailer, this is missing the important stuff: electrical hookup for the lights.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
As I posted upthread, I have towed my 17 ft RV trailer over 10,000 miles with my X all over the western US and Supercharged many many times. I almost always unhitch to charge and it’s no big deal: two minutes to unhitch, maybe three minutes to hitch up and I’m on my way. It’s really not an issue. (Note: as @ohmman pointed out, it’s really nice to have the trailer to relax in while charging ;).

Understood, but some SC locations are harder than others to find a spot to safely stow the trailer while charging difficult. Then imagine a busy holiday weekend with inclement conditions. In any case, I will mostly be using the hitch for a bike or cargo carrier, which means a) finding a spot to stow the stuff and b) lots of heavy lifting X 2, every time I want to charge. And I would have to forgo the most efficient charging while route planning and instead charge to 90-100% every time, if that's even a possibility during crunch times.

I guess the point is: we shouldn't have to go through these extremes. Since towing or using racks will soon be more popular with the Model Y, I don't think it would be a big deal for Tesla to make small accommodations for those who choose the hitch option.

Torklift just posted the installation video. Looks similar to Model 3 and really quite easy with common tools if you are moderately handy. They also raised the price a bit so you’ll only save $700 now and $680 later. I guess demand is high and the alternative from Tesla is pricey.
2020 Tesla Model Y Tow Hitch - Invisi EcoHitch design
But you will also need the $184 wiring harness and figure out how to install that as well. Tekonsha Wiring Harness: Tesla and BMW i3 - 119251

I'm supposed to take delivery of a model Y on Wednesday and my delivery person in Superior Colorado told me the factory hitch could be installed after delivery of the vehicle. Who knows if this is really true but it's another data point.

Is that a dark grey with the 20" wheels? I saw one in the lot there yesterday. It may have convinced my wife that a Y is a good fit. (She thinks the X is too huge, and wants a hatch)

I can't wait for some reports about how towing actually goes, and if the package includes the wiring harness (4 pin or 7?) and tow mode.....

But you will also need the $184 wiring harness and figure out how to install that as well. Tekonsha Wiring Harness: Tesla and BMW i3 - 119251

Sure for real towing. On our 3 it's only used for a bike rack.

Speaking of real towing - or even a 4 bike rack - I'm hoping the the factory Y hitch is a welded one-piece unit and not something failure prone and weak like the Bosal hitch found on the X.

But the Model X hitch is Class III, which is normally 2”, not the Class II hitch on the Y.
Model X with 22” wheels has a 3500 pound tow limit and still has a class III 2” hitch. When towing one always references the lowest number to determine towing capacity. There are so many things that can limit towing capacity for so many different situations. The responsibility falls on the operator to tow safety.

Reactions: ohmman
Model X with 22” wheels has a 3500 pound tow limit and still has a class III 2” hitch. When towing one always references the lowest number to determine towing capacity. There are so many things that can limit towing capacity for so many different situations. The responsibility falls on the operator to tow safety.

Where does it say the Model X with 22” wheels is class III? A 3500 lb. limit indicates class II. The smaller wheels have a higher capacity that does indicate a class III hitch. Perhaps, for whatever reason, Tesla may have had to go with a smaller hitch to accommodate the larger wheels.

On the Model X 2” bosal adapter (or “hitch”) there is a table with tire size and weight limits. In my logic, the “hitch” is rated for 5000 pounds but the vehicle is limited to 3500 pounds and a lower tongue weight with 22” tires. I can see how others would disagree with my logic or think of it as the hitch reverts to class II limits and therefore is that class by definition with 22” tires.

I've seen the videos, and really I don't think anyone would think this is an easy installation. Sure, if you have the tools and are used to working on cars, it's a piece of cake.

But for others, what's the point? The hitch plus wiring is going to cost over $400, and even if you are "handy", you're looking at a few hours at least. If you enjoy working on your car, I get it. Just make sure you do it right, because if anything in that setup fails, you could do serious damage to your car... or worse. And no matter what, you won't be covered under any warranty.

This is a ~$60k car. Is it really worth saving $600? I could do it myself, but I'd much rather this being done when the car is being assembled rather than rely on a third party.

ETA: I realize that for some of you adding the hitch option increases the base cost of the car. But there is still debate on whether this will ultimately be the case. I'd wait until the plant starts up again and then find a competent SA to give you the final scoop.

I've seen the videos, and really I don't think anyone would think this is an easy installation. Sure, if you have the tools and are used to working on cars, it's a piece of cake.

But for others, what's the point? The hitch plus wiring is going to cost over $400, and even if you are "handy", you're looking at a few hours at least. If you enjoy working on your car, I get it. Just make sure you do it right, because if anything in that setup fails, you could do serious damage to your car... or worse. And no matter what, you won't be covered under any warranty.

This is a ~$60k car. Is it really worth saving $600? I could do it myself, but I'd much rather this being done when the car is being assembled rather than rely on a third party.

ETA: I realize that for some of you adding the hitch option increases the base cost of the car. But there is still debate on whether this will ultimately be the case. I'd wait until the plant starts up again and then find a competent SA to give you the final scoop.

For me, I just need a hitch for a bike rack (no towing). So this Ecohitch is really just a few snaps, and about 8 bolts. Incredibly easy for just about anyone I would say. No cutting, no fabricating, just unscrew, remove, screw. Being that the cost savings can buy me a very nice bike rack, or ski rack attachment to go with the hitch, it's a no brainier.

For me, I just need a hitch for a bike rack (no towing). So this Ecohitch is really just a few snaps, and about 8 bolts. Incredibly easy for just about anyone I would say. No cutting, no fabricating, just unscrew, remove, screw. Being that the cost savings can buy me a very nice bike rack, or ski rack attachment to go with the hitch, it's a no brainier.

We'll have to disagree on the ease of installation. Not everyone has access to a lift and jack stand(s).

IMO, a hitch used for a bike/cargo rack presents more potential issues than a tow, especially if carrying an e-bike or two. There is a good deal of stress being applied as tongue weight. Even if the rack+bike weighs less 300 lbs., especially with an after market hitch, I wouldn't recommend driving it on bumpy or dirt road, something that is more likely to happen with a small SUV.

Reactions: Electric Steve
You do not need to jack the car up to install this hitch. They just do that so they don't have to sit on the ground or bend over. You just pull off the bumper cover, unplug a wire, unscrew some bolts, remove the crash bar, put the hitch on, screw the bolts back on, plug the wire back in, snap the bumper cover back on.

The tongue ratings on the Tesla installed hitch are identical to the Ecohitch.

You do not need to jack the car up to install this hitch. They just do that so they don't have to sit on the ground or bend over. You just pull off the bumper cover, unplug a wire, unscrew some bolts, remove the crash bar, put the hitch on, screw the bolts back on, plug the wire back in, snap the bumper cover back on.

The tongue ratings on the Tesla installed hitch are identical to the Ecohitch.

I think you proved my point with your step by step instruction. And I realize that it might be possible to install without a lift, but I'd keep your chiropractor on speed dial if I were you.

I never said the ratings were different. But I did say the installation is quite different. And frankly, I'd trust Tesla's hitch over an aftermarket hitch, but then that may be just me.

Ultimately, it's risk/reward. The amount of money saved is trivial compared to the costs of a non-warranty repair and potential liability.

I don't think the installation looks tough, but I'd be pretty paranoid about any movement of the hitch during installation. Assuming this is made like their other products, if the powder coat is even lightly scratched during installation you'll end up with corrosion destroying the aluminum rear crash structure of your Model Y. This happened to a number of Model S owners who bought Ecohitches, and it's really hard to spot without removing the hitch.

One of the reasons we have bought Teslas in the past is they've received good safety ratings, and I couldn't justify risking that for a few hundred dollars. We're only using it for a bike rack, but opted to go the OEM route.

Reactions: dandrewk