Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, there have been consistent reports of Tesla service professionals indicating that the hitch will be able to be installed at Service Centers after delivery; but yes, given their track record, that’s basically “nobody”.

Yep, unfortunately there has been at least a couple reports on this forum from Tesla professionals indicating that the hitch will not be able to be installed at Service centers after delivery as well. There seems to be a good handful more saying that it is going to be an option, and I tend to believe that it will be. I mean there is absolutely no reason for it not to be an option for a service center to add on. If I can add the after market hitch in my garage in a few hours, a Tesla service center can definitely do it.

Point is, nothing Tesla says is confirmed until it is in our hands.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Jumping in to mention that I spoke with a sales rep at the local Tesla showroom and he recommended not adding the tow hitch as it would bump my delivery timeline and that since I've been waiting since December it's reasonable to assume that I can expect delivery within 4-8 weeks. He suggested that I have it installed after the fact through Tesla, but he wasn't sure when (probably even IF) they would begin to offer that.

It's not a huge deal as I'm not exactly going on any road trips with bikes any time soon, but I'd like that as an option eventually so I can throw a Yakima on top and bikes on the back with tons of storage inside.

Anyone who has already received the car attempted to contact them for a service appointment to have it added? I imagine they'd get the most informative response...

Jumping in to mention that I spoke with a sales rep at the local Tesla showroom and he recommended not adding the tow hitch as it would bump my delivery timeline and that since I've been waiting since December it's reasonable to assume that I can expect delivery within 4-8 weeks. He suggested that I have it installed after the fact through Tesla, but he wasn't sure when (probably even IF) they would begin to offer that.

It's not a huge deal as I'm not exactly going on any road trips with bikes any time soon, but I'd like that as an option eventually so I can throw a Yakima on top and bikes on the back with tons of storage inside.

Anyone who has already received the car attempted to contact them for a service appointment to have it added? I imagine they'd get the most informative response...
Interesting. I added the hitch to mine and they've still called a couple times this month to see if I would take delivery that week. Brand new orders placed today get quoted 4-8week delivery according to the webpage.

Honestly, if you know you for sure want the hitch, you should just add it. There's no guarantee Tesla offers it after sale. Some Tesla employees have said they would, but they've also said a lot of other things that never came true.

The Model Y EPC has been posted online, but unfortunately it tells us very little about the tow hitch—no diagram yet.

A43BEE9E-ECB1-48FB-AB9D-711B53BBB476.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
It is listed as an over the counter part, so you should be able to order it. But I don't know that they would enable the software for you.

I may be able to convince a Service Center, as they did for my DiY HomeLink module install - charged me half hour labor fee ($91) for the SW config update.

Same with Wheel Config change from 21" Uberturbines to 20" - no charge for that, made my MYPUP EPA range to 315 miles.

I'm curious how much the hitch costs vs the module. I wonder how much more expensive the hitch is compared to the $300 aftermarket one. The cost in the configurator obviously includes both the hitch and the module as well as a slight uptick for the extra time to mount it during the production.

If the TESLA hitch is double the price of the aftermarket, and they would configure the module post install, then I would go that route. If the TESLA hitch is slightly more expensive, then I'll stick with OEM.

Really the two questions are what are the parts costs and what is the installation cost. Once we have that and it's available to order, then better decissions can be made.

If the TESLA hitch is double the price of the aftermarket, and they would configure the module post install, then I would go that route. If the TESLA hitch is slightly more expensive, then I'll stick with OEM.

Really the two questions are what are the parts costs and what is the installation cost. Once we have that and it's available to order, then better decissions can be made.
The third question: which of the two options guarantees you have a neck to choke in case of, for example, galvanic corrosion?

The third question: which of the two options guarantees you have a neck to choke in case of, for example, galvanic corrosion?
well that would be on you for the aftermarket of course ... in the install videos I've seen there are nylon washers to avoid that situation, but I'm no engineer so not sure how effective that is.

Question 4 I guess would be what would / will TELSA charge for a post delivery installation and hopefully negating the concern of a warranty situation.

In the past for the Model X they usually charged the full cost of the hitch to unlock the software, even if the hitch was already installed.

As far as the pigtail for the trailer lights, I don't see a part for that listed on the parts site so I suspect it is just part of the hitch unit. (So it can't be purchased separately.)

In the past for the Model X they usually charged the full cost of the hitch to unlock the software, even if the hitch was already installed.

As far as the pigtail for the trailer lights, I don't see a part for that listed on the parts site so I suspect it is just part of the hitch unit. (So it can't be purchased separately.)
ouch. one way to make you go with them. I guess if its only for a bike rack it wont' matter, but if any trailer towing with lights is required, the choice is almost forced.