Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question that I cant seem to find an answer on, so if this has been asked before I apologize as its not showing up after I have searched for over an hour.

My wife and I are in the market for a used Model Y with a tow hitch. I have noticed that CarMax doesn't advertise any of their cars with or without them.

What I have noticed though is some have what to appears to be a cutout for one, and some dont. So by my assumption, the cutouts should have the hitch receiver behind it, correct? Or did they start shipping all Model Y's with the cutout and its luck o the draw with CarMax and having this as a feature.

Thanks for any assistance with this.

What I have noticed though is some have what to appears to be a cutout for one, and some dont. So by my assumption, the cutouts should have the hitch receiver behind it, correct? Or did they start shipping all Model Y's with the cutout and its luck o the draw with CarMax and having this as a feature.

Thanks for any assistance with this.
Interesting, I've never noticed. All I can give you is my small sample size; both our model Ys (MYP/MYLR) have the cutout, but only one has a hitch. The one with the hitch was ordered with it directly from the factory.

Reactions: 7BaconTacos
Interesting, I've never noticed. All I can give you is my small sample size; both our model Ys (MYP/MYLR) have the cutout, but only one has a hitch. The one with the hitch was ordered with it directly from the factory.
thanks!

I wish carmax would list out the options like tesla does. It would be nice to know if it has the hitch/FSD/EAP/AB.

They all have the cut out, but I wouldn't worry so much about the tow hitch. If you find a nice used example that you like, a tow hitch can be added. It's an extra $200. I believe above what the option cost so 1200 instead of 1,000. I would just find one that you like and if it has the toe hitch. Great! If it doesn't schedule a service appointment to have it installed.

There is no way to tell from the outside whether the car has the tow package. It's completely enclosed, and the splash guards underneath mean that you can't even lay on the ground and look for it. In the US, it's $300 more than if you added it from the factory.

You order it from the Tesla retail store. After you pay for it, you schedule a service appointment with your local service center to have it installed. I did this back in December, and the process was pretty seamless.

thanks for all the input on this.
Man thats a bummer you cant get down and see if its installed. that was my plan if CarMax got one locally, its to just peak under and see if its there.

I guess it will be like a christmas present and see if its there or not lol.
Sucks Tesla increased the prices on new as it just pushed us out of being able to afford a new one (600 vs 700/800).

thanks for all the input on this.
Man thats a bummer you cant get down and see if its installed. that was my plan if CarMax got one locally, its to just peak under and see if its there.

I guess it will be like a christmas present and see if its there or not lol.
Sucks Tesla increased the prices on new as it just pushed us out of being able to afford a new one (600 vs 700/800).

Carmax must have technicians of some flavor on-site to inspect and certify their cars. I’d just ask them to pop the panel out and send you a photo. It’s pretty stiff, but can be removed with a screwdriver if you don’t mind lightly marring the surrounding valence. This is mine after installation at my local service center.

080B2D0E-5037-4C38-9684-930A9C3C96A7.jpegB7092C87-3304-4AEA-B666-502A1CE82594.jpegC5E0A354-AF9A-4FBB-9B2A-D99082ECBC46.jpeg

There is no way to tell from the outside whether the car has the tow package. It's completely enclosed, and the splash guards underneath mean that you can't even lay on the ground and look for it. In the US, it's $300 more than if you added it from the factory.

You order it from the Tesla retail store. After you pay for it, you schedule a service appointment with your local service center to have it installed. I did this back in December, and the process was pretty seamless.
heh...well I guess the price went up with everything else. I was quoting February 2021 pricing. Still not a deal breaker because if you find a really nice used one it might be worth the extra $300 to grab that one and have the hitch installed after vs. trying to find one with tow that meets all requirements.

I'm going to hitchhike on this thread. I currently have a first version Model Y with a factory installed hitch. I just ordered a new one and plan to take delivery next week. My local service guy non-Tesla but sells and works on a lot of them, says he thinks I just can't move the hitch from the old MY to the new MY. Says he can do it physically but there's a software upgrade too? Does anyone have any official Tesla documentation to contrary or support of this theory? Thanks.

I'm going to hitchhike on this thread. I currently have a first version Model Y with a factory installed hitch. I just ordered a new one and plan to take delivery next week. My local service guy non-Tesla but sells and works on a lot of them, says he thinks I just can't move the hitch from the old MY to the new MY. Says he can do it physically but there's a software upgrade too? Does anyone have any official Tesla documentation to contrary or support of this theory? Thanks.
i know that there are plenty of non tesla hitches available that will fit. but for m3(US) you cant get the towing software added on, no clue if they allow that upgrade on mY. best bet is to just call em and ask.

I had similar questions, but never did find answers online and before i got around to calling tesla one with a hitch popped up in local inventory

The hole is a necessary evil in the design, but it is super ugly. There was a person a while back that created a prototype cover that was similar to the Ungodly Design cover, but it had one really slick difference. You push the cover, and a spring catch mechanism would pop the cover forward so you could grab it and remove the plug. Not sure what happened to that cover.