Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A

anon52695

Anyone know if the Y includes a tow hitch? And if so tow capacities? I haven’t found anything online, but that is a big deciding factor for me to switch out my other car to a Y.

Anyone know if the Y includes a tow hitch? And if so tow capacities? I haven’t found anything online, but that is a big deciding factor for me to switch out my other car to a Y.

+1

I have 8 months to make a decision but I think it’s a bit strange nothing has been released in this regard. Could this be related to the new design? Perhaps they want to keep capabilities under wraps, but with deliveries right around the corner how much longer can they hold out?

B505B421-7083-426B-8203-78DDE7EFE4BB.png

Could be that Tesla has a hitch engineered, but not governmental approval to sell it yet.

When I ordered my 2017 X it was supposed to come with a smaller accessory hitch. Mostly for a bike rack or light weight utility trailer. When it got delivered they had cancelled that little hitch, and it came with a full sized hitch, good for 5,ooo lbs. It came with a tow package that included double hook ups for trailer lights and brakes, a removable receiver and full anti sway controls.

I noticed all the pictured I see are with a hitch block out plate where a hitch would go.

Imagine they intend to put a hitch on, but gotta wait until they have approval to sell it plus perhaps a tow package.

Hitch is not a simple thing for an OEM. Aftermarket we can just bolt on what ever U Haul has in stock, but OEM has lots of liabilities.

Last edited:
Starting to worry this will be a non-American thing only or added after a year or so when demand has gone down a bit.

Model X came with a full size tow hitch from first production (I was #417 in 2016). I don't see why they would allow it to be delayed here. That doesn't make sense to me because they would have to tweak production to add it later on.

Reactions: Blup85
I picked this thread; since others here might have a similar interest.
Now that delivery notifications are coming (for some) -- I'm curious at the timing/order of picking a date.

We pretty much require tow hitch as a prerequisite to our purchase... for a bike rack -- not for any real towing. The posted notification emails imply you pick a date and then you get to talk to an advisor. I'm assuming the SA's won't have any more info re: the tow hitch question than these forums - so I'm wondering if anyone who's received their notification has actually chosen to 'delay' and what that process/experience might entail.

As excited as we are -- there just need to be some questions answered before we can commit to a delivery. We'll likely delay until there is some sort of word from the mother-ship on this issue. :( Either an OEM option or some acknowledgment that something like a Torklift won't nuke any warranty coverage for non-hitch-related things.

Non-P, AWD, black interior. Launch week deposit, WA state. No email yet.

Most vehicles in this rage are rated for 3500lbs. This has to do more with towing/trailer laws than the vehicle.

I believe 3501lbs requires brakes on the trailer. Which is why many cars/SUVs are around 3500. You have to look at spec/law/cost benefits/etc.
Yeah, it’s like wishing for the GIJoe aircraft carrier for Christmas all those years ago. Fun to dream about, but never gonna happen.

I picked this thread; since others here might have a similar interest.
Now that delivery notifications are coming (for some) -- I'm curious at the timing/order of picking a date.

We pretty much require tow hitch as a prerequisite to our purchase... for a bike rack -- not for any real towing. .....

Non-P, AWD, black interior. Launch week deposit, WA state. No email yet.

Torqlift Central had a great hitch for my model S. I suspect that as soon as they can procure a Y they'll have one for it, too. You should have no trouble using it for a bike rack. I installed my hitch in my own driveway, but that might be a challenge to anyone who can't undo bolts and screws. It ain't rocket science.

As getting a tow hitch is pretty much universally easy, I don't see the problem. If it's a "requirement", then just buy one. It seems you have never bought one before.

I too would want a hitch. I'll be going from a Suburban to the MY. I use the Suburban to haul moderately sized stuff around town and to my rental properties (lumber, power equipment, lawn mowers, etc.). I'd really like a small flatbed trailer to do these types of jobs.

It's a little annoying how tight-lipped Tesla is about the MY details.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Torqlift Central had a great hitch for my model S. I suspect that as soon as they can procure a Y they'll have one for it, too. You should have no trouble using it for a bike rack. I installed my hitch in my own driveway, but that might be a challenge to anyone who can't undo bolts and screws. It ain't rocket science.

As getting a tow hitch is pretty much universally easy, I don't see the problem. If it's a "requirement", then just buy one. It seems you have never bought one before.
About the tow hitch installation, I would prefer no to touch the electrical wiring for warranty purpose.
Also, the software would avoid having this "motorcycle" following you, that some user shown after using a trailer.

Could be that Tesla has a hitch engineered, but not governmental approval to sell it yet.
I noticed all the pictured I see are with a hitch block out plate where a hitch would go.
Imagine they intend to put a hitch on, but gotta wait until they have approval to sell it plus perhaps a tow package.
That plate in the middle of the bumper sure suggests an "official" towing capability in the Y.

There about three features I need to be in the Model Y before I would consider an upgrade from my Model 3. Tow hitch is one of them. Might do a Toyota RAV4 PHEV as my next car purchase if the tow hitch is missing as we see deliveries or a spec sheet.