Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, new Tesla 3 owner here. I picked up a second hand Model 3 LR yesterday and looking at vehicle info it says that a tow package was specified ( presumably by original owner). However there’s no towing hitch in the car, so not sure what that means? Is it a case of the hitch has been lost and if so how do I get a replacement? Or am I misunderstanding what the additional inform screen is telling me?
F678CB7B-7C5D-47D9-953E-C4113115B7E7.jpeg

Hi everyone, new Tesla 3 owner here. I picked up a second hand Model 3 LR yesterday and looking at vehicle info it says that a tow package was specified ( presumably by original owner). However there’s no towing hitch in the car, so not sure what that means? Is it a case of the hitch has been lost and if so how do I get a replacement? Or am I misunderstanding what the additional inform screen is telling me?
Model 3 towing something will cancel the warranty. It is not offered as an option.

I have no idea how it got to that screen.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Hi everyone, new Tesla 3 owner here. I picked up a second hand Model 3 LR yesterday and looking at vehicle info it says that a tow package was specified ( presumably by original owner). However there’s no towing hitch in the car, so not sure what that means? Is it a case of the hitch has been lost and if so how do I get a replacement? Or am I misunderstanding what the additional inform screen is telling me?View attachment 901267
This is a UK thing. Towing on a Model 3 is not available in North America.

You'd be better off asking this in the UK forum

Reactions: buckets0fun
Is it possible to put a tow hitch on an M3 in the United States? I know I’ve seen people posting about it. Will this really void the cars warranty?

From the manual:

"Towing a Trailer​

Warning
Do not use Model 3 for towing purposes. Model 3 does not currently support towing. Towing can cause damage and increase the risk of a collision.
CAUTION
Using Model 3 for towing before Tesla-approved towing components and accessories are available may void the warranty."

From the manual:

"Towing a Trailer​

Warning
Do not use Model 3 for towing purposes. Model 3 does not currently support towing. Towing can cause damage and increase the risk of a collision.
CAUTION
Using Model 3 for towing before Tesla-approved towing components and accessories are available may void the warranty."
I think trailer hitches are very popular in many parts of the world for passenger class vehicles. Tesla could have lost many sales if a trailer hitch were not available as an option. Does anyone know what is different on the US sold Model 3 vehicles, if anything, compared to an official Tesla with Trailer HItch excluding the hitch, wiring and possible firmware differences? Is the rear of vehicle where the hitch mounts different, larger radiator, larger cooling pumps or different firmware? There are/were a few companies that sold aftermarket hitches for the Model 3 that evidently a fair number of US owners installed (some did it to mount bike racks and not pull a lightweight trailer).

Reactions: Lindenwood
I think trailer hitches are very popular in many parts of the world for passenger class vehicles. Tesla could have lost many sales if a trailer hitch were not available as an option. Does anyone know what is different on the US sold Model 3 vehicles, if anything, compared to an official Tesla with Trailer HItch excluding the hitch, wiring and possible firmware differences? Is the rear of vehicle where the hitch mounts different, larger radiator, larger cooling pumps or different firmware? There are/were a few companies that sold aftermarket hitches for the Model 3 that evidently a fair number of US owners installed (some did it to mount bike racks and not pull a lightweight trailer).
From the owner's manual's warning, I could interpret that:

1) There's no towing software loaded so the risk of collision is high.
2) The hardware from third parties is not approved.

Those 2 problems above are easily solved in Europe:

1) Load the software on.
2) Sell Tesla's hardware!

Thanks all, so further investigation revealed the car did have the tow package installed. Unfortunately the detachable tow hitch is missing (dealership contacted and said everything they had was passed on). So I’ve contacted local service centre to see if they sell them. Awaiting a response.

From the owner's manual's warning, I could interpret that:

1) There's no towing software loaded so the risk of collision is high.
2) The hardware from third parties is not approved.

Those 2 problems above are easily solved in Europe:

1) Load the software on.
2) Sell Tesla's hardware!
I've seen that, but wonder about the many M3 that have hitches on them, towing bikes or small trailers. Is it just assumed that all of those have had their warranty voided - or that it is possible to void the warranty. I just want to carry my bikes.

Just came across this at etrailer.com

Adding a trailer hitch to a vehicle like the 2021 Tesla Model 3 you were looking at at your local Tesla dealer will not void the vehicle warranty.

This is due to you being protected by the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed by Congress in 1975, ensures that consumers can install aftermarket parts without the fear of voiding their warranty. The only way the warranty would be voided is if the install of the component or the component itself caused the damage to the vehicle.