Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towable Generators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, another option would be a "pusher trailer"... Not a generator at all. It is just a gas engine, gearbox and driven wheels. When it pushes you then you just let off of the accelerator pedal and the regen charges the batteries while you maintain speed. I doubt anyone is going to "productize" such a thing for you, but you could custom build one. The ones I have seen done tend to maintain registration as a full vehicle so you would need to have it pass smog checks and probably get separate insurance for it... In other words a lot of hassles.

Pusher trailer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EV Pusher Trailer
trailersideview.jpg

EV Pusher | MrSharkey.Com
push0.jpg

...the idea of having the Roadster charge itself when towed behind an RV. ...is possible.

Of course everyone here will note that the Tesla would now be a gasoline powered car.

The trailer idea really works for the Model S and I sure the idea will get rehashed a thousand times over before it comes out. Who knows, Tesla might even show one. Might be a good project to farm out. ACP anyone?

JB Straubel is the designer of the porsche pusher!

I didn't see anyone document that the EV Pusher red 944 is JB's car! The very father of the Tesla built a pusher vehicle while in college. If anyone want's an answer to whether the Tesla could be pushed, just dial up JB.

rob

Well, I appreciate your replies. Even though the answers are not what I had hoped, it won't stop may from getting onto the Roadster reservation list later this month. Incurable hacker that I am , if a solution has not been found by the time I take delivery, perhaps I can break some new ground for everyone else.

This is an excellent forum for tesla enthusiasts.

Would it actually make sense having the new coming model S being able to tow a small efficient and aerodynamic TESLA gas/E85 GENSET (10-15kwh) in order to extend it's range exclusively? (and not replace battery power when depleted - EREV-Like).

A former post in this thread did advance the idea to have a genset supply only the power required to maintain highway speed constant (10-15kwh), while battery will be required for peak-power supply (e.g. acceleration) and non-highway use.

If that would exist, it would be, imo, a very good compromise for those who aim to make big distance travel. Beside, you could even rent the towable genset for this purpose.

Cheers

I'm not sour about the US but in most countries in EU you are only allowed to drive 50 mph with a trailer, and 80 mph with out
if you have to drive 400 miles what is best 8 hour slow drive / 5 hour drive + 3 charging
my guess 400 miles is the turning point as if you have to drive longer the trailer will win as the car is still charged after the 400, but what is the fun at driving at 50 mph
this calculation is probably way off, as I'm just guessing, but the model S will probably remove the need for a trailer with the 300 miles range and abel to charge even faster together with the possibility of battery swapping stations

But how would this buy you anything? You can't charge the car while on the move (don't current EV's panic if you try to drive w/ the charge door open?) so it would just help people who are traveling to destinations without power. Am I missing something?

This is a great in theory, which is all it is right now. You're right in that you'll have to adapt the car to deal with a charge current flowing in whilst the car is being driven - big challenges in tech, wiring, standards, etc. Bigger batteries might be practical by the time you've figured all of that out.

It might be easier and more efficient to use a 'Pusher' to simply reduce the effort required from the car's motor to propel it along. The EV would simply think it's driving down a very long and gentle hill. No electrical interface other than charging whilst it's parked but then, you're probably close to an outlet at that point.

With a "pusher" you could recharge the battery. You just let it stay in regen with the car putting drag, and the pusher trailer overcoming it. No special modifications to the charging circuit needed.

You would want the pusher engine to shut off when you really hit the brakes hard too.
So, yeah, some control lines between car and trailer, just not necessarily required to have a generator and connection to the charging circuit since you can force regen.