Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Prius brake checks me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a Tesla pulling right in front of a fast moving Prius that had already started an overtake in the fast lane. Pretty sure that for this move, in most countries the Tesla driver would be fined when the highway police were to notice.
In Europe of course the Tesla would be fined already when overtaking while in the right hand lane, but that's another story.

I see two drivers who need to go back for more training.

1) Passing to the right is bad.
2) After passing to the right of the CUV, you can easily see there is no place to go. Both lanes ahead are blocked. Relax and pace traffic until there is an opening.
3) Prius driver is practicing for a Darwin Award. If the truck would have braked hard, he'd be the trailer plate.

Both drivers make appointments for defensive driving school, but while waiting visit your psychiatrist and get a prescription for Xanax.

Reactions: Cowby and vandacca
Looks like you cut the guy off, and it appears you knew that too and did it on purpose - the slower car in front of you was waaaay ahead and if you would've waited just 1 sec, the Prius would've passed you.

You were specifically looking for this guy and cut him off on purpose. 100%

EDIT: BTW, I'm not advocating the Prius driver passing on shoulder, but on the other hand what if that's the only choice he got left? Still, not advocating what he did, but confident that the OP is at fault and purposefully too.

I am fascinated that by watching this video you were with 100% certainty able to determine that the OP was "specifically looking for this guy and cut him off on purpose"

With that same level of certainty, I can say 100%
1. You jump to conclusions with little evidence
2. You like to be the guy that say "no" when everyone else says "yes" and vice-a-versa --regardless of circumstances.
3. You believe yourself to always be correct
4.Every thread will have at least one guy, who can take any statement made by the OP and find a way to make an argument out of it.

It looks to me that this happened in a right hand driving country, where the fast lane is the right one and not the left one.
OP shows he's from Maryland, and there is opposite traffic on the left side. This is in the United States, nothing RHD about it.

I agree with others saying that OP should have just stayed in the right lane and let the speeding Prius past. ~~OP may not have cut off the Prius on purpose~~ actually I think it was on purpose, but he did cut him off. It's not OP's job to stop others from speeding. He could've gotten rear-ended.

Last edited:
driving home the other day, this Prius was passing people on the left shoulder and cutting people off as seen here.
Since no one here knows what was happening to the rear of your car during that video clip, perhaps you can explain more fully?

What I saw is that you were in the left hand lane of two lanes (note to everyone: this in the US) on a divided limited access highway, also known as a "freeway". You changed to the right lane to pass a car in the left lane that was ahead of you. In many states that is not a legal passing maneuver. You passed that car and after about 6 seconds tmoved back into the left hand lane.

Almost immediately after you re-entered the left lane a Prius passed you on the shoulder which is illegal in any state as far as I know. Illegal, reckless, and dangerous. The Prius then appeared to cut sharply in front of you and then braked unnecessarily quickly. More reckless behavior on the part of the Prius driver.

From what I can see in the video you didn't do anything wrong. But all I can see is what was ahead of you.

It does appear that the AEB did a good job of detecting the rapidly slowing Prius after it cut in front of you and sounded an alert and applied the brakes appropriately.

Reactions: Dax279 and jonman
I am fascinated that by watching this video you were with 100% certainty able to determine that the OP was "specifically looking for this guy and cut him off on purpose"

With that same level of certainty, I can say 100%
1. You jump to conclusions with little evidence
2. You like to be the guy that say "no" when everyone else says "yes" and vice-a-versa --regardless of circumstances.
3. You believe yourself to always be correct
4.Every thread will have at least one guy, who can take any statement made by the OP and find a way to make an argument out of it.

1. That makes 2 of us, at least, doesn't it? :D Glad to have you in my company.
2. There are at least 3 others in this thread who dont agree that Prius is at fault, dont understand why you're singling me out
3. Well, what can I do, I'm that gooooood :D You should try it too, you'll like it (but, of course, you got to be right first)
4. See #2

As far as why I said "specifically", the OP said:
So, driving home the other day, this Prius was passing people on the left shoulder and cutting people off as seen here
which in my opinion, shows that OP already had beef with the guy.

The OP passed the Jeep on the right, which the Prius guy done as well, probably. So here we go, with the OP in the right lane, knowing that the Prius guy is right behind him (why does he know? because "this Prius was passing people on the left shoulder and cutting people off"). There is slower dark SUV being passed by a truck up ahead. The OP drives at 81 MPH and, while the dark SUV is still a bit ahead, begins merging left SLOWING DOWN AT THE SAME TIME!!! WHY? BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT PRIUS IS RIGHT BEHIND HIM. The OP could've EASILY continued straight at the same speed for just 1 sec longer, which would've allowed the Prius guy to pass, and then merge left!
The Prius guy had balls and gunned it, which pissed the OP even more and he started honking WAY BEFORE THE PRIUS GOT IN FRONT OF HIM and because there is NOTHING he could've done to stop Prius at that time.

The OP knew what he was doing and that's my reasoning for saying that, not "just because".

Once speeds are up over 80mph, I don't want to comment on who is right or wrong.

Some of the worst driving I know of is on the East Coast, around DC (Beltway) - the I-95 corridor is full of entitled (ie. "doctors rushing to surgery") type drivers. I've seen passing numerous times on the shoulder at high speed was near Fredricksburg, VA and Quantico.

As far as why I said "specifically", the OP said:

which in my opinion, shows that OP already had beef with the guy.

The OP passed the Jeep on the right, which the Prius guy done as well, probably. So here we go, with the OP in the right lane, knowing that the Prius guy is right behind him (why does he know? because "this Prius was passing people on the left shoulder and cutting people off"). There is slower dark SUV being passed by a truck up ahead. The OP drives at 81 MPH and, while the dark SUV is still a bit ahead, begins merging left SLOWING DOWN AT THE SAME TIME!!! WHY? BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT PRIUS IS RIGHT BEHIND HIM. The OP could've EASILY continued straight at the same speed for just 1 sec longer, which would've allowed the Prius guy to pass, and then merge left!
The Prius guy had balls and gunned it, which pissed the OP even more and he started honking WAY BEFORE THE PRIUS GOT IN FRONT OF HIM and because there is NOTHING he could've done to stop Prius at that time.

The OP knew what he was doing and that's my reasoning for saying that, not "just because".

I don't agree with the first part of your post, you don't need to respond to that guy.

But the second part, I think you are spot on. This is exactly how I see it. OP knew of the Prius the whole time (which he said in this original post), and purposefully got himself involved with him. Cheers.

Reactions: ABC2D and bonaire
Since no one here knows what was happening to the rear of your car during that video clip, perhaps you can explain more fully?

What I saw is that you were in the left hand lane of two lanes (note to everyone: this in the US) on a divided limited access highway, also known as a "freeway". You changed to the right lane to pass a car in the left lane that was ahead of you. In many states that is not a legal passing maneuver. You passed that car and after about 6 seconds tmoved back into the left hand lane.

Almost immediately after you re-entered the left lane a Prius passed you on the shoulder which is illegal in any state as far as I know. Illegal, reckless, and dangerous. The Prius then appeared to cut sharply in front of you and then braked unnecessarily quickly. More reckless behavior on the part of the Prius driver.

From what I can see in the video you didn't do anything wrong. But all I can see is what was ahead of you.

It does appear that the AEB did a good job of detecting the rapidly slowing Prius after it cut in front of you and sounded an alert and applied the brakes appropriately.
Safe driving is not just about being right. While the Prius didn't play safe at all, the OP is equally at fault and put his much more expensive vehicle and lives and properties of other people at risk. With as much traffic as showing in the video, the OP was clearly weaving at 80mph speed. If he saw the Prius, driving recklessly in his rear view, the safer option would have been to give that driver clear passage so that person can safely get through and the OP and his 100K+ vehicle were out of harms way.

OP shows he's from Maryland, and there is opposite traffic on the left side. This is in the United States, nothing RHD about it.

I agree with others saying that OP should have just stayed in the right lane and let the speeding Prius past. ~~OP may not have cut off the Prius on purpose~~ actually I think it was on purpose, but he did cut him off. It's not OP's job to stop others from speeding. He could've gotten rear-ended.

Wow seeing that all the slow vehicles are in the left lane I would have never guessed this was in the USA...
So the only problem with the Prius is that he was going a bit too fast. Unless it changed to the left lane after the Tesla started the change, the Tesla had to wait for him to get past.

Looks like you cut the guy off, and it appears you knew that too and did it on purpose - the slower car in front of you was waaaay ahead and if you would've waited just 1 sec, the Prius would've passed you.

I Agree

So, the Prius was never in the right lane, ever. He wasn't behind me either when I was passing the Chevy SUV on the right so this is where I made my assumption that he passed the car behind me, the Chevy SUV, and me on the left.

Wow seeing that all the slow vehicles are in the left lane I would have never guessed this was in the USA...
So the only problem with the Prius is that he was going a bit too fast. Unless it changed to the left lane after the Tesla started the change, the Tesla had to wait for him to get past.

There are even signs on many of our highways that say SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT to remind people how to operate a motor vehicle and they still drive slow in the 'fast' lane.

I blame the schools. Many schools abolished driver's education or curtailed the programs due to legal liability issues. Deep pocket doctrine strikes again, this time killing people.

Please tell us more.
Comments here seem confused ...

1. Location?
State/ city / Country?

2. Is the Prius just flying down the road passing people on the thin fast lane shoulder?

3. Did you cut off the black Prius.
(Any rear cam video?)

4. Song playing on radio before blowing your horn?

Thanks for Sharing.

I'd happy to clear the air as it seems many are getting mad about this situation. Lol.

1. MD/PA border on I-83 USA
2. Never saw the Prius until he passed that gray Chevy SUV on the left and then he passed me. He wasn't behind me either when I was behind the gray Chevy SUV. I think he was at least one to two cars behind me. I looked once to see if left was clear, it was, signaled, AP changed lanes for me, Prius says hello.
3. I wish I had a rear cam to prove my case but when I moved left there was no Prius, only the gray Chevy SUV
4. I'll get back to you on this one as my work computer has the audio muted and admin rights are needed to change it

I agree that overtaking on the right is bad, but until you drive in North America, you don't understand the situation here. There is no lane etiquette here whatsoever, and you'll have grandmothers driving in the left-most lane doing 80km/h when the speed limit is 100km/h. Until slow, non-passing left-lane drivers also get fined, you can't single out people passing on the right.

Anyway, that Prius was probably driving very aggressively (and fast) and also passed that Silver Jeep in the right-lane and then back into the left-lane to over-take the OP Tesla. The Prius was definitely driving very aggressively, and I agree that the Tesla likely cut off the Prius. However, the unpredictable Prius driver should expect and react to other vehicles on the road because they are driving in a more predictable manner.

The Prius was never in the right lane and was never directly behind me. There was a F250 behind me and I think the Prius was directly following him and passed him on the left then just kept on going up until he got scared by the semi.

I was completely settled in my lane when the Prius came on my left. I saw him pass the Chevy and thought..."this guy is nuts" then he says hello to me. Lol.

There are even signs on many of our highways that say SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT to remind people how to operate a motor vehicle and they still drive slow in the 'fast' lane.

I blame the schools. Many schools abolished driver's education or curtailed the programs due to legal liability issues. Deep pocket doctrine strikes again, this time killing people.

Totally agree. Many mixed speeds on that route. Some go 65, others 75, 80, and 85 and they are all in the left lane, always! I like to cruise at 80 and I stay right when there isn't a lot of traffic on the road.