Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 2013 MS85 in to a Tesla Service Center and a technician came out with a TPMS diagnostic tool. He used the tool to check each tire and reported that 3 of my sensors were "dead" and the 4th registered 2.1 volts (and that the TPMS required 2.9V in order to read the sensor). Even though the sensors were working in the prior release, his recommendation was that I replace all the sensors.

Reactions: mswlogo
2013 P85 with Baolong - same problem here:
Light came on - drove to Discount Tire - one sensor inop - replaced all 4 with eBay sensors from TireNation (good reviews, worked on other MS from 2013) - error presented. Drove to Tesla service center - their tool can not even pick up a signal from aftermarket sensors - they advised to buy OEM sensors at $75/each + labor = about $500 - no thanks. Took old OEM sensor apart with hope to replace battery - destroyed it)) Now what? I am not paying $500 for stupid TPMS that doesn’t even show tire pressure readings!

Hi Axela1865,

I regard to your question about removing power: The antennas store the addresses of the tires.
All 4 tires are stored in each antenna... The antennas maintain the addresses without power.
If either of your antennas have a complete set of addresses,
your system will work if 3 other prerequisites are met:
1 your sensors match the addresses in the working antenna.
2 your sensors have good batteries.
3 the TPMS ECU is in working order

REMEMBER: These sensors were designed without replaceable batteries.
The projected life of these batteries is 5 years.
Most of these cars are 5 years old or older...
The sensors will need to be replaced... sooner or later. All makes, all models...

Shawn

Reactions: drklain
2013 P85 with Baolong - same problem here:
Light came on - drove to Discount Tire - one sensor inop - replaced all 4 with eBay sensors from TireNation (good reviews, worked on other MS from 2013) - error presented. Drove to Tesla service center - their tool can not even pick up a signal from aftermarket sensors - they advised to buy OEM sensors at $75/each + labor = about $500 - no thanks. Took old OEM sensor apart with hope to replace battery - destroyed it)) Now what? I am not paying $500 for stupid TPMS that doesn’t even show tire pressure readings!
Exactly my case. Bought from TireNation, did not work. Can not even return them, as I'm international buyer.
Looking to get programmable Autel MX universal sensor and program it.

Reactions: mambro
I have a 2013 Model S P85 with Gen1 sensors. I just switched over to my winter tires and had the same issue with the reset button disappearing. However I did switch my wheels in the service area to the 19” slipstreams and the car went through the full reboot. After reboot I drove for about 10mins and the TPMS sensors were recognized by the car and all has been working well since.

Software is 2019.36.2.7

2013 SP85+ Lot's of confusion in this thread. First If you have a late 2014 S or later Model S and you have the GEN 2 or Continental SYSTEM, i.e. your car displays all four tires pressures, etc. Must have the Continental (or clone) TPMS sensors with the GEN 2 system. If you have a 2012 thru early 2014 Model S you have the GEN 1 system with the Baolong sensors (or their clone) and your car does not display the individual tire pressures. An exception to this would be if you had your GEN 1 TPMS system (not just the tire sensors but the receiver in the car as well) updated to the current GEN 2 system. GEN 2 sensors will NOT work on a GEN 1 system.

Those of us with GEN 1 get a TPMS fault message when we change the sensor or swap to snow tires. Inexplicably, the RESET TPMS button in the Service screen was removed by Tesla in a recent Software update and contrary to "Mr TPMS's" statement. this button DID allow the car to recognize the new sensor in the GEN 1 system. If you swap tires or sensors in a GEN 2 system, the GEN 2 system automatically recognizes the new sensor so no RESET button needed. As others have suggested, I suspect that Tesla eliminated the RESET button either because they "forgot" about GEN 1 cars OR decided it was tim for GEN 1 owners to start spending more at the SCs.

I have the same problem as the others with GEN 1. After replacing all 4 Sensors with programmed Baolong replacements (mine are manufactured by ITM), I receive the TPMS monitoring fault. I am still waiting on Tesla SC to get back with me an appointment to quote the price reprogram via the mobile ranger program.

I have updated to 2019.36.2.7 SW version as well and recently tried resetting the wheel size and hitting confirm and the system completely rebooted. I am aware the changing wheel size button existed prior to this update but when I tried it before I don't remember it rebooting the system. Unfortunately after resetting the wheel size, confirming, waiting for the reboot then driving for approximately 30 minutes, no joy, TPMS fault message still there.

I think it would be helpful going forward for posts on this thread to start with the type of sensor, either Gen 1 or Gen 2, or the model and year. I think the GEN 1 problem is the only one that is still unsolved and likely to be unless Tesla reinstalls the RESET button. Otherwise if you are a GEN 1 owner and have solved this issue please Post.

Thank You

I think it would be helpful going forward for posts on this thread to start with the type of sensor, either Gen 1 or Gen 2, or the model and year. I think the GEN 1 problem is the only one that is still unsolved and likely to be unless Tesla reinstalls the RESET button. Otherwise if you are a GEN 1 owner and have solved this issue please Post.

Thank You
March 2014 P85, so definitely a Gen 1 system. Winter tires/wheels/sensors were purchased as a set from TireRack 2 years ago (October 2017). Firmware is 2019.36.2.7. I’ve been trying all the tricks posted here (drive further, change wheel type, rinse, repeat) since putting them on the car Nov 1 with no luck.

Finally went to the local tire shop on Thursday to have those 2-year old sensors checked and, lo and behold, one was dead and the other three were on life support. I had the tech replace the sensors with a set he said were compatible - he mentioned using the OBD port as part of the process, but no details about that.

The error message continued during the drive home - about 13 miles. The next day, I changed the wheel type before driving off just to see if that made any difference - and the “TPMS Reset Complete” dialog appeared within a mile and a half. Based on the distance, I’d guess that it was driving ~15 miles that did the job rather than the wheel type change.

I’ll post the specifics about the replacement sensors once I get the invoice, as well as any special procedures that were followed (e.g. cloning the IDs) but the message here is:

Relatively “young” sensors can fail, so get them checked if you’re having this issue. Makes me wonder if TireRack has a back stock of the older sensors whose battery life is ticking down...

• Informative
Reactions: PaulusdB
@snellenr That is very encouraging! When you get the info on the sensors it would be great if you could also include any remarks regarding the OBD port operations if they describe it. And to be clear your car does not report the individual tire pressures, correct? That is the most definitive distinction between GEN 1 and GEN 2 TPMS systems.

Thanks!
2013 P85+

@snellenr That is very encouraging! When you get the info on the sensors it would be great if you could also include any remarks regarding the OBD port operations if they describe it. And to be clear your car does not report the individual tire pressures, correct? That is the most definitive distinction between GEN 1 and GEN 2 TPMS systems.

Thanks!
2013 P85+
Will do! And yes, I definitely have the GEN 1 sensor system, in all its glorious simplicity... :rolleyes:

Hi All,

After further study I have to amend my statements regarding Model S TPMS.
I made a BAD assumption that since the hardware on older cars was Baolong
it was the same as the Baolong on the Roadster...
It is NOT the same as the Roadster. I will lay out the differences:
The Roadster had 2 antennas: 1 front and 1 back.
They were mounted underneath the car and above the aero shields.
The Roadster also had a TPMS ECU that is in the dashboard mess of components.
When sensors in Roadster were changed to DIFFERENT ADDRESSES the Telsa TPMS
tool was necessary to load the ECU with these new addresses.
This occurred through the OBD port located at the LHD driver's right knee by K-line transmissions.
IF the sensors were replace with cloned (or identical addressed sensors) into their respective locations
the Tesla tool was not necessary...

Now for the Model S:
Someone above made a very good distinction:
If your TPMS NEVER showed tire pressures in the display. (AND you are not using hacked programming
to show tire pressures) You have a Gen 1 Baolong system.
The Baolong system in Model S is considerably simpler than in the Roadster.
2 antennas and the ECU are combined into a single part ECU/Antenna combination.
This is part number 1004624-00-D or other letter revisions.
This part memorizes the sensor addresses and also must be programmed by the Tesla TPMS Tool.
This time the tool delivers the programming on the CAN bus - The tool is attached to a diagnostic connector
below the main display.
When your TPMS sensors' batteries expire the sensor needs to be replaced.
Imagine if you will your tires' addresses are: A, B, C, and D.
They are memorized in to the ECU/Antenna when the car was first manufactured.
If you have these cloned and replace them with A, B, C, and D in their respective locations
there is no need for reprogramming, a button, or the Tesla tool.
The addresses are the same as they always were, they stopped working, and now they work again.
HOWEVER if you replace them with new pre-programmed sensors with addresses E, F, G, and H
the car has no idea what these addresses are or where they are located.
The Tesla tool is needed to update to the new addresses.
The Tool "wakes up" the sensors and tells them to report.
Imagine all 4 new sensors report their addresses - the car reads 4 addresses but has no way to determine
their location in the car... that is why the Tesla tool is necessary for new addressed sensors to assign them
to their proper location.

If you have EVER shown tire pressures on your display (AND you are not using hacked programming)
to show the pressures - you have a Gen 2 Continental system generally available in 2015.
This system was retrofitted to much earlier cars than I had expected.
At least some 2013 cars were updated to this system...

Shawn

Now for the Model S:
Someone above made a very good distinction:
If your TPMS NEVER showed tire pressures in the display. (AND you are not using hacked programming
to show tire pressures) You have a Gen 1 Baolong system.
The Baolong system in Model S is considerably simpler than in the Roadster.
2 antennas and the ECU are combined into a single part ECU/Antenna combination.
This is part number 1004624-00-D or other letter revisions.
This part memorizes the sensor addresses and also must be programmed by the Tesla TPMS Tool.
This time the tool delivers the programming on the CAN bus - The tool is attached to a diagnostic connector
below the main display.
When your TPMS sensors' batteries expire the sensor needs to be replaced.
Imagine if you will your tires' addresses are: A, B, C, and D.
They are memorized in to the ECU/Antenna when the car was first manufactured.
If you have these cloned and replace them with A, B, C, and D in their respective locations
there is no need for reprogramming, a button, or the Tesla tool.
The addresses are the same as they always were, they stopped working, and now they work again.
HOWEVER if you replace them with new pre-programmed sensors with addresses E, F, G, and H
the car has no idea what these addresses are or where they are located.
The Tesla tool is needed to update to the new addresses.
The Tool "wakes up" the sensors and tells them to report.
Imagine all 4 new sensors report their addresses - the car reads 4 addresses but has no way to determine
their location in the car... that is why the Tesla tool is necessary for new addressed sensors to assign them
to their proper location.

This is not accurate at all. My 2013 P85+ had the Gen1 Baolong TPMS system, and I could swap my summer and winter wheels twice a year, and no "Tesla tool" was needed, only the "Tire Change/Reset TPMS" button on the MCU was needed to reset the sensors. And I didn't "clone" the sensors either.

I still have four Gen1 TPMS sensors for sale if anyone needs them. PM me an offer.

Hi Swdunne,

Yes the IDs or addresses are 8 characters in length...
If they have an address on them they cannot be changed...
If your old sensors have the number on them they can be cloned to new ones...
They should work without the Tesla tool...

Shawn

Hi HankLloydRight and zwede,

Of course you are correct.
Where I have trouble learning and programming between Roadster which does read pressure in each tire
and Model S is the situation where Model S old Baolong (NOT HACKED) does not read pressures
per each tire...
As this system is virtually meaningless the location of the tire is not necessary.
If I lived closer I would love to check your tire addresses with my TPMS tool...
How do you know your sensors were not cloned???
Please do not tell me that you are getting pressure readouts and their locations
as I will be inclined to disagree......................

I have added the exclusion "NOT HACKED" because I recently have been made aware of some
work that with additional hardware and software is able to make the old sensors show pressures.......

Sorry to have tried to help...

Shawn

Please do not tell me that you are getting pressure readouts and their locations
I have added the exclusion "NOT HACKED"

Ok, let me be extremely clear here.

1. My sensors were NOT CLONED. I bought them from a Tesla service center, new in a small white box. They were installed in my winter wheels by a local tire shop. Nothing was cloned.
2. My 2013 P85+ was the Gen1 Baolong system and I DID NOT GET individual pressure readouts.
3. My TPMS system was NOT HACKED.
4. No "Tesla Tool" was ever used to switch the TPMS sensors when I swapped wheels twice a year.

Whatever you're getting at, or believe or are posting about the Gen1 TPMS system is inaccurate or just plain wrong.

Are we clear now?

Because I ordered complete 20" wheels from tirerack with new sensors already installed. Tirerack didn't clone anything before shipping the wheels to me. After I installed them I got the TPMS error as expected. After doing the TPMS reset via the (at the time available) button on the MCU the new sensors were accepted.

It will only say 'tire pressure low' or 'tire pressure very low'. No location.

Whatever you're getting at, or believe or are posting about the Gen1 TPMS system is inaccurate or just plain wrong.

I would second HankLloydWright here. The fact is that many of us "early adopters" with the old (2012-2014) Baolong sensors were able to have these replaced - and reset - by pressing the TPMS button. We didn't need to get Tesla to come and do this for us; neither did we need to clone anything. The TMPS button basically listened for the four sensors and (somehow, mysteriously, magically) reprogrammed itself. It worked.

Without that TPMS button, we're stuck. And since many of us are swapping over to winter tyres now, the situation is dire. Does Tesla really want to have to pay to send its rangers out to each and every one of us to reset our tyres twice a year?! (I'm not paying - so they're the ones who either need to repair their software, or guarantee to provide ranger service for the lifetime of our cars).

Reactions: HankLloydRight
For those of you who are still having this problem...

I have a 2013 S85 with the Gen1 system and sensors (no PSI readout).

I have 2 sets of tires (summer and winter).

When I switched to winter tires this year I obviously had TPMS errors since there was no "reset" button to force the car to look for new TPMS.

After scheduling service a couple times and waiting a couple weeks for a solution, they finally contacted me and WERE ABLE TO REMOTELY (I.E. OTA) PUT THE CAR INTO THE TPMS RESET MODE. I then drove a mile or so and got a message "TPMS Reset Completed."

No issues since then (2 weeks ago).

There now is a "ticket" in Tesla's system about this issue and if you contact service they will be able to do this remotely. You do NOT need to go to a service center or pay anything.

They are also "planning to fix this" in a future software release.

You're welcome. ;)

While @thefortunes may be 100% correct about future upgrades by Tesla, given the extreme variations between Service Center "Give A S..t" (better know as GAS) and the complete disarray at Tesla the prospects for a reliable fix is pretty remote.

As an intermediate fix, FWIW, I was fortunate enough to have my original, yet dying sensors to pull the codes from. So I am in the process of recoding my Baolong replacement sensors to match the original ID codes, the idea being that the car will see the 4 ID codes it is used to seeing and not know the difference. And yes the Sensor IDs can be reprogrammed, just depends on the make of the sensor as to which tool must be used... yet another impediment admittedly. Interestingly, the IDs of three of my four sensors are exactly the same, the fourth one no doubt the result of a replacement at some point in time. Because GEN1 does not display individual tire pressures I surmise that the IDs can all be the same or all different, they just need to match what is stored in the vehicles ECU since that ECU is no longer able to relearn new codes (at least for a while)

I will follow up when I have the replacement sensors with the original codes installed.

2013 P85+