Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS sensor not reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M.Y 2021. The rear driver side tire pressure warning came up. I checked the pressure and even filled up to require psi, but still get the warning. It says pressure is 33 psi but when I measure using 2 different instruments, it is 42psi. I don’t know why it will not reset. Even tried soft boot, but still no change. Does anyone know how to reset TPMS?

Thanks!

Solution
Ok, problem solved! Just like @KFox mentioned above. I had rotation done couple of months ago and turns out system was flagging incorrect tire. This may be bug in software rather then glitch. Anyway, after filling air in correct tire, the sensor is calibrated and happy :)
I had a similar issue this week. Manual says you need to drive at greater than 15 mph for around 20 minutes and it will autolearn and recalibrate. It won't be immediate after adding air to the tire. I reached out to service and they said the same thing.

Also, I could not find any way to manually recalibrate the TPMS sensors. Check to make sure you have the correct wheel configuration selected in your settings too. That will throw off the TPMS sensor if not correct. Otherwise, I would reach out to service if it doesn't correct itself after driving for a bit. At that point you might have a faulty TPMS.

Upvote 0
Be careful. I had the same issue, but then it ended up being that another tire (other than the one being flagged by the computer on screen) was losing air and becoming flat. This was because I rotated the tires a few months back and the TPMs never recalibrated to new positions on screen for whatever reason.

Had learned this the hard way while driving...

Upvote 0
I got the same issue after vacation last week (I assumed it could be software problems, but did not find any posts here that time).

For me, both front tires show readings in yellow (1 psi lower than both rear tires) with warning sign on screen of course.

Got all 4 tires pumped, and the warning sign was still there for at least 3 days I remember. Still thinking it shoukd be software glitch.

Upvote 0
Oh, right. I did tire rotation few months back. I’ll check to see if it reporting for incorrect tire. Also, there used to be TPMS reset on GUI but don’t know after what update they took it off:(
I do not think that is the problem if TPMS are working properly. Vehicle will automatically detects the correct position of each tire from ABS system (I have asked one of the TPMS engineers about how it works).

Upvote 0
I rotated the tires on my Tesla Model Y 3000 miles ago. Yesterday there was a warning that the tire pressure on the rear right was low. I immediately added pressure to the tire. I was in a hurry so I only visually inspected the other tires. All looked fine. I still had the warning for the right rear tire, so I assumed the sensor had an issue. Later going home, it was clear that I had a flat. I pulled over only to find that my right front tire was flat. 3 hours later AAA came to transport the car to the tire company. The tire was "no more". Now buying 2 new tires. Fooled by my "smart" car. Watch out. If your monitor shows all tires are fine you may still have a misleading indicator if one goes bad. Not a happy camper.

Upvote 0
I rotated the tires on my Tesla Model Y 3000 miles ago. Yesterday there was a warning that the tire pressure on the rear right was low. I immediately added pressure to the tire. I was in a hurry so I only visually inspected the other tires. All looked fine. I still had the warning for the right rear tire, so I assumed the sensor had an issue. Later going home, it was clear that I had a flat. I pulled over only to find that my right front tire was flat. 3 hours later AAA came to transport the car to the tire company. The tire was "no more". Now buying 2 new tires. Fooled by my "smart" car. Watch out. If your monitor shows all tires are fine you may still have a misleading indicator if one goes bad. Not a happy camper.
When you say the tire was no more do you mean it wasn't available to be purchased? In my experience more tire shops don't carry the OEM Continentals in store, but have them available for order. Because of this I ended up purchasing a gemini wheel off eBay and had a new tire mounted which I keep at home.

Upvote 0
Ok, problem solved! Just like @KFox mentioned above. I had rotation done couple of months ago and turns out system was flagging incorrect tire. This may be bug in software rather then glitch. Anyway, after filling air in correct tire, the sensor is calibrated and happy :)
Thanks for the info. Have a 2022 MYLR. Rear passenger side was reading low. Filled only that one and warning didn’t go away. Read this post, filled front passenger side and it was in fact low. Not sure why it’s reading the wrong one.

Upvote 0
My TPMS sensors were not registering on my Model S. I went to Discount Tires and they told me that they were bad. So I had all four of them replaced and they said within 20 minutes they should start registering. It’s been two days now and nothing. Anybody have any ideas?
1) You're in the wrong forum - The Model S forum will be more helpful most likely
2) Sounds like Discount didn't even test them. Four sensors don't fail simultaneously. Easy to check with a handheld scan tool, walking around the car to send a signal to each sensor. They would report pressure temperature and battery health back to the tool.

Upvote 0
1) You're in the wrong forum - The Model S forum will be more helpful most likely
2) Sounds like Discount didn't even test them. Four sensors don't fail simultaneously. Easy to check with a handheld scan tool, walking around the car to send a signal to each sensor. They would report pressure temperature and battery health back to the tool.
He has a 2013 MS so most likely they are all bad, sensors last from 5-12 years being the non replaceable battery dies. Only alternative is to get new ones.

Upvote 0
I would double check if they installed the correct sensors as your earlier MS does not use the newer Bluetooth sensors they now use across the board.

All the newer Teslas now use the same bluetooth type TPMS. It all started with the release of the MY which first had them then the M3 eventually followed suit. The refreshed MS and X also have them. Anything prior to this had RF style sensors just like the rest of the world. I believe Tesla is the only manufacturer using bluetooth at this point unless others some have started recently.

Between our 2 cars (both bluetooth) I must say they work like a charm with no intervention even though we change to our winter set of wheels and back every spring. Everything always registers without fail.

Upvote 0