Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS tire location wrong after rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, under Tire Configuration:

After the tires on Model Y are rotated, replaced, or swapped, update your vehicle's tire configuration by touching Reset, or by touching Wheel & Tire > Tires from the same screen. This allows your vehicle to reset the learned tire settings and improve your driving experience.  This also clears and resets the tread wear alert for the vehicle until you travel 6,250 miles and low tread depth is detected again.

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - US

I did this at least 3 times. Rebooted car over and over. Lowered tire pressure to get alarm. And yet 27,000 miles after rotating tires, front and back are still reversed. As I said in a previuos post on this thread, I suspect a lot of cars have this issue, but it's just not very noticeable.

I really don't care anymore. It's really not a big deal. I put air in as needed with a digital inflator. If a tire shows low on the display screen, I know which one it is.

I did this at least 3 times. Rebooted car over and over. Lowered tire pressure to get alarm. And yet 27,000 miles after rotating tires, front and back are still reversed. As I said in a previuos post on this thread, I suspect a lot of cars have this issue, but it's just not very noticeable.

I really don't care anymore. It's really not a big deal. I put air in as needed with a digital inflator. If a tire shows low on the display screen, I know which one it is.
Tesla wheels or aftermarket wheels?

If you’re still within warranty, why don’t you just put in a service ticket? Seems kinda ridiculous that you’d go 27,000 miles with an issue and not have it fixed.

Reactions: FlyerDude
Stock Tesla Gemini 19" wheels and original Continental tires.
I would open a Service Request with Tesla Service via the Tesla app. Briefly explain that after your most recent tire rotation (6000 miles ago) the TPMS still has not reset for the new wheel/tire locations. Tesla may be aware of the issue and inform you that it is a known issue that will be fixed in a later software update.

I would open a Service Request with Tesla Service via the Tesla app. Briefly explain that after your most recent tire rotation (6000 miles ago) the TPMS still has not reset for the new wheel/tire locations. Tesla may be aware of the issue and inform you that it is a known issue that will be fixed in a later software update.

I'm just over 6000 miles, and Tesla has swapped wheels around to troubleshoot my vibration issues. They also replace a tire with a catastrophic foam issue. The TPMS sensors have never reset or relearned their proper position. I took it in again, they did the tire service reset, and they're still not reporting the correct locations.
I have an appointment in the next couple of weeks for them to look at it again.. By then I'll have rotated my tires, and hit the service reset - we'll see if the TPMS fixes itself before the service appointment or not.

Made an account to say I am having the same issue. So with mine, I just got new tires. The passenger side after leaving was reading 27 and 30... I went back the next day and they told me to drive a bunch of miles to reset it. Ok fine. I checked the passenger side, all 42. I drove 300 miles over the weekend and it never went away. I went to the tire place again, and they kept telling me it wasnt them... it was Tesla. Finally I talked them into checking the tires for me, passengers all 42. But I had him to do driver side, 26 and 30... so the screen was telling me the wrong tires.. and caused a lot of frustration. Like you said, I think this happens more than we think, but people dont know.

Reactions: CaseyL and Chewy13
Adding that I just ran into the same issue. 22 model Y. I just swapped tires (from continentals to michelin x-ice snows for winter) on existing gemini wheels. Did a costoco tire swap. Pretty sure they placed the actual wheels in different spots. While there rear left was stating low from the TPMS at 31psi while all others were ~42. Had them check, add air. I did do the tire swap reset on the service menu. Still off, but figured it would adjust after driving. Then drove off.

Several days later it didn't update so I checked all tire pressures. FRONT left was low vs REAR left as stated on screen from the TPMS. I obviously pumped them up to pressure, TPMS updated as expected, just wrong wheel, and will check again soon, by lowering, checking on screen, etc after driving a few hundred more miles to see if it fixes itself.

I am still having this issue after driving a few hundred miles (tire rotation and Service/…. Reset).
(BTW. I found this thread by googling)
If you create a service request with Tesla, please ask the tech if this has been a common issue (I'm sure it is, just curious if it's getting reported or if people even are noticing).

I suspect to get this fixed we'll have to make it their problem, IE using up a bunch of time on mobile service to swap the hardware or remote hands on to manually change the reported locations (if they can even do that).

If you create a service request with Tesla, please ask the tech if this has been a common issue (I'm sure it is, just curious if it's getting reported or if people even are noticing).

I suspect to get this fixed we'll have to make it their problem, IE using up a bunch of time on mobile service to swap the hardware or remote hands on to manually change the reported locations (if they can even do that).
I just remembered that I didn’t have this problem with the first tire rotation and I didn’t have to do the reset. Weird!

It clearly is a bug that worked its way into the code. I haven’t had issues prior years but did sometime this spring (February-April time frame).

It could also be a limitation of the technology. If it’s just looking for signal strength of the Bluetooth TPMS sensor and making the assumption that it’s A, B, C, and D strengths away from the receiver - that those correlate to certain positions on the car.
Obviously it’s hit or miss.. The way to solve this is to code each sensor in the car, but usually that requires a speciality tool. It would be nice if they could allow this in Service Mode - though I’m not sure how you would identify each tire, unless you fluctuated the air pressure to ID each TPMS sensor.

Reactions: fiehlsport
The funny thing is, I don't think such a tool exists to map the sensors to the car, unless it's something within the service department laptops only.

This tool is Tesla's "official" BT TPMS reader (This vendor sells tons of Tesla-official tools) and it doesn't offer any way of linking to the car. It just reads them. The latest Autel scan tools also read Tesla BT sensors now, but they don't link with the car in any way to map them.

It seems that the only way for an end-user to fix this issue now is to swap wheels back and forth on the display and drive the car for a bit for it to re-learn the positions, in the hopes that it gets it right. There is also a "Reset learned tire pressure values" button in Service mode under Chassis - but I haven't messed with that yet. Probably does the same thing though.

I am having a similar problem on my MX with Bluetooth sensors. I recently swapped into my winter tires/wheels which have the original sensor that the car came with. These worked fine last winter. However, now only two of the sensors are connecting and they are both mapped to the wrong wheel. Front right is actually the rear left wheel and front left is actually the rear right wheel. I've done all that is possible except for submitting a service ticket.

I am having a similar problem on my MX with Bluetooth sensors. I recently swapped into my winter tires/wheels which have the original sensor that the car came with. These worked fine last winter. However, now only two of the sensors are connecting and they are both mapped to the wrong wheel. Front right is actually the rear left wheel and front left is actually the rear right wheel. I've done all that is possible except for submitting a service ticket.

I feel your pain.

Mine have been wrong for about 36,000 miles. You get used to it.