Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done one recently? Would you mind sharing a copy of your invoice? I had a couple of kind members send me theirs where the pricing out the door was slightly less than $600.

I've been working with the Cleveland SC. Unfortunately they are telling me the cost of the TPMS sensors have gone up to $107 each unit, rather than the $50. They claim this was effective January 2017. So they estimate the upgrade will be between $700-800.

Initially when I spoke with them a month ago, they quoted me almost $1,200 to do the upgrade. I wrote back indicating I was shocked ... most manufacturers as they increase their production have lower parts costs. The cost of the sensors which I can source aftermarket for between $160-200 seems to be excessive.

My car is a '14 P85.

• Helpful
Reactions: cry808
The cleveland SC has been all over the place with their pricing for me. Seems like every time I talk to someone I get a different price, by a large amount!!! They also wouldn't send me a quote via email, everything is done over the phone.

Does something need to be done software wise to show the individual tire pressures or is it just the sensors themselves?

The SC was unable to advise which route it would take. One involved replacing a wiring harness, reader unit, and the four sensors. The other involved a reader unit and four sensors. Both would require some sort of software update. It would enable individual pressure to be read on each tire, versus the Baolong system.

Mind you I also found out my Service Advisor is no longer with the company and I've just started working with someone from the MO office. I've asked if they could just do the reader/harness/whatever was needed to the car and I would just source the TPMS sensors separately, since I can still get 4 of them for $160-200, and not $107 each.

Porsche has a similar 'problem' in that a dealer charges close to $200 for TPMS. Per Wheel.

When I brought my 2013 Cayenne S home, literally the next week the TPMS sensors in the rear started showing low signals.

I looked around - and found Porsche compatible for $30 each on Amazon and my local Americas Tire Center charged me $20 a wheel to install them, rebalanced the tires and then rotated them for free . . .

There is NO reason to pay Tesla $200 a wheel for these . . .

Its a standard frequency TPS for gosh sakes. . ..

Porsche has a similar 'problem' in that a dealer charges close to $200 for TPMS. Per Wheel.

When I brought my 2013 Cayenne S home, literally the next week the TPMS sensors in the rear started showing low signals.

I looked around - and found Porsche compatible for $30 each on Amazon and my local Americas Tire Center charged me $20 a wheel to install them, rebalanced the tires and then rotated them for free . . .

There is NO reason to pay Tesla $200 a wheel for these . . .

Its a standard frequency TPS for gosh sakes. . ..

My issue is that up until January of this year, they charged $50 per sensor. All of a sudden in January they decided to double the price per wheel. That's the issue. Not a new part. Nothing has changed there. Just a sudden increase in price. The wiring harness and receiver modules all remained the same price as the quotes I have from 2016.

Really what's the issue with Tesla's TPMSs system? Is there a complete fix? I have the extended warranty on my car from previous owner. will they upgrade/fix everything so that it will NEVER happen again!

Is it the TPMS?
Is it the receivers in the car?

Are there aftermarket TPMS that don't ever fail?

My scenario:
-bought used 2013 P85
-aftermarket wheels with aftermarket sensors. Error'ing out when the weather changed to COLD
WOULD SC, help for fix aftermarket?

-I have a set of oem wheels I just bought with oem sensors I bought seperately. Thinking about mounting these and then bringing it in to fix if there is a error code still.

Does the quoted price include TPMs that they ar charging $100+ for?

The price covers this;
Quote.jpeg

Just put a set of Arachnids on my MS with Gen 1 TPMS. Since the wheels already have the new TPMS the Raleigh service center told me they need to install a new TPMS module and antenna. Total cost was quoted at ~$350.

The service TPMS notification is pretty annoying so I will definitely have the work done. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: mambro
I just had this upgrade performed on my 2013 Model S. I was quoted $680, but they actually charged me something just under $500. I think they may have given me credit for the recently replaced first gen sensor. Second gen sensor gives specific pressure measurements, so that's cool. Hoping the second gen batteries last longer.