Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TRACK MODE V2 DISCUSSION THREAD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dangerous Fish

Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2016
UK
I couldn't see a master thread about TM2 so thought it a good idea to start one as we're bound to have observations, tips and bug reports once we start using it.

I'll start - when the video and telemetry files are created in the TeslaTrackMode folder, the video files appear to have a UTC timestamp (which matches the filename) whereas the .CSV files have a timestamp 7 hours behind, but the filename is UTC, just like the video. I can live with it, but why does that happen?

Where are lap times stored? I thought they'd be in a separate .CSV file, but I just did a quick test around the block and they were recoded on the screen but not in a file.

Has anyone figured out what the 'balance' slider actually alters?

I think its pretty painfully obvious that the Handling Balance slider alters the power bias between the front and rear wheels. There's gotta be what, like a million and one YouTube videos about it at this point...

It's really not as obvious as you say. Power delivery between front and rear is never 50/50 with track mode V1 on or off. The maximum split is around 65/35 if you look at the data from SMT.
So if it is only affecting power bias, what is the F/R output at the far left and the far right of the scale with V2?
Show me one YT video explaining this in detail. I've not seen one yet. Kids doing donuts in car parks tells me very little.

I'm not sure what's confusing. The F/R output is whatever you set the slider to. All the way to the right (0|100) is 100% bias to the rear wheels as clearly indicated by the graphic on the slider. 100|0 is 100% bias to the front wheels also clearly indicated by the graphic on the slider. Here is additional info given directly on screen:

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    934.9 KB · Views: 87
I'm not sure what's confusing. The F/R output is whatever you set the slider to. All the way to the right (0|100) is 100% bias to the rear wheels as clearly indicated by the graphic on the slider. 100|0 is 100% bias to the front wheels also clearly indicated by the graphic on the slider. Here is additional info given directly on screen:

But it doesn't 100% do what you set it to. For example have it set to 100% FWD and floor it with the steering wheel straight and it still gives both motors full beans.

So you're saying that 100% to the left is putting all the power to the front wheels and 100% to the right puts all the power to the rear wheels?

Here's a clue - it doesn't do that.

That's why I'm asking the question and hoping somebody has done some testing to find out what it is actually doing.

Reactions: Jedi2155
My guess is when you have the steering wheel straight it gives power to both motors irrespective of where you have the slider, but once you turn the steering wheel past a certain point it follows the balance as you have set. Just my two cents no real data to back this up.

My guess is when you have the steering wheel straight it gives power to both motors irrespective of where you have the slider, but once you turn the steering wheel past a certain point it follows the balance as you have set. Just my two cents no real data to back this up.

Yep, I believe someone was discussing this on Reddit. I think it also depends on where you have the Stability Control set to.

This is about the best video I'be seen so far which tries to get to the bottom of what the sliders do.

I've done some testing today with SMT and regardless of where you put the 'balance' slider, the rear motor only is driving the car forward under a constant throttle. Just as normal.

If you accelerate hard in a straight line, power is fed to the front, but never 100% to the front. Even if the slider is at the far right, power is still fed to the front when accelerating.

Steering angle probably comes into it but there is more going on than just motor power ratio front and rear.
I don't believe TM2 is going to give you the same freedom as dyno mode but I'm yet to test them side by side.

I went to try Track Mode V2 at my local racetrack (Icar Google Maps). The track course doesn't show on the map and therefore, many of TM2 are useless (lap time and camera view). Is there a way to add a track map to Tesla navigation system? (adding the track course to google map perhaps?)

How do you mean? There is a track there on Google maps.

Maybe this helps - if the track is where I've drawn the blue line, you just choose where you want the start/finish line to be and press and hold that place on the map in the Track Mode screen and it will place the marker there to use for lap times etc.
The actual track does not have to appear on the map. The software just uses the GPS coordinates you have chosen as the S/F line.

Untitled-1.jpg

Reactions: MP3Mike
Maybe this helps - if the track is where I've drawn the blue line, you just choose where you want the start/finish line to be and press and hold that place on the map in the Track Mode screen and it will place the marker there to use for lap times etc.
The actual track does not have to appear on the map. The software just uses the GPS coordinates you have chosen as the S/F line.

View attachment 555669
Thanks for the tips. I thought I did that (press and hold) but it did not seems to work. I only tried once and I had no time as the lapping session was starting. I will try again in a parking lot and verify if it work without an actual road or if I was simply not persistant enough. I'll let you know.

View attachment 555669
IT WORKS! Thank you #Electric Dream. I just did not understood how this works. Thanks to you, I'll have a much more exiting next lapping session.
TM2 without road works.PNG

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
This. Doesn't appear to be a way to shut the nannies off 100%. First night I got V2, I went out & did some phat neighborhood skids and it was WAY too easy... so there's definitely still some sort of "traction control" going on. Maybe once we see an electric car with a proper LSD we'll know whether it's even possible to have it "off?" From what I've heard, it's not so simple w/ electric motors since they can spin up to 1,000 mph in an instant.

This. Doesn't appear to be a way to shut the nannies off 100%. First night I got V2, I went out & did some phat neighborhood skids and it was WAY too easy... so there's definitely still some sort of "traction control" going on. Maybe once we see an electric car with a proper LSD we'll know whether it's even possible to have it "off?" From what I've heard, it's not so simple w/ electric motors since they can spin up to 1,000 mph in an instant.
I've been on track with the handling at 30/70 and SC set to -10 and it still cuts in certain circumstances. In drift mode with the handling at 0/100 it doesn't cut, so there's maybe a setting for track use where you can stop it intervening...