Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been dreaming of this car for so long, following the development from afar, thinking that it was technically impossible to pull off, and of course as it materialized, knowing it would for ever be beyond my means. Then last summer things changed and I made my way to the ticket stand and had it not been for the advent of the D I might have had Santa down the chimney with it this xmas. So having Tesla telling me on the phone that today they were finally, finally, done sourcing the parts putting it on the line, I couldn't help thinking of my favourite movie and ask myself; is it real or is it fake? Thanks for spotting the paraphrase!

Just a reminder (or maybe the first time hearing this for some) that Tesla does not build vehicles in the order of the serial number included in the VIN. So someone starting production with a later VIN than yours does not imply that yours should have started production. Quite often Tesla adjust sequencing for a variety of reasons, but most noticeably by region to limit inventory across the end of a quarter. US vehicles usually get delivered in the last month of a quarter as a result.

Yes, it seems that even though I changed my 85 order to 85D on the day D was announced, so many people are going first.

I imagine many non-US orders are being built first so they can be delivered in Q1, but that doesn't make my wait any easier....been waiting since August 2nd....no, no, don't weep for me....

I imagine many non-US orders are being built first so they can be delivered in Q1, but that doesn't make my wait any easier....been waiting since August 2nd....no, no, don't weep for me....

The exact same argument is being made at the Norwegian forum, mejojo, only there it is the US orders that are believed to have priority over those we have made. :) I bet we both will have our cars made in Q1. Incidentially I also made my first order on the 2nd of August! Best of luck to you!!

The exact same argument is being made at the Norwegian forum, mejojo, only there it is the US orders that are believed to have priority over those we have made. :) I bet we both will have our cars made in Q1. Incidentially I also made my first order on the 2nd of August! Best of luck to you!!

I'm pretty sure this is how the priority shakes out right now (but this is still a fairly educated guess). First batch of vehicles will be marketing vehicles (i.e. demonstrators). After that will be a small number of orders that have priority for a variety of reasons. Then you get to the masses that will depending on timing probably be shifted around to limit inventory across the end of quarter. The delays we're experiencing are likely pushing more US deliveries back for production. However, if we move back much further then you'll see US orders made and EU orders pushed into April. So I'd say it's a toss up if the most of the first vehicles are heading to US customers or EU customers. But I'd bet that the first delivery will be to someone that falls into the priority group that is on the west coast of the US (probably someone taking delivery at the factory).

Right now I think we're on track to see customer production starting no latter than the week of February 9th. Which in my opinion would likely result in the EU first scenario. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if 85D demonstrators don't show up at some (California) stores sometime in the week of the 9th.

I am new to this Forum to day, but I have ordered a S85D, confirmed Oct. 13., got VIN Des. 29.: 710xx, estimated delivery is Late March. My DS says March/April. May be it is fortunate to have delivery after Easter; May 5. is Easter day, then spring is hopefully here and I can enjoy AN EXPECTED FABULOUS CAR. So I have to be very patient indeed!!

Tesla must have a lot of confidence in this car if they are sending early production models to Norway where it will be more difficult to take care of any issues because of the distance.

Good point. As a new customer I also find confidence in that. Because it seems Morten Solbakken is right. A number of us have my tesla telling us that our cars now are "in production". I assume this is because Tesla believe they are able to ship the new cars overseas and have them delivered before the end of Q1. I bet they are doing it in this fashion because even though the cars for the domestic market are produced later they will be delivered to you long before we receive ours. Making a larger number of cars get to the market before the end of Q1.

Tesla now has several different-sized motors and it seems they know how to design, build and tune control of them.

The Model S software should be one build that has slightly different options when running on different platforms.

I think there is very high commonality.

Software is probably identical(minus some of the firmware uCs on the inverters at most). It's much more expensive to maintain separate software branches for multiple products compared to a single codebase with platform specific tuning parameters(and correct abstractions).

Doing commercial embedded software you usually have to have a *really* strong reason not to use the same platform/hardware for similar products. Maintainability starts becoming a nightmare(did we add feature X to product A but not B?), etc.

I understand they're not rewriting every piece of code for every possible variation. But neither are they loading in the software for the P85D into the S60. It's different programming for each different model. Call it whatever you want - a different version, a different build, etc. But it's different, that's all I said.

I understand they're not rewriting every piece of code for every possible variation. But neither are they loading in the software for the P85D into the S60. It's different programming for each different model. Call it whatever you want - a different version, a different build, etc. But it's different, that's all I said.
Actually, no. Being a bit pedantic here but they don't have different versions of the software for different car configurations. They have one version of the software which reads the car configuration (battery size, motor configuration, sensors, etc.) and adjusts for the car. The software behaves differently for different cars (such as limiting the power draw for the motors) but it's the same software for all cars.

Could we get back on topic? This is a delivery thread.

Actually, no. Being a bit pedantic here but they don't have different versions of the software for different car configurations. They have one version of the software which reads the car configuration (battery size, motor configuration, sensors, etc.) and adjusts for the car. The software behaves differently for different cars (such as limiting the power draw for the motors) but it's the same software for all cars.