Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an email from DS. Although the dashboard has been showing In Production for a week now, DS says "It has entered the early stages of production at our factory in Fremont, and will likely be completed in the next week or two." He goes on to say that once it is ready for delivery, he will THEN contact me to schedule the appointment.

It escapes my how there is so much slack built in where they can only say it might be completed in a week or two, and then it has to be complete before we can schedule the appt.

Hrrmmph....

In other words or Tesla-speak - "it's still in paint"... LOL

Eco, fantastic buy. Look forward to your upcoming impressions.

Can you hear the front motor during acceleration? If so, describe the sound if you can.

How does it sound as highway speeds?

Is the frunk as small as the P85D? From Breser's car it is difficult to tell.

Thanks for the photos...all.

Eco, fantastic buy. Look forward to your upcoming impressions.

Can you hear the front motor during acceleration? If so, describe the sound if you can.

How does it sound as highway speeds?

Thanks for the photos...all.
I didn't notice any motor noise at all. Very quiet car IMO. I did 30 min on the highway today and it was a dream.

Yep, same frunk as P85D. I'm happy to take more pics, but it's the same aesthetically as every other Model S other than the reduced frunk.

The frunk is the same size on the P85D and the 85D. Other people who saw the frunks on both at the Detroit auto-show have said as much. We've also seen pictures of a P85D without the frunk cover and I don't see any significant differences:

CLJubOi.jpg

JIT manufacturing can always have some hiccups due to part shortages and I'd guess that Tesla, like many others, is being extra messed up by the longshoreman's slowdown. Transportation is also not overly exact unless you pay quite a bit extra. An auto rack (approx 20 Teslas?) may make it to North Platte (I think every train in the world goes through North Platte) and wait for several days for the next available spot going in the right direction. It may then spend another day or two somewhere else before hooking a ride to it's final destination.

I'm picking up at the factory, so transportation scheduling isn't an issue.

I need to arrange a trip up there, so finding out only on the day it's done will be kind of inconvenient, which also means it will be sitting around up there until I get up to pick it up.

I would HOPE that by the time a car enters production, they at least have a good idea that they do or do not have sufficient parts to build the car?

I need to arrange a trip up there, so finding out only on the day it's done will be kind of inconvenient, which also means it will be sitting around up there until I get up to pick it up.

Tell them that and they should try to accommodate you. They have more visibility into production so they should be able to set something up so you have enough time to plan. Be sure to mention how much time you need to arrange the trip.

I would HOPE that by the time a car enters production, they at least have a good idea that they do or do not have sufficient parts to build the car?
Not necessarily. I'm not sure how much supply Tesla keeps on hand of what external parts but I'd guess only a days worth of many. On the day a car begins production some parts coming from elsewhere may not have even been manufactured yet. Others might be on a freighter 100 miles from shore. JIT can reduce some costs but increase headaches.

The frunk is the same size on the P85D and the 85D. Other people who saw the frunks on both at the Detroit auto-show have said as much. We've also seen pictures of a P85D without the frunk cover and I don't see any significant differences:

View attachment 72568
Wasn't the small battery behind the nosecone? Did they move the battery to be better reachable (the red thing)