Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats!

Does the heated steering wheel look exactly like the regular steering wheel, as far as you can tell? When you have the chance, could you take a picture of it, please, so perhaps those with the regular steering wheel could compare it and note any differences?

Thanks!

If it helps, I have had several cars with this feature (my last was a 550XI). The wheels in most cars are identical except for having a little thicker wheel wrap that would be all but undetectable with a photo. Given these parts all seem to be sourced from an MB supplier (all the steering stalk controls; window controls etc) my guess is that it would be very similar to an MB version of the same.

If it helps, I have had several cars with this feature (my last was a 550XI). The wheels in most cars are identical except for having a little thicker wheel wrap that would be all but undetectable with a photo. Given these parts all seem to be sourced from an MB supplier (all the steering stalk controls; window controls etc) my guess is that it would be very similar to an MB version of the same.

Thanks. That does help. (I'd still like to hear first-hand, though, when Rice390 has the chance.)

Quick update. Will get more to yall later tonight. I'm halfway through my trip back from Columbus. Stopped at a supercharging station.

I tried driving as conservative as possible. I've got four summer tires in my backseat that aren't strapped down and don't want flying everywhere. It's somewhat hilly up here in the northeast. 29 degrees. Kind of windy. Winter tires - 21". Set cruise control at 75. I drove 143 miles and averaged 400 wh/mi. There were moments during long flat stretches I was getting 350. So. There ya go on the range. Maybe that heated steering wheel sucked some energy out (kidding).

On that note though. I only had the heated steering wheel on for about 5 minutes. I agree with zzzzdoc. It gets way too hot for my liking. My previous two cars had this and it was the same temperature - tesla didn't do anything wrong, it's just not my thing. No ability to change the heat setting. As for the steering wheel thickness. I'm not a prior tesla owner, but it felt exactly the same as the test drive with the p85+ over the summer. I'll post a pic later tonight and yall can compare.

On the tan seat. I ordered NG seats but they didn't come in. So, this is the older seats. Or some other version, I have no clue. I'll post a couple pics of the interior though. Looks really sharp with the tan seats, black headliner and carbon trim.

I'd post my own review on the performance of the car, but you've all heard it before. So..... What he said". You're all going to be very pleased with it. It's insane.

I'll post the steering wheel pic and interior pic later. Any other questions just let me know.

Picked up my P85D last night 12/17 (black on black). First delivery of P85D out of the Costa Mesa, CA delivery location.
FYI: Confirmed order on 10/30/14.

Getting the chrome pieces wrapped today and 22" wheels coming next week.

Im doing the same thing with mine, except I went with 21" ADV 5.1 SLs (much lighter than factory). "death bronze" finish. Which wheels did you get?

Thanks. That does help. (I'd still like to hear first-hand, though, when Rice390 has the chance.)

image.jpg

here you go Andy. Iphone lightning charger on the wheel for scale. It's resting on the wheel.

here you go Andy. Iphone lightning charger on the wheel for scale. It's resting on the wheel.

Many thanks for taking time out of your trip! As you said, looks the same to me, but I too have never owned a Model S.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

On that note though. I only had the heated steering wheel on for about 5 minutes. I agree with zzzzdoc. It gets way too hot for my liking. My previous two cars had this and it was the same temperature - tesla didn't do anything wrong, it's just not my thing. No ability to change the heat setting.

If this winds up being a common complaint, is this the kind of thing Tesla could change via software, by somehow delivering less power to the heating element, adding different heating options, etc., or is this the kind of thing that requires hardware changes?

Just took delivery of my p85d. I know some have canceled because they wanted a heating steering wheel. Well... I have it in mine as part of my cold weather package. More to come later tonight. Car is awesome.

View attachment 66339
View attachment 66340
Congrats!!

looking at the second photo, your seats appear red (I know they are tan) and it made me think how awesome the P85D would look with grey exterior and red seats/interior! BMW does this combo very well IMO.

I wonder if they could tweak the software to put the steering wheel heater on a timer...automatically shut off after 5 minutes or so?

Quick update. Will get more to yall later tonight. I'm halfway through my trip back from Columbus. Stopped at a supercharging station.

I tried driving as conservative as possible. I've got four summer tires in my backseat that aren't strapped down and don't want flying everywhere. It's somewhat hilly up here in the northeast. 29 degrees. Kind of windy. Winter tires - 21". Set cruise control at 75. I drove 143 miles and averaged 400 wh/mi. There were moments during long flat stretches I was getting 350. So. There ya go on the range. Maybe that heated steering wheel sucked some energy out (kidding).

On that note though. I only had the heated steering wheel on for about 5 minutes. I agree with zzzzdoc. It gets way too hot for my liking. My previous two cars had this and it was the same temperature - tesla didn't do anything wrong, it's just not my thing. No ability to change the heat setting. As for the steering wheel thickness. I'm not a prior tesla owner, but it felt exactly the same as the test drive with the p85+ over the summer. I'll post a pic later tonight and yall can compare.

On the tan seat. I ordered NG seats but they didn't come in. So, this is the older seats. Or some other version, I have no clue. I'll post a couple pics of the interior though. Looks really sharp with the tan seats, black headliner and carbon trim.

I'd post my own review on the performance of the car, but you've all heard it before. So..... What he said". You're all going to be very pleased with it. It's insane.

I'll post the steering wheel pic and interior pic later. Any other questions just let me know.

Finally got out of the black hole and took delivery yesterday. It wasn't a great time to do it: it was dark, rainy, and the place where they keep the "new car deliveries" is also not very well lit.
I only drove it for 20 min, enough to reach the detailer to get it OptiCoat'ed.

My detailer found a small chip on the rear right wheel on the hub side. It looks like QC caught it at Tesla since its marked green already.
P85D_Chip_1.jpg

I'm surprised they let it pass, but anyway: what's the best way to get it fixed? I emailed delivery@ this morning but haven't heard back.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Greg

Finally, after 26 days of "In Production," production was completed late last night, and I'm picking up my vehicle at the Factory Saturday (12/20). I will have Next Gen front seats, but not the back seats (estimated February installation) (also, not sure if we need to add another column to the spreadsheet for front vs. back seats, but I just filled it in as Next-Gen as the delivered seat type).

Also, I forgot to ask, but I assume I won't have the heated steering wheel (which kind of irks me since other cars already delivered have it now - but I live in the Bay Area so I guess I will be able to get over it...)

Finally got out of the black hole and took delivery yesterday. It wasn't a great time to do it: it was dark, rainy, and the place where they keep the "new car deliveries" is also not very well lit.
I only drove it for 20 min, enough to reach the detailer to get it OptiCoat'ed.

My detailer found a small chip on the rear right wheel on the hub side. It looks like QC caught it at Tesla since its marked green already.

I'm surprised they let it pass, but anyway: what's the best way to get it fixed? I emailed delivery@ this morning but haven't heard back.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Greg

I've got to admit, this concerns me.

Tesla identified a problem, but let the car out the door anyway. Would they have done that if it wasn't December, and they didn't need to get a lot of cars delivered? What other problems might they be marking in green, but allowing to be delivered? What problems might they not be catching at all?

Is this just a "one-off" kind of thing, and am I doing a good "Chicken Little" impression? Or might we have just seen the tip of the iceberg?

It's not a good idea to read too much into this data point: at 29º F., driving 75, mph I'd be surprised if my S85 on 19" Goodyears did better than about 350 Wh/mi overall. Throw in 21" winter tires and a fudge factor for hills and wind, and 400 Wh/mi doesn't seem outrageous.

Give us more data, folks! Please?