Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a side note... I'm not fond of installing software updates with no indication on what changes were made... Tesla needs to get some better info about updates out to folks.

At this point as far as I can tell I lost use of my car for about an hour so that two digits could change from 77 to 81 in an 'about' page. Think I'll pass on others in the future until I know what they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any videos or reviews commenting on the P85D's off-road abilities? E.g. driving slow - and fast - on snow? Mud? Wet grass etc.?

Anxious to confirm that it's not just a drag queen.

I did a few 0 to 60 launches in rainy conditions. Car only barely broke loose from the pavement and only for a split second. Definitely have no interest in offroading...

Appointment is set at 12/26 for my delivery at Dania Beach FL.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any videos or reviews commenting on the P85D's off-road abilities? E.g. driving slow - and fast - on snow? Mud? Wet grass etc.? On hills?

Anxious to confirm that it's not just a drag queen.

It is very clear that the Model S is intended as an on-road vehicle. I am honestly surprised anyone would even ask about taking it off-road.

For off-road, you want a Jeep.

Didn't you also get 6 miles more range? :wink:

Haha. I wish the update took 60 miles OFF the rated range so we could actually rely on it.... vs. doing math problems the whole time while driving (rated range* 0.75).

I took some family out for a test drive today who were on the brink of ordering one for themselves given the reviews and specs. After a 20 minute drive they noticed the range difference between actual and rated - at the time rated was 177 and actual was 121. I said ya you're looking at around 175 miles on a 90% charge. They noted thats 100 miles less than what was initially advertised, and now they're going to hold off on a purchase until that gets resolved. I didn't blame them.

I don't care my brakes squeak. I don't care my blue tooth doesn't work after 3 days. I don't even care I didn't get the seats I paid for. Honestly... I'll look past that and expect fixes in the future. This range thing though.... This is more than just an oopsies.

Didn't you also get 6 miles more range? :wink:

Welp, considering I see nothing in terms of power consumption differences so far, I'm going to say no. I did not get 6 more miles of range, regardless of what the meter now says. Yes, the display did change though, so I did miss that in my rant...

Haha. I wish the update took 60 miles OFF the rated range so we could actually rely on it.... vs. doing math problems the whole time while driving (rated range* 0.75).

I took some family out for a test drive today who were on the brink of ordering one for themselves given the reviews and specs. After a 20 minute drive they noticed the range difference between actual and rated - at the time rated was 177 and actual was 121. I said ya you're looking at around 175 miles on a 90% charge. They noted thats 100 miles less than what was initially advertised, and now they're going to hold off on a purchase until that gets resolved. I didn't blame them.

I don't care my brakes squeak. I don't care my blue tooth doesn't work after 3 days. I don't even care I didn't get the seats I paid for. Honestly... I'll look past that and expect fixes in the future. This range thing though.... This is more than just an oopsies.

Hmm... yeah, my brakes started to squeak just now also. When coming to a complete stop they squeak very loudly. Everyone in the car noticed...

But as far as range goes, this is definitely unacceptable. I don't think in any real world conditions this car could ever even get the EPA range. Not even close. And that is pretty unacceptable.

Shouldn't that be "range", the way Tesla fudges with the numbers with updates?

Yep, makes no sense to me. I seriously just ignore the "range" number now. Only thing that matters is the kWh used from the battery and Wh/mi. Wish I didn't have to do math constantly to operate my $134k vehicle effectively, though.

My P85D arrived around 1:00 PM today by truck, as planned. I have not spent a lot of time driving it yet, but I'll share some thoughts, and a few things that I don't think I've seen anyone else talk about that may help others who have not owned Teslas before.

In the short amount of driving I did do, the speed assist seemed to be working well. A lot of people talk about the speed limit signs popping up on the display when the car sees them. Unless I'm mistaken, they pop up when your speed exceeds whatever threshold you have set for the alert. (I could be wrong about this.)

My lane assist works. It is fairly subtle. It wouldn't surprise me, assuming this is possible, if Tesla adds a setting option to make the vibration more noticeable.

I only had the chance to try one fairly hard acceleration. I had turned onto a side road to turn around to head back home on a rural 50 MPH road, and turning back onto the main road I asked my wife (you may recall from my test drive post that she gets motion sick) if I could try one little, partial, acceleration. I didn't want her to get nauseated again. She agreed, so I accelerated some...not a complete flooring...from about 10 MPH to 55 or so, which resulted in her yelling, "No, no, no!", but me thinking, "that was OK, but it really wasn't all that spectacular." And then I remembered I was in Sport mode and not Insane mode! I have yet to drive my P85D in Insane mode!

As for some little tips for those of you who have not owned Teslas...

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to turn the radio off after you've turned it on, unless you turn the car off. You can mute the radio, of course, or switch to a different input or something. My wife and I sat in the car, trying to figure out how to turn the radio off for quite a while before she Googled it and discovered it (probably) is not possible.

This may be different for those of you picking up your car in person, but my window sticker wound up being in the glove box. I was wondering where it was. It also took me a while to figure out how to open the glove box. Had to go the the online manual for that one too. It turns out there is a little physical button to the right of the display that opens the glove box. Who would have thunk it?

I bought the all-weather mats from Tesla. Replacing the carpeted ones resulted in the circular holders for the carpeted ones being exposed on the passenger side after the all-weather mats were in place. It turns out that these just unscrew.

When you open the doors (perhaps just the back doors) the windows lower a little bit. Apparently this has something to do with clearing the opening, etc., but it surprised me at first. My DS happened to call me about 20 minutes after the car had arrived, and I think the only question I had for him on that call was about the windows lowering a little when I opened the doors.

I did set up one garage door opener and it worked smoothly. I do have one tip for everyone. The on-screen diagram indicates that you should point your remote just to the left of the Tesla logo on the nosecone. I was in the car, and I noticed my wife was pointing the remote to the right of the logo. And the car wasn't recognizing the signal. We tried again, and I made sure she pointed it to the left of the logo, and it then worked immediately. Maybe the batteries were a little weak in our remote, but in our case the exact location of the sensor and whether we were pointing the remote directly at it or not really did make a difference.

I also have a tip for WiFi setup. If you need the car's MAC address, you'll need to click on the little "i" icon within the Wifi Settings screen. It took me a minute or two to find this.

So far, so good!

Can someone remind me what the range of the P85+ was/is again?

Back to the thread topic...

Took delivery yesterday and am still soaking it all in. Currently having opticoat applied in my garage as I type this. Rich Grasa from Explicit Details in CT really seems to know what he is doing and it'll be cheaper and better that Tesla's paint armor! Here's the first photo of my "rare breed" Green P85D...View attachment 66922

Did you take delivery at Mt Kisco? just curious since i took delivery there in Sept, but i took it outside...

It is very clear that the Model S is intended as an on-road vehicle. I am honestly surprised anyone would even ask about taking it off-road.

For off-road, you want a Jeep.

Very disappointing randompersonx - check out this video put out by Tesla Motors and tell me if you can see any tarmac, then come back and tell me off-road (or more exactly, on-snow) is unimportant -

Winter Driving Redefined: Winter Driving Redefined - YouTube

But as far as range goes, this is definitely unacceptable. I don't think in any real world conditions this car could ever even get the EPA range. Not even close. And that is pretty unacceptable.

You have heard about the coming software update that should enable "Normal" mode and allow greater range, right? Not saying you shouldn't be annoyed but there does seem to be a fix coming.

Very disappointing randompersonx - check out this video put out by Tesla Motors and tell me if you can see any tarmac, then come back and tell me off-road (or more exactly, on-snow) is unimportant -

Winter Driving Redefined: Winter Driving Redefined - YouTube

That's not off road. Thats snow-covered road. I'm sure the car will be just fine in the snow as long as ground clearance is OK (air suspension to low is probably a bad idea in this case).

- - - Updated - - -

You have heard about the coming software update that should enable "Normal" mode and allow greater range, right? Not saying you shouldn't be annoyed but there does seem to be a fix coming.

I am sure he has, but Tesla's communication around this whole issue was terrible. They shouldn't have waited until owners discovered this on their own -- they could have blogged about it, emailed about it, had DS's mention it at delivery, etc ... And we still don't have an ETA on the update -- could be tomorrow, could be 6 months from now.

I have to admit it is quite disappointing for me as well -- A trip I plan on doing often will be 240 miles or so door-to-door (almost all on ideal conditions), which should have been doable with the originally stated 65mph numbers, but impossible given what others have been posting. We will see how it does for me in real world, as I plan on doing the drive the next day after taking delivery.

Further, perhaps a temporary option to just completely disable the front motor for long range drives would be a temporary stopgap, and should be very simple to implement.

This "upcoming fix" did not help me with the 600 mile trip I did yesterday that took significantly longer due to increased charging needs...

I drove 12 miles after today's update in Sport mode. 12 real miles, 21 miles used off the dash meter. And really, I was driving pretty conservatively...

*sigh*

These are the kinds of things that are making me question recommending Tesla purchases...

I am sure he has, but Tesla's communication around this whole issue was terrible. They shouldn't have waited until owners discovered this on their own -- they could have blogged about it, emailed about it, had DS's mention it at delivery, etc

Absolutely, terrible communication from Tesla, again. From black holes to range-gate the PD roll out has been a bit of a mess.

I am sure he has, but Tesla's communication around this whole issue was terrible. They shouldn't have waited until owners discovered this on their own -- they could have blogged about it, emailed about it, had DS's mention it at delivery, etc ... And we still don't have an ETA on the update -- could be tomorrow, could be 6 months from now.

I have to admit it is quite disappointing for me as well -- A trip I plan on doing often will be 240 miles or so door-to-door (almost all on ideal conditions), which should have been doable with the originally stated 65mph numbers, but impossible given what others have been posting. We will see how it does for me in real world, as I plan on doing the drive the next day after taking delivery.

Further, perhaps a temporary option to just completely disable the front motor for long range drives would be a temporary stopgap, and should be very simple to implement.

A 240 mile trip in any conditions is pretty much impossible in a P85D as it stands at virtually any speed. I would highly suggest against trying it. For 240 miles you need to stay under about 320 Wh/mi max... and I haven't even seen anything under 325 Wh ever with the P85D yet...

Edit: For comparison, my best long trip in the P85 was 249.0 miles at 294 Wh/mi. 4 rated miles remaining from 267 rated. 78F weather, minor A/C usage. That took a bit of effort, but not much. In the P85D I don't even think I could expertly hypermile to get those numbers...

A 240 mile trip in any conditions is pretty much impossible in a P85D as it stands at virtually any speed. I would highly suggest against trying it. For 240 miles you need to stay under about 320 Wh/mi max... and I haven't even seen anything under 325 Wh ever with the P85D yet...

Edit: For comparison, my best long trip in the P85 was 249.0 miles at 294 Wh/mi. 4 rated miles remaining from 267 rated. 78F weather, minor A/C usage. That took a bit of effort, but not much. In the P85D I don't even think I could expertly hypermile to get those numbers...

I pass 3 superchargers on the trip without any detour, so I have plenty of options for charging up, but it shouldn't have been necessary.

As far as weather -- I am driving around Florida in the wintertime -- which is as far as I understand the most ideal weather.

The way I look at it Elon Musk tweeted it would be close to the P85 after the update. I have accepted his commitment and based on that have decided to move forward with the purchase. Either way I win. If he is correct, I get the car I love. If he doesn't I'll get a free car as damages for misrepresentation and fraud. but I believe it's all going to work out and I can't wait for Saturday.

Last edited: