Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I was invoiced over a week ago and I wired the money and still dont have a date for delivery yet. Been production complete since 12/2. Frustrating....

My invoice actually shows an odometer reading of 50, so I would assume from that, that my car is out of production, and awaiting transport, or some form of quality rework. The frustrating thing for me is the total lack of information.

Just got a call from the DS. My car's still in the inspection stage and is being tested thoroughly (his words). No dice on a delivery this weekend. Leaves just a week before my personal drop-dead date of 12/21 for 2014 delivery. DS still thought that delivery next week is highly likely.

Thanks for the update. Yours should definitely be ready by next week since you're one of the very few on here with textile seats! So technically the Recaro airbag issues should not apply to you.

Progress! VIN 63064 went into production this afternoon.

Yay, finally! Congrats - and maybe that means you'll get the heated steering wheel :)

I was invoiced for my P85D today, but still haven't been able to get a confirmed delivery date. Has anyone else experienced this?
I had paid the balance for mine on November 29th just after it appeared to be completed (though they have had my trade in for a while longer than that). By December 2 it had gone back into production. I might have to start charging interest.

Which reminds me... as long as you pay for the car in 2014, you can take the tax credit for it in 2014, right? Doesn't technically need to be delivered in hand before 12/31, does it?

This was discussed earlier either here or on another thread. I would consult your accountant but mine indicated that it should be in your 'possession' by Dec 31st. You might argue that once it is fully paid for and production is complete that it is your 'possession' even if it has just passed final inspection or is sitting on a truck to transport to you. Technically though it should be paid for and sitting at the delivery center ready for you to take delivery or sitting in your driveway by midnight Dec 31st.

Which reminds me... as long as you pay for the car in 2014, you can take the tax credit for it in 2014, right? Doesn't technically need to be delivered in hand before 12/31, does it?
The law technically requires the vehicle to be "in service" (being used).

technically you could do a remote delivery in California, but that means that if the car is damaged in shipment, it may technically be your problem since you already accepted it.

I would think if it was made in 2014 and paid for in 2014 you would be on solid ground taking the tax credit.
How would anyone working for the IRS know the difference? And why would they even care?

Technically you do have to have it 'in use' as RandomP indicated. My accountant has always been very conservative (good thing because I would push the limits). He is not worried as long as it is paid for, the production is complete and I have it included in my auto insurance.

Technically you do have to have it 'in use' as RandomP indicated. My accountant has always been very conservative (good thing because I would push the limits). He is not worried as long as it is paid for, the production is complete and I have it included in my auto insurance.

I have worked for several very large accounting/tax/consulting firms. During one meeting with the tax folks I learned that tax people use the word "aggressive" differently than the rest of us. We civilians would probably use the word "illegal" instead. If the return ain't aggressive, your tax person isn't doing their job. I'd lean toward Vitaman's view. What's the worst that can happen?

I think 50 is the default for everyone. So might not actually indicate anything.

I learned this afternoon that one of the dealer prep steps is to replace "factory" software with the latest "end user" version of software on the car. Which begs the question -- how does the odometer get protected from hacking? What if our cars run a zillion miles on the factory software and that ODO reading gets overwritten with "50 miles" when the first round of end user software goes on the car? Who's to know? On the bright side, at least our lifetime average power consumption isn't skewed by all the drag races the factory folks are having with our cars right now. :)