Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one has spoken yet about the next gen REAR seats. They are yet to be seen and aren't in the 3 P85D test cars that have been reported here (Fremont, Palo Alto, San Diego). So perhaps they are late being delivered or have fit and finish issues. That would explain how the cars could be "completed" but are now delayed.

They have been seen. A few cars at the LA event had them. There are some pics of them on here somewhere. Currently on my phone which is a pain to search/link from or I would do so.

If you watch Bjorn Nyland's latest YouTube video he compares a October delivered S85 to his P85. The funny thing is that the S85 clearly has next Generation seats at least in the back as seen by the huge backrests that now partially block the rear view. Bjorn calls this out in his narrative.

Can anyone else confirm if other recent deliveries also have these new seats? Seems like you don't have to order a P85D to get the next gen seats...

They have been seen. A few cars at the LA event had them. There are some pics of them on here somewhere. Currently on my phone which is a pain to search/link from or I would do so.
This thread has some pictures from LA.
P85D - NEW Seats Announced - Finally!!

- - - Updated - - -

If you watch Bjorn Nyland's latest YouTube video he compares a October delivered S85 to his P85. The funny thing is that the S85 clearly has next Generation seats at least in the back as seen by the huge backrests that now partially block the rear view. Bjorn calls this out in his narrative.

Can anyone else confirm if other recent deliveries also have these new seats? Seems like you don't have to order a P85D to get the next gen seats...
I don't think those are next gen seats. They are slightly different versions of the original generation seats with higher headrests. You can hopefully see the difference with the ones in the link above. The next generation seats are only available with P85D.

I was at a Tesla Store today to check out a P85D with Next Generation Seats in front only. However, while I was there there was also a new S85 and it had back seats with taller head rests. It did not have the extra bolstering of the Next Generation back seats. I was told the taller head rests are now standard.

I was at a Tesla Store today to check out a P85D with Next Generation Seats in front only. However, while I was there there was also a new S85 and it had back seats with taller head rests. It did not have the extra bolstering of the Next Generation back seats. I was told the taller head rests are now standard.

Yes, it was done to raise the safety rating for rear passengers.

By the way I should have mentioned I really like the taller back seat head rests. I'm 6'6" and the shorter head rests would allow my head to lean back and hit the roof. The new taller headrests prevent that at least with the Pano roof. They do cut the view out the back and when I mentioned that to the representative he just folded down the seats and that cured that problem.

This thread has some pictures from LA.
P85D - NEW Seats Announced - Finally!!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think those are next gen seats. They are slightly different versions of the original generation seats with higher headrests. You can hopefully see the difference with the ones in the link above. The next generation seats are only available with P85D.

yes its just the new headrests that are better for whiplash... Not new generation seats. When the first new generations seats are delivered they need to be rebranded as current generation seats or Re we talking seats for the children here??? ;-)

If it were just the seats, wouldn't you expect the production of cars to go ahead as scheduled, with them fitting the seats as they become available, instead of it holding up the entire production?
And there are a few non-next generation seats further down in the spreadsheet, which could have started production instead, but haven't.

If they keep piling up D's and it takes longer than a few days for the issue to clear up, they may not be able to clear the backlog of half-finished D's in time for delivery this quarter. Hence they'd run a big risk of missing their quarterly numbers not just by a bit but by a huge number. Better to produce cars of which you are sure you can deliver them this month.

yes its just the new headrests that are better for whiplash... Not new generation seats. When the first new generations seats are delivered they need to be rebranded as current generation seats or Re we talking seats for the children here??? ;-)

Look for the side bolsters. The next generation seats have bolsters in the back too, and were in at least one car at the ad unveiling. There were also a few mixed cars, with next gen front and 'new' rears but not next-gen.

Yeah we should start using v1, v2, v3..

A

If they keep piling up D's and it takes longer than a few days for the issue to clear up, they may not be able to clear the backlog of half-finished D's in time for delivery this quarter. Hence they'd run a big risk of missing their quarterly numbers not just by a bit but by a huge number. Better to produce cars of which you are sure you can deliver them this month.
Yes, I thought of this too. It may have been a risk that Tesla took - pushing the high-margin cars to deliver before end of year 2014 to boost profitability and show well on the year end financials. Meanwhile they could have been producing non-D cars during this time but pushed those into 2015. However, if the delay in producing the D pushes the deliveries to January they will have a lot of explaining to do (more media calming required). 2015 would show well though - if the stock can withstand the turmoil in the market this year. Hopefully it works out and Tesla sorts out this mystery issue and delivers cars in December.

The materiality of any production issues with the D to their bottom line is exactly why they will not disclose any details about the issue to us (or probably to their own sales force). I'd also expect that there are a lot of competing pressures to go ahead and crank them out if the problem is one that will be relatively infrequent or can be easily retrofitted. On the other hand, high customer satisfaction levels and internet word of mouth are fundamental to Tesla's success and negative reports from those of us getting one of the early models would be potentially quite damaging to the brand. There are a lot of new parts added to the line for the D and it is impossible to know from where we sit which ones might be the source of concern and I frankly distrust any reports we get. As it happens, I'm just a few miles from Fremont right now -- maybe I could drive down and ambush some line workers at shift change and trade beer for information!

The materiality of any production issues with the D to their bottom line is exactly why they will not disclose any details about the issue to us (or probably to their own sales force). I'd also expect that there are a lot of competing pressures to go ahead and crank them out if the problem is one that will be relatively infrequent or can be easily retrofitted. On the other hand, high customer satisfaction levels and internet word of mouth are fundamental to Tesla's success and negative reports from those of us getting one of the early models would be potentially quite damaging to the brand. There are a lot of new parts added to the line for the D and it is impossible to know from where we sit which ones might be the source of concern and I frankly distrust any reports we get. As it happens, I'm just a few miles from Fremont right now -- maybe I could drive down and ambush some line workers at shift change and trade beer for information!
Now you're talking. I will chip in for beers.

Yesterday I received via FedEx the "Application for Registration of New Vehicle" for California from Tesla. Why do we have to first register in California if we are taking delivery in other states? Did all you guys receive this?

Yesterday I received via FedEx the "Application for Registration of New Vehicle" for California from Tesla. Why do we have to first register in California if we are taking delivery in other states? Did all you guys receive this?

Pretty sure because Texas is (insert colorful metaphor here) when it comes to Tesla.

Because your state requires all cars to be sold by a dealer. Thank your "bought by the automobile dealers association" legislature and governor.

What Texas can not do is restrict inter state trade. So when you buy a car in CA, where buying direct from Tesla is legal, Texas must allow you to transfer it to yourself in Texas.