Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm okay with a delay if it is because Elon is checking the quality on my car. One request, though... can I get Elon to sign my dash, please? :)

Not even the early Signatures got signed by Elon, despite the name and that he personally inspected all of the cars off the line.

I always thought that was a serious oversight. I mean, come on - someone hand that man a Sharpie!

I don't think that Osama said Elon had quality concerns he said "Elon is not happy with the P85Ds coming off the line". That could be a variety of things. Maybe the performance doesn't match original specs, maybe they were going to deploy a new feature that is not ready yet etc. etc. It seems very unlikely that we are missing seats. My car was completed and Tesla's delivery system (as used by the DSs) showed my car as ready for transport. It was only yesterday that it was pushed back into Production so the idea that it was missing seats seems pretty unlikely.

if you complete the paperwork and pay for the car, financed or not, by December 31, but don't take delivery until January, can you claim the credit in 2014? Will Tesla allow it? Just wondering.

I was told that even if my car wasn't actually in my hands on the 31st - I could still take "remote delivery" of the car "direct from the factory". The quotes are to emphasis nebulous inference. :)

Doesn't matter what Tesla allows, it's what the tax code says and what the IRS allows.

Given the way the tax code is written, I don't think payment matters, but rather when you start using the car.

Emphasis mine.

The IRS interpretation leaves a little more wiggle room here though.

But I tend to view that as a backstop against creative interpretations of "placed in service" allowing credits for vehicles you don't actually own and not as an invitation to take the credit earlier based on titling the car before delivery.

Personally, I wouldn't risk trying to take the credit early. I'm not a tax lawyer or an accountant, so take my advice with a grain of sand.

You must have your car on or before the 31st in order to claim the credit on 2014 taxes. Payment and such doesn't matter.

My accountant's words were "You must officially own it by the 31st to qualify for 2014." His clarification being that I must "drive it off of the lot" by the 31st to qualify.

I highly doubt this.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, there are lots of things you can get away with if you don't get audited. It's not like the IRS knows when you picked up the car. So this whole thing would only be an issue if you got audited. In my opinion it's not worth the risk. Even if you figure the cost of money is 5%, $7500 for a year is $375.

I checked with my CPA. The car must be in your possession by December 31st to qualify for 2014 tax credit as many have speculated. 'Possession' can be argued though. IF the car is fully paid for and the paperwork from TM shows it is fully paid for by December 31st technically it is your 'possession' regardless of the physical location. He also indicated that the if you took the credit in 2014 that the IRS would likely not challenge it as you could have just as easily taken it in 2015 if physical possession was just a couple days into January. It has some 'wiggle room'.

I received my docusign docs today and completed them. They stated a delivery date of 12/20 but sounds like it might be sooner. I sent the wire today as they said they can not release the car into TX without having it paid for. They havnt said anything about any delays other than they are looking for a truck to put it on. Will keep you guys posted when I know more.

I would not say it it past Elon to hold up the deliveries because of a seat issue. IIRC he held up early deliveries because the stitching wasn't right on the sun visors. Seats have to be way more complicated to make than sun visors. If the first seats came through with bad stitching or springs being off I could see him holding off on it.

He was visibly distraught (even looking embarrassed) at an event (the investors meeting?) last year when he was asked if it was possible to take the bmw seats and put them in a Model S.

I also believe that Elon is a fantastic person to be doing the QA. He is the most vested person in the company and a genius with an engineering degree. If there is a mechanical issue with the drive unit I have every confidence in the world that he could find it and get it fixed.

I also hope he signs the visors of those he personally inspects. A nice added bonus for the early adopters.

I received my docusign docs today and completed them. They stated a delivery date of 12/20 but sounds like it might be sooner. I sent the wire today as they said they can not release the car into TX without having it paid for. They havnt said anything about any delays other than they are looking for a truck to put it on. Will keep you guys posted when I know more.

excellent news. Yes, keep us posted

regarding the "new seats" and dec deliveries, if this issue was the difference between dec or jan delivery on my car, I'd rather TM put in the old seats and deliver my car. Customer gets his car and tax credit. TM books a sale. WIN / WIN

the new seats can be swapped out later.

Last edited:
You must have your car on or before the 31st in order to claim the credit on 2014 taxes. Payment and such doesn't matter.

My accountant's words were "You must officially own it by the 31st to qualify for 2014." His clarification being that I must "drive it off of the lot" by the 31st to qualify.

The code says when title transfers. In the states that Tesla cannot sell in, title technically changes hands in California. I think this can be done legally.

excellent news. Yes, keep us posted

regarding the "new seats" and dec deliveries, if this issue was the difference between dec or jan delivery on my car, I'd rather TM put in the old seats and deliver my car. Customer gets his car and tax credit. TM books a sale. WIN / WIN

the new seats can be swapped out later.

I am without a car, so I would opt for this as well. Costly to Tesla, but good customer service. I thought about wanting a 2015 model year/vin if delivery is going to be in January, but realized there may still be a benefit to me to have a 2014. I pay yearly personal property taxes (Virginia). The number of 2014 P85Ds in Virginia will be less than 3? 5? It will make establishing the value quite difficult. As a result they may use 2015 numbers and then subtract from there. Or use 2014 P85 values.

I don't think that Osama said Elon had quality concerns he said "Elon is not happy with the P85Ds coming off the line". That could be a variety of things. Maybe the performance doesn't match original specs, maybe they were going to deploy a new feature that is not ready yet etc. etc. It seems very unlikely that we are missing seats. My car was completed and Tesla's delivery system (as used by the DSs) showed my car as ready for transport. It was only yesterday that it was pushed back into Production so the idea that it was missing seats seems pretty unlikely.
I think its within reason that the seats were made, but weren't up to expectations, so the car was completed sans seats to be installed later. An automated system picks up that the car has come off the line and changes status to completed, then someone changed it back to in production while it awaits a new batch of seats.

Not saying that this is what happened, but there's certainly ways your facts can still line up with the seat theory.

I feel for you all and know that this little delay is really a nit, with the exception of those who have a time constraint
on the transaction.

If the problem is seat finish/quality/appearance I would consider that a very minor issue.

Just can't wait for you guys to start getting your cars (Fremont, CA orders for sure) .... fingers crossed.

I'm doubtful that EM is out on the line doing QA. More likely he is getting reports from QA on P85D performance in various areas vs spec, and he happens to be the guy that makes the call regarding whether what they are seeing is good enough for release. Something may be far enough out of tolerance that he's simply uncomfortable letting them go, since the last thing he wants or needs is for any of us to be dissatisfied. Whether that's seats or "something else" we may never know ;-)

I sent an email to my DS asking if he was aware of any delays in the production and/or delivery of the P85Ds and he said he was unaware; incidentally he informed me that mine has entered production. My dashboard does not reflect this status change yet. It still shows that I am in the production queue.

Here is a quote from the email received at 3:18 PM CST today:

"Thank you for your other note as well, I am unaware of any delay. Good news is that your Model S has officially entered production just a short while ago!"

So the plot thickens... *cue dramatic music*

So I too heard from my DS. If I'm understanding properly some cars were completed but there was a concern with the 'fit and finish' of the first few cars Elon drove. So until this is addressed the Ds are on hold.

My DS still feels that the last week of Dec will be attainable... So a 2 week delay for me (if it pans out that way). No bigge overall, I've been waiting since July, what's a few more weeks!

As many above have opined, I too would rather have a quality completed build, as opposed to a rushed incomplete job.

I'm sure Tesla is also quite aware that these cars are going to people who will write reviews of the car. Tesla should want their product to be great for all, but the multiplier effect is going to be disproportionate for the first batch of cars. They need to nail it.

Last edited: