Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS just told me that my P85D is ready to be shipped to the service center and is planning on leaving today or tomorrow! We will see if it holds true. Like with most things, I dont believe it until I have the tracking number.
This seems pretty unlikely. If your DS has not been informed of the delays (as seems to be the case for some) his system probably says that your car is ready for transport. My DS was adamant that my car was ready to be shipped until he got a call from his boss advising him of the delay issues. Funnily enough myTesla was probably more accurate in this case as it had reverted to inProduction which turns out to be accurate.

OK, so, just spoke to my DS who has always been pretty straightforward. His story is that my car and others are done and "in a lot at Tesla" waiting for the Federal Government "to approve the windows sticker for the P85D." And until that happens they can not legally ship any of the P85Ds. When asked about a time frame he said he doesn't have one. Jokingly I said that I hope it's before the end of the year and he said, "Yeah, we're hoping that too."

Dash status still reads "In Production."

How accurate this info is, I don't know, but as I said before my DS has been pretty straight on everything in the past.

Yesterday I received via FedEx the "Application for Registration of New Vehicle" for California from Tesla. Why do we have to first register in California if we are taking delivery in other states? Did all you guys receive this?
If this is a surprise to you, then the sales tax you're going to pay when you actually register the car in Texas will also be a surprise.

Like others have said, you are buying the car in California and having it delivered to you in Texas. The car will need the state safety inspection and 6.25% vehicle sales tax paid to the County Tax Collector / Assessor. The good news is that you're not paying the California vehicle sales tax, which is quite a bit higher.

OK, so, just spoke to my DS who has always been pretty straightforward. His story is that my car and others are done and "in a lot at Tesla" waiting for the Federal Government "to approve the windows sticker for the P85D." And until that happens they can not legally ship any of the P85Ds. When asked about a time frame he said he doesn't have one. Jokingly I said that I hope it's before the end of the year and he said, "Yeah, we're hoping that too."

How accurate this info is, I don't know, but as I said before my DS has been pretty straight on everything in the past.
wow that is a completely different reason. If this is the right one, not sure if this would have been better (less embarrassing) to communicate than fit and finish issues? In other words, why wouldn't they just tell us that and blame it on federal bureaucracy that they had underestimated.

This makes sense to me. The thing I've been wondering on the P85D (and the 85D) is when they were going to post the mileage based on EPA testing. The website still doesn't have this information. The window stickers has to have the EPA MPGe listed on it. I assumed that the 85D not shipping till February was due to them prioritizing the P85D MPGe and then planning to do the 85D one after that's done.

If that's not complete, they can't sell the cars because by federal law the window sticker has to be in place.

Right now " Production complete" but we are waiting on Mary to send over a copy of the check before they release it. My dashboard changed yesterday to show the breakdown of the payments, (down payment, cash, trade, ECFU)
I am living vicariously through you.

Unless there is a change to my timeline, I am supposed to go into production shortly. I was up at Austin SC on Monday to drop off my trade which went smoothly without any last minute surprises.

This makes sense to me. The thing I've been wondering on the P85D (and the 85D) is when they were going to post the mileage based on EPA testing. The website still doesn't have this information. The window stickers has to have the EPA MPGe listed on it. I assumed that the 85D not shipping till February was due to them prioritizing the P85D MPGe and then planning to do the 85D one after that's done.

If that's not complete, they can't sell the cars because by federal law the window sticker has to be in place.

In that case, we, as a forum, kinda blew it.

I mean, collectively, we knew of these requirements. And we knew that we had not yet seen any official announcement of an official EPA MPGe. So we should have come up with this possibility on our own. Weeks ago we should have been wondering, "How are they going to sell P85Ds if they don't have an official EPA MPGe?"

Now that this has been highlighted, I'm thinking that it's the kind of thing Tesla would issue a press release on as soon as they had the official numbers, so the fact that we hadn't heard anything should have raised red flags for us. Oh well.

Does anyone know if Canada requires the same sticker?

Isn't this the standard window sticker that all car dealers use? I guess maybe your question is whether the sticker is a legal necessity here or not?
Correct, I have seen the sticker but not sure it's law as in the states.

- - - Updated - - -

I will be at the factory for a tour in 30 minutes. I'll look for a large lot full of P85Ds. Mine still says in queue for production.
I was there a few months ago. You may have to go to the end of the building where the service center is. I saw cars there lined up looking like the were ready for shipping. Be prepared for someone to approach you though if they see you wondering around.

I got the same intel from my DS on Monday. Window stickers. While the first batches may be delayed, sounds like it's a pretty simple fix to catch back up. I would imagine the bottleneck would be clearing the backlog onto trucks and getting them out. Maybe a week or two delayed on the first batches off the line, and then hopefully just a day or two extra onto the late December deliveries. I'm in the same boat as some others though. Heading out of the country on the 23rd, not coming back until January.

I got the same intel from my DS on Monday. Window stickers. While the first batches may be delayed, sounds like it's a pretty simple fix to catch back up. I would imagine the bottleneck would be clearing the backlog onto trucks and getting them out. Maybe a week or two delayed on the first batches off the line, and then hopefully just a day or two extra onto the late December deliveries. I'm in the same boat as some others though. Heading out of the country on the 23rd, not coming back until January.

That would be true if they hadn't apparently stalled production. The indications, based on the spreadsheet and cars ordered by people who post here, is that this process has stalled.

- - - Updated - - -

Also only true if the EPA issue is resolved quickly. If there is some issue with that (arguments over the numbers, etc.) that could also pose a bigger problem.