Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very careful wording in that email. The point about the seats/airbags was the "final concern"... Leads to me thinking there have been at least two concerns:cool:

Hehe that's the first thing I thought too. Also noticed December 10th in the email - Jerome must be in Asia ;-)

So we did speculate in this thread about the new seats or interior in general, but I don't think anyone called airbags the issue... oh well, glad it's over now and Jerome has confirmed deliveries will occur soon! Time to call my DS and get that delivery scheduled.

There has been a lot of speculation on why P85Ds are delayed already, but one thing came to my mind I still want to share. Selling a car with hardware for autopilot which will only be enabled in the future via software update would cause me (in place of Tesla) a headache: Delivering a quite safety-critical system which has not been tested as a whole in the particular car. So just speculation on my side - after thinking about this again they might be implementing the software into an official release now and applying it to the cars before delivery, so they can test them. Surprise!

A user in another thread mentioned yesterday that 1) heated steering wheel is most likely standard to P85D; and 2) we may all be in for a surprize.

What if the delay in not about _problems_, but about a new upgrade/new features?

There has been a lot of speculation on why P85Ds are delayed already, but one thing came to my mind I still want to share. Selling a car with hardware for autopilot which will only be enabled in the future via software update would cause me (in place of Tesla) a headache: Delivering a quite safety-critical system which has not been tested as a whole in the particular car. So just speculation on my side - after thinking about this again they might be implementing the software into an official release now and applying it to the cars before delivery, so they can test them. Surprise!

It would be in line with another rumor going around the forums that additional autopilot (ACC in particular) features would be activated mid-month. But my bet is the initial P85D's will just come with the current 6.0 software.

Technically speaking, this autopilot system isn't new. It's been used in many other cars for several years now. More info here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MobileyeAWS

Also, wondering why only some people got the email? I just checked and haven't received anything.

I am certain it boils down to:
1) their email server dropping some emails (I have had some messages clearly lost)
2) spam filters (check your spam folder)
3) a mail delivery system that takes time to run through a few thousand addresses (wait until tomorrow)

in any event, it doesn't matter. You got the message here.