Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, if the problem(s) have been solved we should see joyous messages of production starts and completions. All I see in the spreadsheet is two starts today.
Could it be that:
1. The spreadsheet is a small sample of P85D orders
2. Members are not updating
3. or ????

During the darker days when we had no information and were grasping at straws, I'd done some rough analysis of the gaps between VINs. After adjusting for outliers, including some of the larger gaps which appear to be blocks allocated for some purpose ???, I'd estimated that *at most* 1 of every 10 P85Ds is accounted for in the sheet.

I haven't looked at it much since, as the lack of movement was disheartening, so can't comment on freshness of the current data.

During the darker days when we had no information and were grasping at straws, I'd done some rough analysis of the gaps between VINs. After adjusting for outliers, including some of the larger gaps which appear to be blocks allocated for some purpose ???, I'd estimated that *at most* 1 of every 10 P85Ds is accounted for in the sheet.

I haven't looked at it much since, as the lack of movement was disheartening, so can't comment on freshness of the current data.

I'm not sure what the :"rough analysis of the gaps between VINs" means. It seems to me as VIN # 63299 and still in the queue that VIN # is not real meaningful as far as the P85D's are concerned. I would agree with your overall conclusion about very few cars being represented in the spread sheet. I also think that die hards fans are more likely to order early and be in the spreadsheet so it may be further skewed towards the earliest adopters.

I'm not sure what the :"rough analysis of the gaps between VINs" means. It seems to me as VIN # 63299 and still in the queue that VIN # is not real meaningful as far as the P85D's are concerned. I would agree with your overall conclusion about very few cars being represented in the spread sheet. I also think that die hards fans are more likely to order early and be in the spreadsheet so it may be further skewed towards the earliest adopters.
It means just that, "rough analysis", ie, not fit for peer review.:biggrin: For fun I spent maybe 30 minutes looking at the gaps, trying to account for various things like the mix of other vehicle types, timing issues (such as early adopter skew as you mentioned), and the inherent unreliability of trying to use VINs to predict anything. I was hoping to find something there that might explain the apparent production stall, but ended up making too many assumptions, way more than I'm normally comfortable with, which is why I didn't share initially.

Now that some of the pressure appears to be off, I figured I'd share for entertainment purposes as much as anything.

Please note I was commenting solely on the relative percentage of the P85D population represented, not on using VINs to predict production order... I've commented on the futility of that previously.:biggrin:

Hi All - I am new to the group. Thought I would add my info too.

Ordered: 11/8/2014
Confirmed: 11/10/2014
Estimated delivery: December
Scheduled delivery date: Still in Production
Actual delivery date: -
Delivery location: Denver, CO
Color: Blue
Wheels: 21" Grey
Interior: Tan, Carbon Fiber, black headliner
Options: All but 3rd row & sub zero
Trading up from:E46 BMW M3

Hi All - I am new to the group. Thought I would add my info too.

Ordered: 11/8/2014
Confirmed: 11/10/2014
Estimated delivery: December
Scheduled delivery date: Still in Production
Actual delivery date: -
Delivery location: Denver, CO
Color: Blue
Wheels: 21" Grey
Interior: Tan, Carbon Fiber, black headliner
Options: All but 3rd row & sub zero
Trading up from:E46 BMW M3

Congrats, P85Dan! I've also got an E46 M3 (Cab) with under 40,000 miles for summer fun. Denver and no subzero package?? Did you hear that it is rumored to include a heated steering wheel now?

And VIN: 65265
Entered Production: 11/27/14

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the heated steering wheel may have sealed the deal on that package, had I known. Mostly garage to garage with a Jeep Rubicon as a backup. The M3 becomes my son's good fortune!

And VIN: 65265
Entered Production: 11/27/14

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the heated steering wheel may have sealed the deal on that package, had I known. Mostly garage to garage with a Jeep Rubicon as a backup. The M3 becomes my son's good fortune!

Don't feel bad. When you read the thread on the topic you will see that if you had ordered the package, assuming that your car still would have gone into production when it did, you would not have had the heated steering wheel anyway. The thread that is discussing this is here: Heated steering wheel. Am I going to get my hands on one?

Ok everyone, ready to hold your breath? I got the strangest update from my DS just now.

Apparently, my P85D was built with seats OTHER than the next-gen Recaro ones that I ordered. They are supposedly in short supply, and there's no ETA on when they expect to get enough to fulfill my order. Otherwise my car is basically done and almost ready to go, save for the Recaro seats.

So I now have the following options:

1. Take delivery by the end of the week with whatever seats they ended up building my car with (my DS doesn't know exactly which ones) and eventually get them replaced with the Recaro ones

2. Wait indefinitely for the Recaro seats to arrive in enough supply and take delivery at a future unknown date (possibly 2015, which is unacceptable to me).

I obviously went with option 1, but does anyone else think this is highly unusual??

Last edited:
Unusual? No. I posited exactly this as the possible cause of the delay earlier upthread.

My early P85 was delivered without a rear spoiler, floor mats, and P85 badge because those items, too, were in short supply at the time. I eventually got the spoiler. Even had my choice of glossy or matte. Never bothered to get the badge.

If my guess ends up being right, what do I win?

Last edited:
Ok everyone, ready to hold your breath? I got the strangest update from my DS just now.
I obviously went with option 1, but does anyone else think this is highly unusual??

One strange part of that is that your P85D will eventually have the black next gen seats , which were the first ones made available. This would be a little less odd if you had ordered one of the other colors.

Per the spreadsheet, MarcG ordered a black interior, which is by far the most common selection (60.6% black, 19.7% Grey, 19.2% Tan). I thought perhaps the delay was going to be on the non-black seats, since Tesla originally only offered black. Supplier not able to get the other colors to Tesla in time, etc. So much for that theory.

Sometimes reading this thread threatens my sanity. I'll be so much happier when we start to get actual reports of actual cars. I'm shocked by the seat thing, since all the demo models have had at least the new FRONT seats, if not the rear ones. The whole thing is at least a little bit crazy.

MarcG - aren't you one of the first P85D to enter production? How can they not have enough Recaro seats? That's very odd. Usually when something is in short supply it's the later orders that might not get the part.

Well my P85D entered production on 11/25, so you would think it was one of the early ones - but who knows how many other P85Ds that are NOT on our tracker entered production before mine...

Last edited: