Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I counted 166 December deliveries on the spreadsheet, and 88 in production, so 53% so far. I know our spreadsheet is a relatively small snapshot, but if it is a statistical representation, and there are two weeks left to make the end of month deliveries, and an average of 8 cars per day go in, we should make it, but close!

I hope this storm doesn't disrupt things.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2014-12-11 10.15.40.png

Entered production - Not sure of a 12/22 delivery date though.

So I spoke to a DS today, and was told that my car is "near the end of production" and will soon enter inspection -- but that the inspection is expected to take a while as well due to the newness of the P85D.

Unfortunately, I find it really hard to believe anything from the DS at this point, but assuming that this is true information, let's say production completes today, and inspection goes Friday/Saturday. Car could begin shipping Monday. 10 Days for shipping, 2 days for prep (since I will assume that my car will be delivered with 30 others) ... That puts my delivery at 12/29.

Really coming down to the line for "December" deliveries.

Yes, we can confirm that the car we took pictures in front of was indeed the 1st known customer P85-D which had been delivered on 12/5/14 up in Freemont!
http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-dual-motor-model-s-p85d-delivery-2014-12

I'm still not convinced this was a customer car delivery. The many times I called the Fremont service center, they always said no P85D was delivered yet (up to yesterday afternoon).

Seeing how many Tesla people were standing in front of the car, I'd say it was a Tesla-sponsored event of some sort.

If you don't want to call him out publicly by name. Email ownership and let them know you are frustrated and call him out by name there. I did that once when I walked into a store with no other customers and I wasn't even approached by the associate. Then another customer walked in and I could see he had some questions so I stepped up to answer what I knew. I answered his questions and led him to the mailing list on the big screen and he signed up for notifications. He was from out of town and very interested in getting a car. I hope he is an owner now.

Ownership replied and I don't believe I have ever seen that associate again.

You can't call anyone out on the forums. First thing I learned when the mods edit your post - and I only posted their initials which was annoying. Anyway that was about my crazy financial advisor who was the worst of the worst. Ended up dealing with someone over him and got things done quickly and now I'm in the same boat with my DS. No emails back, no return calls. Tesla needs to step up responses to customers. This is one thing that I never had an issue with while dealing with BMW. Let's go Tesla!

I'm still not convinced this was a customer car delivery. The many times I called the Fremont service center, they always said no P85D was delivered yet (up to yesterday afternoon).

Seeing how many Tesla people were standing in front of the car, I'd say it was a Tesla-sponsored event of some sort.

motor4toys is not a Tesla sponsored event, far from it, approximately 20 Tesla's out of thousands of cars gather every year to collect toys for less fortunate kids & family's, the P85D owner was there & shared his story of how & why he got his car, prior to posting the picture I asked the Tesla employee if it would be OK, why would we try to scam this community?
http://www.motor4toys.com

I counted 166 December deliveries on the spreadsheet, and 88 in production, so 53% so far. I know our spreadsheet is a relatively small snapshot, but if it is a statistical representation, and there are two weeks left to make the end of month deliveries, and an average of 8 cars per day go in, we should make it, but close!

I hope this storm doesn't disrupt things.

Even in this small snapshot, not a single delivery date entry yet. It would be nice to at least see one.

Ended up dealing with someone over him and got things done quickly and now I'm in the same boat with my DS. No emails back, no return calls. Tesla needs to step up responses to customers. This is one thing that I never had an issue with while dealing with BMW. Let's go Tesla!

I initially had the same issues with my DS and ended up sending feedback to Jerome about this. He responded fairly quickly, copying the senior manager of global delivery experience, who then scheduled a call with me to go over the issues and address them. My DS has since been a lot more responsive!

motor4toys is not a Tesla sponsored event, far from it, approximately 20 Tesla's out of thousands of cars gather every year to collect toys for less fortunate kids & family's, the P85D owner was there & shared his story of how & why he got his car, prior to posting the picture I asked the Tesla employee if it would be OK, why would we try to scam this community?

Sorry I didn't mean motor4toys was a Tesla event. I was referring to the event around the P85D, either it was still a Tesla-owned car that they decided to drive to motor4toys as a showcase of the latest and greatest, or it was being delivered to a Teala employee at the show. Why else would there be so many Tesla employees there?

Sorry I didn't mean motor4toys was a Tesla event. I was referring to the event around the P85D, either it was still a Tesla-owned car that they decided to drive to motor4toys as a showcase of the latest and greatest, or it was being delivered to a Teala employee at the show. Why else would there be so many Tesla employees there?

In the photo I see people wearing Tesla branded gear: they're not necessarily employees.

Unfortunately, I find it really hard to believe anything from the DS at this point, but assuming that this is true information, let's say production completes today, and inspection goes Friday/Saturday. Car could begin shipping Monday. 10 Days for shipping, 2 days for prep (since I will assume that my car will be delivered with 30 others) ... That puts my delivery at 12/29.

Keep in mind that the "inspection" cycle can be quite long. I've been in "inspection" since 11/29 (the first time I saw the website change to "Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery.", had 2 delivery dates (12/5, then 12/3), then nothing (cancelled delivery within 24h of it). And apparently I'm still in this very thorough inspection cycle (I picture them inspecting every single bolt/nut :biggrin:), with no word from my DS about a new delivery date.

It's fun to predict dates, but I'd recommend being cautious about making arrangements based on such date.
I know people who relied on such dates for important things (vacations, travels, etc), and that makes it extremely painful when the date isn't held.

Now, if only my DS would call me today! :eek:

-- Greg

Keep in mind that the "inspection" cycle can be quite long. I've been in "inspection" since 11/29 (the first time I saw the website change to "Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery.", had 2 delivery dates (12/5, then 12/3), then nothing (cancelled delivery within 24h of it). And apparently I'm still in this very thorough inspection cycle (I picture them inspecting every single bolt/nut :biggrin:), with no word from my DS about a new delivery date.

It's fun to predict dates, but I'd recommend being cautious about making arrangements based on such date.
I know people who relied on such dates for important things (vacations, travels, etc), and that makes it extremely painful when the date isn't held.

Now, if only my DS would call me today! :eek:

-- Greg

If the cars fail during inspection for some reason, they will need rework. Depending on the issue, that could take some time, and I am sure they will never tell you about that.

I don't think this was a customer car and the article is using the original posting on TMC as a source. Might be an employee who has been driving a demo or beta car or whatever. The only information from DSs and Tesla HQ that seems to be consistent is that the P85D has not been delivered and is only now starting to role again. As someone who was fairly early in the build cycle and whose car was initially completed I'm still sitting in production with no feedback on my delivery date. I suspect we are still days away from the first delivery though my initial prediction was for yesterday :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I didn't read this before my earlier post but I'm still not clear. Are you saying the P85D owner was a Tesla employee or just a normal non-Tesla owner? I guess if he was a real owner its possible that he was just ahead of those of us who were nearly loaded onto a truck, i.e. he got delivery before the stoppage. Wonder if he needs to bring it to a service center now.

This may sound silly considering there have been 1,854 posts (this will be 1,855) in this thread on just about every conceivable topic, but .. does it really matter if it was a customer car, demo car, etc? Soon enough someone from here will take delivery.

Edit: weird. It went from 1,854 to 1,7xx something.

Edit edit: Even stranger - it's now 1,855.

I spoke with my DS yesterday, as I was also concerned about getting my P85D before the end of the year... it hasn't even started production, but he assured me that he fully expects it to make the delivery date.

Here's to hoping!

Be happy.. if you ordered the sub-zero package you'll probably get the heated steering wheel. <sigh>

I'm curious about the "how & why he got his car". Lump, is that something you could share?

If the cars fail during inspection for some reason, they will need rework. Depending on the issue, that could take some time, and I am sure they will never tell you about that.

That's a very good point. From Jerome's email it sounds like there were more issues that the "final concern, which was the airbag deployment for the upgraded seat design". I don't expect full transparency on what exactly were all the issues and how long it took to fix each one of them. But you'd think that since they've now resolved the "final concern", they've decided there are no further issues to fix so a clear schedule of deliveries should now be communicated.

I suspect we are still days away from the first delivery though my initial prediction was for yesterday :-(

So was mine, as yesterday was my initial schedule delivery date. However I'm still hopeful that I'll take delivery by Saturday at the latest! (call me an eternal optimist...)

But you'd think that since they've now resolved the "final concern", they've decided there are no further issues to fix so a clear schedule of deliveries should now be communicated.

It doesn't mean there aren't specific issues to be addressed with certain VINs. Even though the issue has a known solution, the car still needs rework. If they weren't looking for problems with the vehicle, there would be no point in testing. There are also quality checks along the way, during production. The car could get held up in any one of them (paint for example).

You are probably right, but it's unfortunate. If there's been work/fixes in some areas, I'd rather know so I can pay special attention to symptoms to detect issues early. Of course, they would probably not like that, as it would turn customers into car-hypochondriacs who "see issues" where there aren't, but as a customer, I know that when you do a repair/fix in an area, things aren't the same: stuff as been pulled back and put back, screws removed/put back (torqued correctly?), etc.

-- Greg