Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is unlikely that a car would be delivered with old seats without you already knowing by now. Also, Tesla probably realizes that swapping out seats at the factory (faulty new seats -> old seats) and then again at the dealer (old seats -> fixed new seats) will probably be absurdly expensive and time consuming. I would think the only ones with this sort of job will primarily be very close to the Factory (so that the slightly used seats could be returned there and may live on to serve some other purpose).

I certainly hope you are right. But to argue on the other side of it, bear in mind, I did catch my DS somewhat off-guard by calling him just after my car completed production--he did not call me. He hadn't had time to research anything. So it's not as if he was coming to me with the information that my car was ready to transport, etc. I'm guessing he looked up the status while we were on the phone. So in that sense it's not really very "late in the process", is I guess what I'm getting at.

To argue back on the other side of this to the "perhaps I really --am-- getting the next generation seats" side, I'm pretty sure when we first started hearing about the shortages we were hearing about shortages with the black next generation seats. Mine will be grey. So I do have that going for me. Also the grey were not initially available, so again, grasping at straws here, it is possible that the original problems with the black may have existed, but then those problems were worked out in the grey (and tan?) before grey (and tan) were ever listed as options.

Last edited:
Thanks Early Adopter

Hi John. Welcome to the forum.

I feel for your frustration in the delay. Most of us with P85Ds that went into production before December 4th are stuck in limbo. We've got a whole thread dedicated to it over here: First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

Thanks for the feedback and the thread...it seems there are a lot of people in the same boat as me...will keep you posted when I get more info.

John

I am local to the SF Bay area and this is my status. No calls so far on any compromise on Seats. Will keep you posted.

tesla.jpg

Last edited:
Well its official, waiting until Feb to get the right build. Very disappointed about the whole process. From the regional manager: heating steering wheels in the sub zero package are hit and miss, NOT guaranteed no matter when your build is. "They are not widely available".

I guess the good news is it will be a 2015 so it will be worth more than a 2014. I have a better chance of getting a heated steering wheel and I will get next generation seats. Now I just have to wait another 2 1/2 months on top of the 2 months I have already waited, SUCKS..... Thanks Tesla. Jerome and Elon never bothered you email me back. I wish all those who took their cars with last years seats good luck and Merry Christmas. As an company investor, I am glad you helped Elon hit his year in numbers!

I guess the good news is it will be a 2015 so it will be worth more than a 2014. I have a better chance of getting a heated steering wheel and I will get next generation seats. Now I just have to wait another 2 1/2 months on top of the 2 months I have already waited, SUCKS..... Thanks Tesla. Jerome and Elon never bothered you email me back. I wish all those who took their cars with last years seats good luck and Merry Christmas. As an company investor, I am glad you helped Elon hit his year in numbers!

Were you really wanting Elon to email you back?

Mine just completed Production today (Google Doc updated). My Dashboard states "Production Complete - Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery." If I could pickup a Canadian car from Fremont it would be nice to drive it back, however I will have to wait hopefully for a Christmas gift.

Mine just updated: "Production Complete - Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery" Not sure whether it will be with Next Gen Tan seats as order or not. The Purchase Agreement now on My Tesla says: "Vehicle to Be Delivered On or About December 20th" in Chicago

Progress! Congrats...

*sigh*

Still languishing in the production queueueueueueueueue, myself...but it can't be long, now, right? Right? :(

*sigh*

[...trying not to jeopardize the title of MPG (Most Patient Guy), bestowed on me by tezco last week: so proud... ;) ]

Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 228

I feel your pain. I'm still in the torturous queue. Every time I email my DS, he says I should start production in the "next few days." I usually have no problem with patience, but the $7,500 tax credit for this year would be nice.

Still building here.. I'm going to be on the west coast starting tomorrow. If they could deliver my car in Washington or Nevada or anywhere that would respect out of state tax status I'd consider driving cross country.

I called my DS just now and learned that my car is now "Ready for Transport." He's not certain about what seats are in the car. (I ordered it with Next Generation grey seats.) He is attempting to check with production and let me know, and will also let me know when he gets more information with respect to a possible delivery date.

My DS just called. Apparently my car is on a truck, headed for Mt. Kisco. It does not have the Next Generation seats. Still no definite confirmation on whether or not it actually has the heated steering wheel.