Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't disagree that people should in most cases chill a bit -- but that doesn't mean that the anxiety wasn't caused by flawed execution/communication from Tesla.

These are lessons Tesla should learn before trying to scale up to 100,000+ cars per year.
If you have ever been involved with a smaller (in this case still smaller in the scale of the automobile industry) company undergoing rapid expansion and growing pains, often communication can be the last thing on the minds of the ownership. Although this is typically the most important as perceived by the consumers, the ownership is most often more focused on the client experience from a product standpoint and is more focused on ensuring the product delivers as close to the client expectation as possible. Tesla will likely look back on this experience and while not necessarily deciding their decisions were wrong, they will work to improve client communication.

Keep in mind (everyone) that communication without 100% clarity is a double-edged sword and no matter how much information you give... people will always want more and fill the gaps with speculation. This is why major companies revert to little/no communication or media releases only. Tesla has tried to keep things "grass roots" with their more humane approach at communicating however it seems that no matter what they try it will never be good enough for the internet forum dwellers.

If you have ever been involved with a smaller (in this case still smaller in the scale of the automobile industry) company undergoing rapid expansion and growing pains, often communication can be the last thing on the minds of the ownership. Although this is typically the most important as perceived by the consumers, the ownership is most often more focused on the client experience from a product standpoint and is more focused on ensuring the product delivers as close to the client expectation as possible. Tesla will likely look back on this experience and while not necessarily deciding their decisions were wrong, they will work to improve client communication.

Keep in mind (everyone) that communication without 100% clarity is a double-edged sword and no matter how much information you give... people will always want more and fill the gaps with speculation. This is why major companies revert to little/no communication or media releases only. Tesla has tried to keep things "grass roots" with their more humane approach at communicating however it seems that no matter what they try it will never be good enough for the internet forum dwellers.

I am a business owner, and I actually had some discussions with my partners about the botched communications here, and used it as some lessons learned on how to improve our own communications.

Anyway back to the On-topic ...

DS sent me an email confirming that my car has now been completed and is being staged for shipment, but until it is actually on a truck, he will not be able to set a delivery date. No estimate yet on when that will be, but I am hopeful that it will be "tomorrow".

I ordered on 10/10 and confirmed on 10/25. My DS says my car will be here (Chicago) Friday for pickup. However, the next generation seats I ordered did not make it. He is telling me that they will put those in in the near future and my car will have to go in for the change. Anyone else having this experience. My car went into production on about 11/24. It was complete about 3 or 4 days ago. So I guess they will swap out the seats in January.

I ordered on 10/10 and confirmed on 10/25. My DS says my car will be here (Chicago) Friday for pickup. However, the next generation seats I ordered did not make it. He is telling me that they will put those in in the near future and my car will have to go in for the change. Anyone else having this experience.

As best I can determine, no customer yet has been delivered a car with the next gen seats. Some people have been told that their car does still have them, but we only have public reports on I believe four cars all of which had older seats.

I had the exact same feelings as you (although the the tax thing is a non-issue for me as I do not get any form of rebate whatsoever - the joys of living in "oil country" :)). Today my car went out of the queueueueueue and I couldn't believe it! I thought I was heading for the black hole but I am excited to be progressing and very happy overall. Hopefully my change in status gives you hope and further patience.

Thank You 3s-a-charm. Your progress does indeed give me hope! I look forward to posting when I'm finally in production. I bet you'll be completed by Friday… I'll be looking for your completion post...

Wow finally lots of happy people, great to see wk057 might get his in time. This has been a very up and down experience for me since the 26 th when my car was complete and we started to finalize everything for delivery, to the 2nd when my car abruptly went back into production where it has been ever since. I finally decided if I wasn't likely to get my car until the end of the month (at best) then I might as well swallow my impatience for a few more weeks and get a freshly built car that may have the heated steering wheel and any other features or improvements they have thrown in by then - rather than getting my week 1 build, delivered 4 weeks late in an unknown state. Getting a 2015 is cool too as my first P85 was a 2014 it will feel symbolically more like a new car. I hope for every ones sake that your cars are immaculate and trouble free, and for all I know I could get a problem car, without the heated steering wheel or seats. I'm just playing the odds, trying to get some order back into my life and for once in my life trying not to be impatient. I'm planning on keeping this car for a while so whats a few more weeks. If pulling mine out of the queue helps someone else who is on a deadline, that's fine too.
@3s a charm, maybe you can show off yours when you get it!

Finally, a status change: Production Complete!!! 3 weeks to the day after it went in. No idea which seats yet, but don't care at this point.

Same here, production complete today. No clue which seats I have. I was never given a choice or a call regarding them.

BTW, Andrew. Is it possible to sort the spreadsheet by Delivery Complete date again? I've fallen off the bottom of it.

Last edited: