Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. It's becoming more complicated. Currently sorting in this order Delivered->Finished production->Entered production->Scheduled delivery date->VIN.

Andrew

Thank you SO much for keeping this spreadsheet up to date andrewket. Especially since it seems you are now canceling and reordering.

I am wondering if you could add a few columns about seats? (current front, current rear, expected upgrade date, actual installed date)

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much for keeping this spreadsheet up to date andrewket. Especially since it seems you are now canceling and reordering.

I am wondering if you could add a few columns about seats? (current front, current rear, expected upgrade date, actual installed date)

Thanks again.

Yes, Andrew. I should have said this as well. Thank you so much for doing this. It's probably the best way we've gotten information regarding the cars, and our fellow black hole sufferees.

Just got a call from my DS, my family's P85D has completed production(12/16). Entered production (12/5). (VIN 638XX) Exterior: Grey, Interior: Grey, All options minus 3rd Row Seats, Cold Weather Package and Premium Interior Package. Was told that the Next Gen Seats will not be in my car, just the old Performance Seats. And I'll have the option to get the Next Gen Seats installed in early 2015.

Thanks, all. Happy to do it. It really doesn't take that much effort, and as many of you have said, it's been one of the best sources for information. Tesla would probably prefer that we didn't do this, but oh well. It will give me something to do while I wait.. again... :\

I really have no idea what "rep" points are used for on here, but if you want, send some my way. I can collect green squares! (Hit the star on the bottom left of this message, under the location and post count). It doesn't show up if you're using something like Tapatalk.

I've modified the seat type column to be "Ordered seat type", and have added "Delivered seat type" and "If ordered Next Gen but not delivered, date Next ten seats were installed".

You'll have to scroll to the right on the spreadsheet to see them. Currently column R and S.

Link to spreadsheet for your convenience.

I've modified the seat type column to be "Ordered seat type", and have added "Delivered seat type" and "If ordered Next Gen but not delivered, date Next ten seats were installed".

You'll have to scroll to the right on the spreadsheet to see them. Currently column R and S.

I updated mine. I'm guessing "Nappa" is the same as "Performance" because that's what I was told I would receive for now. Rep points awarded. Thanks for all the effort sir!

Looks like columns T, U, V, and W got corrupted when you inserted R and S. All are reporting invalid contents.

I just received a call from my DS. He said mine is in final inspection, and that it will not have the next generation seats. I specifically asked about the installation nuances of putting in the seats outside the factory and he assured me that seat swaps are a very simple procedure technically and that the service centers are skilled at it.

As far as delivery date to Los Angeles he still couldn't give me a final date. I'm hoping for early next week.

Patience everyone, it will all work out.

So for me, my thinking is

1) My car has been in production for 21 days now (first batch car?), there clearly appears to be issues with its original build (I do not know the issue and either does DS), and it is taking long time to fix (not a good sign). There seems to be a real possibility that my car is not as well built as the current P85D's being built. Why not get a car built right the first time versus a beta production car that has issues?

2) I ordered the regular performance leather seats as I was unaware of the Next Gen seats being the preferred "better" option. (note, seems my issue in delay may not be the seats). Now I would like to upgrade.

3) If I reorder, my car is delivered in February, so the new paint gets to miss the worst part of Chicago weather, it is a 2015 model, and as a small upgrade bonus get a heated steering wheel and maybe even a few more interior upgrades being rumored. Also, I am out of town 1/1 to 1/20 anyway.

The downside is waiting, driving my daughter's mini-SUV, and possibly higher costs to finance. So am i crazy to cancel and rebook if I do not lose the deposit? What would you do?
Totally agree with this and the parts of Andrews comments that apply to me. I'm not canceling, just reordering which means a wait that totally sucks; however, if I have no actual deadline, why not wait a few weeks (or whatever) to get a car that will have been built once, correctly and which probably has an additional heated steering wheel feature. If I'm going to wait an indefinite period for a car (mine was originally completed november 26th and was still in production yesterday) I might as well get one that was built recently along with whatever that entails. I'm going to keep this car a long time I hope so If getting the best possible car means waiting another month or two then I'm going to grit my teeth. That being said I have given up my P85+ and I'm dying to get back to driving an S ASAP so Ill happily accept without complaint, whatever new features pop up once I'm actually in possession of the new car (as I did with my first one).

I updated mine. I'm guessing "Nappa" is the same as "Performance" because that's what I was told I would receive for now. Rep points awarded. Thanks for all the effort sir!

The seats have been confusing. At one point there was next gen, performance, nappa, and textile. But then a few days later either the perf or the nappa seats were dropped. I think performance was dropped? But now if you look it's next gen, nappa which is actually performance, and black textile.

My deliver date has recently changed frost from December then to Late December now to this.

tesla delay.PNG

I was a 11/26 start. Anyone else seeing this change?

So as a Tesla stockholder, I'm a little concerned about the cost involved in "seat gate". Does Tesla simply plan on eating the costs associated with this or will they recycle the Performance Seats they replace with Next Gen seats? Just curious if anyone might know what they plan to do with several thousand seats???

So as a Tesla stockholder, I'm a little concerned about the cost involved in "seat gate". Does Tesla simply plan on eating the costs associated with this or will they recycle the Performance Seats they replace with Next Gen seats? Just curious if anyone might know what they plan to do with several thousand seats???

Tesla manufactures the seats in-house, so likely they don't cost as much as if they were buying them entirely from a supplier.

Certain components within the seat (eg: airbags) are probably the biggest true cost.

If I end up with the performance seats temporarily, I am planning on asking tesla if I can have or buy them to make them into seats for my office.

If tesla did this, I bet they would sell out in a few days.