Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why these images are showing upside down, but uh oh! My P85D just malfunctioned before it hit 250 miles D:

Attachments

• IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3450.JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 979
  • IMG_3449.JPG
    IMG_3449.JPG
    431.3 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:
The car was still operational at reduced power output. I was able to get home and I'm planning to drop it off at a service center on the way to work tomorrow.

I took a turn this evening and heard a "pop" and then felt the car jerk to the side. I thought I popped a tire but when I pulled over, I saw the above warning message.

The car was still operational at reduced power output. I was able to get home and I'm planning to drop it off at a service center on the way to work tomorrow.

I took a turn this evening and heard a "pop" and then felt the car jerk to the side. I thought I popped a tire but when I pulled over, I saw the above warning message.

Please keep us informed with the progress of your repairs and any details you learn. This probably deserves it's own thread since I am sure there will be a lot of interest on this, and it's somewhat offtopic from this thread.

Picked up my P85D today. Thought I would share initial impressions.

Let's start with service - well despite my last minute panic, I was able to use an electronic check to pay for the car and all went well on that front. The rest of the pickup was uneventful, but also disappointing. The walk through on my car was uninformed - didn't know lots of basics like what the tow-hook was for. Consistent with my experience with my DS. I was also surprised how few other people were there. I picked my car up at 2:00 on Sunday. Seemed pretty quiet.

Now for the car. Keep in mind that I'm a previous Model-S owner. I had a very early 85 and was very happy with it. However, my car was built in March of 2013 - way before any of the current stock of features (e.g. folding mirrors, etc).

My initial takeaway on the car is that many things are much improved:
- parking sensors and folding mirrors are small but awesome changes
- the new black headliner looks slick! I have the grey interior and it is a nice contrast. This is a really nice upgrade
- the new high res screen on the dash is so much better than the old. everything looks much more crisp
- the new UHF Stereo with Subwoofer is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the old sound system.
- the car overall is much quieter
- the new charge port is so much better - I used to get out of my car all the time at work and forget to unlock my charging port. Never again!
- the interior lights are a much warmer color now. No longer a very soft, very white light
- Love the (T)esla embossed in the trunk floor

When I picked up my first Model-S, I had a bunch of factory re-work I had to get done. I had problems with the sunroof, the trim, door handles, and a broken window. Some of those things broke within the first 3 mos. Some of them I saw day 1. This car seemed pretty flawless.

Now for a few disappointments:
- the car still uses 3G - not surprised about this. I think that AT&T must have great bulk rates for this spectrum
- I did not get the premium interior package, and did not realize that this is the ONLY way to get ambient lights. for my first S, these were standard. I really miss this feature and though it is small, I'm really sad not to have these anymore.
- the frunk is way smaller. Still usable, but if you are using the rear seats, you're not carrying luggage in the car anymore.

Ok, but this is a P85D, what about all the new features? Mostly good, but there are some mixed feelings here.
- First off, the car looks great! I know this isn't P85D specific, but I love the new grey color, and the grey wheels with the red calipers look great with it!!
- The speed limit sign reading actually works really well. I don't think it missed a single sign both on the freeway and on residential streets. It also then adjusts the speedometer so that any speed > than the limit shows up as grey rather than the standard blue. It's pretty slick and is a nice sign of things to come with autopilot.
- The lane assist is so well integrated, that I did not realize that it was working. I thought I was running over rough road when I was drifting too far. But you get 3 rumbles as you drive to the edge of the lane. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but I think that's because it won't go off more than once every 15 seconds or so. Still, seemed to work.
- Acceleration - ok, maybe my expectations were set too high, but I did not find the acceleration insane. Fast yes, but not crazy. It seemed the same as driving a P85 to me. Now, MAYBE this is because my battery was delivered almost empty and I didn't see the power output get to 480kw. I'll try again tomorrow once I have a full charge. But, my initial feedback was - this is nice, but not insane
- Range - is definitely NEGATIVELY affected. Driving home from the factory, I would normally get 320Wh/mile or better driving at 65mph. I was closer to 400Wh/mile overall, and 350Wh/mile with cruise control. I'm believing the EPA numbers, and feeling that Tesla made a huge error in claiming that the D would get better range. I'll test this more over the next couple of days, but so far, I'm expecting my range has gone down quite a bit, even on the freeway.
- Regen braking - it does seem that you can go beyond 60Kw of regen, but hard to see how much more (70kw?). the braking feels a bit more than the standard S, but not too much so - it is generally not noticeable.

That's it for now. I'll post more of a review after I've had a couple of days to drive the thing.

Oh one last thing - I didn't get Next Gen seats either, and I also didn't get a heated wheel. The latter wasn't a big deal to me as I didn't order the car expecting it.

Let's start with service - well despite my last minute panic, I was able to use an electronic check to pay for the car and all went well on that front. The rest of the pickup was uneventful, but also disappointing. The walk through on my car was uninformed - didn't know lots of basics like what the tow-hook was for. Consistent with my experience with my DS. I was also surprised how few other people were there. I picked my car up at 2:00 on Sunday. Seemed pretty quiet.

Now for the car. Keep in mind that I'm a previous Model-S owner. I had a very early 85 and was very happy with it. However, my car was built in March of 2013 - way before any of the current stock of features (e.g. folding mirrors, etc).

My initial takeaway on the car is that many things are much improved:
- parking sensors and folding mirrors are small but awesome changes
- the new black headliner looks slick! I have the grey interior and it is a nice contrast. This is a really nice upgrade
- the new high res screen on the dash is so much better than the old. everything looks much more crisp
- the new UHF Stereo with Subwoofer is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the old sound system.
- the car overall is much quieter
- the new charge port is so much better - I used to get out of my car all the time at work and forget to unlock my charging port. Never again!
- the interior lights are a much warmer color now. No longer a very soft, very white light
- Love the (T)esla embossed in the trunk floor

When I picked up my first Model-S, I had a bunch of factory re-work I had to get done. I had problems with the sunroof, the trim, door handles, and a broken window. Some of those things broke within the first 3 mos. Some of them I saw day 1. This car seemed pretty flawless.

Now for a few disappointments:
- the car still uses 3G - not surprised about this. I think that AT&T must have great bulk rates for this spectrum
- I did not get the premium interior package, and did not realize that this is the ONLY way to get ambient lights. for my first S, these were standard. I really miss this feature and though it is small, I'm really sad not to have these anymore.
- the frunk is way smaller. Still usable, but if you are using the rear seats, you're not carrying luggage in the car anymore.

Ok, but this is a P85D, what about all the new features? Mostly good, but there are some mixed feelings here.
- First off, the car looks great! I know this isn't P85D specific, but I love the new grey color, and the grey wheels with the red calipers look great with it!!
- The speed limit sign reading actually works really well. I don't think it missed a single sign both on the freeway and on residential streets. It also then adjusts the speedometer so that any speed > than the limit shows up as grey rather than the standard blue. It's pretty slick and is a nice sign of things to come with autopilot.
- The lane assist is so well integrated, that I did not realize that it was working. I thought I was running over rough road when I was drifting too far. But you get 3 rumbles as you drive to the edge of the lane. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but I think that's because it won't go off more than once every 15 seconds or so. Still, seemed to work.
- Acceleration - ok, maybe my expectations were set too high, but I did not find the acceleration insane. Fast yes, but not crazy. It seemed the same as driving a P85 to me. Now, MAYBE this is because my battery was delivered almost empty and I didn't see the power output get to 480kw. I'll try again tomorrow once I have a full charge. But, my initial feedback was - this is nice, but not insane
- Range - is definitely NEGATIVELY affected. Driving home from the factory, I would normally get 320Wh/mile or better driving at 65mph. I was closer to 400Wh/mile overall, and 350Wh/mile with cruise control. I'm believing the EPA numbers, and feeling that Tesla made a huge error in claiming that the D would get better range. I'll test this more over the next couple of days, but so far, I'm expecting my range has gone down quite a bit, even on the freeway.
- Regen braking - it does seem that you can go beyond 60Kw of regen, but hard to see how much more (70kw?). the braking feels a bit more than the standard S, but not too much so - it is generally not noticeable.

That's it for now. I'll post more of a review after I've had a couple of days to drive the thing.

Oh one last thing - I didn't get Next Gen seats either, and I also didn't get a heated wheel. The latter wasn't a big deal to me as I didn't order the car expecting it.

After reading reviews like this and with all the delays and uncertainty, I'm starting to regret trading in my P85+.

After reading reviews like this and with all the delays and uncertainty, I'm starting to regret trading in my P85+.

I understand this sentiment. But don't do this to yourself. Just imagine how you would be feeling driving your old P85+ when that P85D comes by you and you think - I regret not upgrading ;-)

Oh, one more thing - I also heard something today at the factory that has been rumored elsewhere in this thread - one of the Tesla employees mentioned that Tesla is trying to get a software update with adaptive cruise control out before the end of the year. Even if it comes in January, these autopilot upgrades are going to be very cool.

P85D It's out of production

image.jpg
Got the call today car was out of production and ready for pick up on Wednesday. Planning to get it and a factory tour on my birthday this Saturday! DS told me black next gen seats or about 50-50 being installed and all other colors being delivered without. Can't wait for Saturday ! Enjoy guys

P85D, all options except dual back seats.

View attachment 66732Got the call today car was out of production and ready for pick up on Wednesday. Planning to get it and a factory tour on my birthday this Saturday! DS told me black next gen seats or about 50-50 being installed and all other colors being delivered without. Can't wait for Saturday ! Enjoy guys

P85D, all options except dual back seats.

Contrats! My VIN# is a couple numbers after yours, same color and slightly less options. My car entered production late last week; curious when yours went into production? I'll be having the car delivered to Socal

I have been watching your car too 3s. We both went into production on the 15th. Last I checked (Friday) I was still in General Assembly. Do you know where your car is at? I think we are in a black hole too. We both have gray interiors. I am wondering if that is the reason.
I will email my DS this morning and see where it is in the production process. I haven't been checking at all other than MyTesla. I am still "In Production" this morning so that's one week in Production - others have been 2 or 3 days (yet others have been close to a month).

Now that gpetti cancelled/reordered I don't know if there is another car going to Calgary or not - sounds like there might be a few Calgary orders on the official Tesla forum but it's hard to tell and they haven't added their info to this spreadsheet.

I'm not too worried - just anxious. Also back to sharing a vehicle with my wife which makes things challenging in winter.

I will email my DS this morning and see where it is in the production process. I haven't been checking at all other than MyTesla. I am still "In Production" this morning so that's one week in Production - others have been 2 or 3 days (yet others have been close to a month).

Now that gpetti cancelled/reordered I don't know if there is another car going to Calgary or not - sounds like there might be a few Calgary orders on the official Tesla forum but it's hard to tell and they haven't added their info to this spreadsheet.

I'm not too worried - just anxious. Also back to sharing a vehicle with my wife which makes things challenging in winter.

i am going to call my DS today. Will let you know what I find out

Please keep us informed with the progress of your repairs and any details you learn. This probably deserves it's own thread since I am sure there will be a lot of interest on this, and it's somewhat offtopic from this thread.

I wasn't able to find a new thread for this yet. If it has already been started, could someone please post a link to it in this thread? If it has not yet been started, please post a link here when it is, since people here are, of course, interested.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for taking the time!

As for the range, there is a thread and a spreadsheet (that is not getting a lot of attention yet) for new P85D owners to record highway mileage info, so we can get a good idea of what's really happening. It's located here: P85D range and highway battery performance

I would think that if people start recording their data, it shouldn't take long to get a pretty clear picture of the P85Ds real highway numbers.

Yes, and now we're starting to hear about P85D issues. My guess is this was rushed out to meet the quarter and the software/hardware aren't quite ready. The early adopters will debug it all during this beta period of 3-6 months, just like the initial Model S rollout back in 2012. Not sure I want to help debug autopilot software for Tesla...

Yes, and now we're starting to hear about P85D issues. My guess is this was rushed out to meet the quarter and the software/hardware aren't quite ready. The early adopters will debug it all during this beta period of 3-6 months, just like the initial Model S rollout back in 2012. Not sure I want to help debug autopilot software for Tesla...

Let's see - the only serious problem among all the P85D deliveries reported here thus far, and the conclusion is... "rushed out to meet the quarter".