Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spotted a rare bird at the Rockville SC. This is NOT my car (Mine is red).

94f34405c1e93d64e1379b03ce682f90.jpg
3ab3292b2acb473ef545b9b07b693e58.jpg

Last edited:
I took delivery today. Sadly, no pictures worth sharing just yet, as the car is now in the hands of my detailer getting cleaned up and film installed before I leave for my trip. First impression matches others here:

Andrew

Well there you GO! Great news.
Please post some nice pictures Andrew as your combo is probably exactly what I will be ordering.
Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles.

BTW, what film protection are you having installed? And where on the body? Front leading edges and full hood?

Cheers Amigo... Art

I took delivery today. Sadly, no pictures worth sharing just yet, as the car is now in the hands of my detailer getting cleaned up and film installed before I leave for my trip. First impression matches others here:

1/ Much more refined than my P85+. You can tell the car has gone through many refinements over the past 20 months.
2/ Acceleration - it's FAST, but as the driver it didn't scare me, which may actually be a problem. You can hit triple digits (theoretically, of course) very quickly, and the ride is so quiet and smooth you won't realize it. I mostly drove in sport mode, with one launch in insane mode.
3/ On the highway I averaged 335 wH/mile on a 5-mile run at 60-70mph.
4/ The higher resolution display on the instrument cluster is much easier on the eyes.
5/ Noise - I do not think it's any noisier than my P85+. You hear the normal whine on acceleration, but while cruising it seemed fine.
6/ Stereo - yeah, it's still not great. I'll probably do the Reus system again (although they need to figure out how to mount the center tweeter as the mirror area has changed.)

I'll be sure to share pictures and more thoughts/data from my road trip over the next two weeks.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the car was delivered with 28 miles on the odo, and almost a full charge showing 238 rated miles (the techs doing the inspection went for a quick spin.) Version 6.0 (2.0.72) of the software, and an update is already pending.

Andrew

Are you happy with the upgrade (considering cost etc) vs the P85+? I took a bath on mine and have started to wonder whether I made the right decision after all that's been happening the last 4-5 weeks.

Did the power/acceleration seem noticeably more significant than the P85+?

Are you happy with the upgrade (considering cost etc) vs the P85+? I took a bath on mine and have started to wonder whether I made the right decision after all that's been happening the last 4-5 weeks.

Did the power/acceleration seem noticeably more significant than the P85+?

@403portside, not worth second-guessing the move, IMO. The difference can be rather subjective, I guess. Enjoy the P85D when you get yours and don't look back :)

My car is in "final EOL test" I guess it is the final step before production complete. My DS was a little cagey with his update though, so I am wondering what that really means. He said I have gone through the water test and burn-in, so I guess that is a good sign, unless it has been pulled into a rework bay.

i am going to call my DS today. Will let you know what I find out
I've been told my car is being prepared to leave the factory and they will likely be detailing/prepping in Vancouver Thursday or Friday so I can have delivery 28/29 of Dec in Calgary. Hope this helps! I'm getting pretty darn excited.

For those of you taking delivery I LOVE seeing your photos so please post pictures inside and out so it continues to feel real for us still waiting. Thx!

I've been told my car is being prepared to leave the factory and they will likely be detailing/prepping in Vancouver Thursday or Friday so I can have delivery 28/29 of Dec in Calgary. Hope this helps! I'm getting pretty darn excited.

For those of you taking delivery I LOVE seeing your photos so please post pictures inside and out so it continues to feel real for us still waiting. Thx!

What does your dashboard say? Still in production?

Looks like "German engineering" ain't infallible after all...

"Mercedes-Benz recall includes 284,000 cars with faulty taillights" Mercedes-Benz recall includes 284,000 cars with faulty taillights - CSMonitor.com

"BMW recalls 1.6 million cars on airbag concerns" BMW recalls 1.6 million cars on airbag concerns - Jul. 16, 2014

"Audi recalls 2013-2014 S6 and S7 models over fuel line leak" Audi recalls 2013-2014 S6 and S7 models over fuel line leak

Looks like even the best German vehicles can suck right up there with the best of em! :wink: :biggrin:

How is it that you haven't figured out that any man-made object, from MB to BMW to Tesla, to artificial hip, to computer program can fail?

More importantly, why are you holding Tesla to a different standard?

I asked Tesla to provide the next gen seats free of charge due to the hassles I've faced with the delivery of my P85 and P85D and they declined. So I've cancelled my order. Don't let Tesla cram an incomplete car down your throat. Tell them you don't want it until the seats are ready. If enough people do this, those seats will get done in a hurry. I don't have time to waste making up for Tesla's mistakes. Every visit to the dealer wastes 2 hours and I've probably been in 15 times in my 2 years. As much as it saddens me to not have the P85D, at least I can buy a BMW or Audi that has decent build quality and a service operation that doesn't completely suck. And you can bet they are cutting quality corners cranking these out before the end of the year. Just like 2012.

Here's an example of a Ford Flex order being held for ~ 2 months @ Wanna-be Flex Owner - need a pep talk! : Ford Flex Forum

Usually delay's like that are for quality holds. It's usually a case where a supplier starts sending bad parts or sometimes a supplier goes bankrupt and the parts supply is interrupted. If it's something that can easily be bolted on later, the cars just get built anyway then sent off into a lot to be updated later. But often times the supplier will be so tight for capacity that they can only just barely keep up with the line, so even when the parts are good, it can take a long time to build the extra parts needed to fix the ones sitting out in the yard.

FWIW.

"Mercedes-Benz recall includes 284,000 cars with faulty taillights" Mercedes-Benz recall includes 284,000 cars with faulty taillights - CSMonitor.com

"BMW recalls 1.6 million cars on airbag concerns" BMW recalls 1.6 million cars on airbag concerns - Jul. 16, 2014

"Audi recalls 2013-2014 S6 and S7 models over fuel line leak" Audi recalls 2013-2014 S6 and S7 models over fuel line leak

Looks like even the best German vehicles can suck right up there with the best of em! :wink: :biggrin:

How is it that you haven't figured out that any man-made object, from MB to BMW to Tesla, to artificial hip, to computer program can fail?

From my experience, "German Engineering" is a long way from infallible. Years ago my wife had 2004-ish Audi A4. That was the biggest lemon we've ever owned. I doubt there was a month that went by without a visit to the shop. We got rid of it as the warranty expired, since we figured that maintaining it would cost more than a buying another non-Audi car. It took us many years to be willing to go back to a German car.

Very well said.