Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery at 11am today at Costa Mesa,

Walked in around 10:40AM. Had a Tesla cupcake :)

Was a pretty uneventful delivery. I showed the DS the new trick to open the charge port (by Holding down trunk button for 3-4 secs).

I got the Next Gen Seats in the front, and newer nappa in the rear.

In my trunk, the lid for the storage space doesn't sit flush, I'll have a chat to Service about that. It also doesn't have the Heated Steering Wheel (not too fussed).

It also didn't come with a Sirius XM Trial, For some reason I thought it would've.

The P85D is pretty amazing, though with my heavy foot I was averaging 585Wh/mi lol.

I'm charging to 100% so that I can make it to LA and back tonight without hitting a supercharger. My HPWC works fine at 40A, (on a 50A breaker)

Fit and finish definitely feels way tighter and nicer than P01966 and P09079 (my old P85s). The Screen (Instrument Cluster) is also really sharp and contrast seems higher.

I find the brightness really high on the main screen too, have turned it down to 25% for night mode.

Will be driving quite a lot tonight (Going to LA for NYE) so will report back in the next day or so. Yes, I was wearing a red shirt and shoes to match the car, mum a red hat. I thought the scarves on the seats (which my mum likes) were a nice touch.

2a627b935b908e1e01a154151f70d59d.jpg

2231351583fc25d2842df7a43f36d6f7.jpg

2345e2f85397597af478a340aa8043e4.jpg
7bb8b4c0731f53608a7f085fbe89d192.jpg

Last edited:
We picked up our P85D last night. Love the car...but I'm disappointed in two things. 1. The P85D has more wind noise than my new VW E-Golf. 2. The brakes are squeaking already. Will that go away as the car brakes in? I hate squeaky brakes. Other than that (and the poor range) the car is amazing! Got it tinted today and it looks even better!

Tell service. They'll fix the wind noise issue (I have almost none in my P85!). Have them look at the squeaking brakes as well.

Im still stuck in some logistical nightmare out of chicago. Mine finished production on 12/18 and is stuck in chicago in a rail yard awaiting a truck to bring it to columbus oh, Or so they think. I get very sad when i see even later orders/production finishes getting their vehicles. My first delivery date was 12/23 then 12/27, then 12/31 (today), and now I hear nothing. So looks like I'm in a shipping grey hole. Hey my tesla page still has late december shipping... but its January now! Who knows where my car is really? I dunno. Sad because I have signed all the papers for DMV, paid for it, paying insurance on it, have everything ready, but TM just can't seem to get my car to me. Im a P85D VIN 66083 going to Columbus, OH (then Cleveland). Maybe its a "let pick on Cleveland" thing? I have a feeling I'm not the only one, I know of at least one other OH P85D purchaser in the same crappy place. Isn't there some thing about leaving my car unplugged for 2 weeks straight in cold weather thats not good? This falls under the don't "over promise under deliver" category. There are a couple of things TM needs to learn from this.
1. They need a very specific, detailed production notification system. Easy to do.
2. They need better logistics. If things start to fail, KEEP people informed! don't run like rats on a sinking ship.
3. Let us track our car as it transits the delivery system.
4. Make amends when you under perform

Im still stuck in some logistical nightmare out of chicago. Mine finished production on 12/18 and is stuck in chicago in a rail yard awaiting a truck to bring it to columbus oh, Or so they think. I get very sad when i see even later orders/production finishes getting their vehicles. My first delivery date was 12/23 then 12/27, then 12/31 (today), and now I hear nothing. So looks like I'm in a shipping grey hole. Hey my tesla page still has late december shipping... but its January now! Who knows where my car is really? I dunno. Sad because I have signed all the papers for DMV, paid for it, paying insurance on it, have everything ready, but TM just can't seem to get my car to me. Im a P85D VIN 66083 going to Columbus, OH (then Cleveland). Maybe its a "let pick on Cleveland" thing? I have a feeling I'm not the only one, I know of at least one other OH P85D purchaser in the same crappy place. Isn't there some thing about leaving my car unplugged for 2 weeks straight in cold weather thats not good? This falls under the don't "over promise under deliver" category. There are a couple of things TM needs to learn from this.
1. They need a very specific, detailed production notification system. Easy to do.
2. They need better logistics. If things start to fail, KEEP people informed! don't run like rats on a sinking ship.
3. Let us track our car as it transits the delivery system.
4. Make amends when you under perform
My car finished production on 12/08 and is stuck in Chicago too. Waiting to take delivery in Toronto.
VIN way lower too 63016

Ha! The S8 was my dream car for years. Everything changed with my 15-minute test drive of a base MS85. I'm trying not to turn into an elitist d-bag snob about it, but I find myself sneering derisively at those ridiculous commercials for expensive ICEs with bows on top. Don't do it people! Don't get sucked in! There's a better way! I can already tell I'm going to be obnoxious at the New Years' Eve party tonight. But I know my friends will forgive me if i give them rides:cool:

but it's so tempting! :)

Hi All, I picked up my fully loaded White P85D(Vin 64008) yesterday. I am running out of superlatives to describe the feeling! Gorgeous Car! More than what I had expected except for the Next Gen seats. The delivery experience was smooth since I had paid one day prior using My Tesla. My DS Armen was great and the walkthrough was smooth thanks to Keith and Alex at Nashville.
I then started my 100 mile drive home to KY, with an initial range of 227miles at 80% charge. The car had 10 miles on it when I started. I did drive about 40 miles within Nashville before hitting the interstate assuming that I still had 177 mile range. I enjoyed every minute of the first 50 miles feeling like a race car driver! with smooth silent acceleration on the interstate driving on cruise at 71 miles/hr. Then reality kicked in!! My wife warned me that the range was dropping at an insane rate and for the first time I drove at 30-40 miles/hr on the interstate with AC off!! with ICE cars passing me wondering what I was doing!!!. Finally reached my home with 2-3 miles on the display with colors changing from green to orange to red to almost nothing!!! LESSON LEARNT!!! I was shocked at the range and can't wait for the software update!!! Now my Electron Thirsty Beauty is Charged and ready to go!! Haven't tested the Insane mode yet!!. Will post pictures later!

holy ****! talk about a first drive

... Then reality kicked in!! My wife warned me that the range was dropping at an insane rate and for the first time I drove at 30-40 miles/hr on the interstate with AC off!! with ICE cars passing me wondering what I was doing!!!. Finally reached my home with 2-3 miles on the display with colors changing from green to orange to red to almost nothing!!! LESSON LEARNT!!! I was shocked at the range and can't wait for the software update!!!...

Now I know what is about those scarfs - there are range extenders - since now everybody will be driving without heating to have better Wh/mi until update will come ;)

Opted out of the premium package for the same reason.

Since it seems we have twin cars I would be interested in images of the interior showing the "no -premium"-parts, the blakc alcantara and the new seats:) also some exterior photos showing the grey with the silver wheels would be nice. Most people seem to choose the grey wheels so not too many pictures out there of the new grey with silver 21"... Also cool to see the carbon yacht floor.

to be honest you cannot take too many pictures;)

Heyhey Darthy, Here you go. Note I tried to balance most of the exterior shots for same color/light, though I didn't realize how tricky this would be. Also the interior is black - one side, and the rear shot, look gray.. They're really not gray, though in direct sunlight look lighter. Let me know if this helps. Cheers, Mike
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

@MikeBur that post made my day:biggrin: looks fantastic and seems like you have opted out of the rear spoiler just as me as well. Seems to be identical cars!

thanks a lot! I will be looking at those pictures quite a lot in the coming weeks I'm afraid:redface:

Have to follow @darty001 on getting a bit excited by @MikeBur's post. I've been lurking around anonymously on this forum for some time now reading most of the posts related to P85D. My delivery is scheduled for March 2015 with almost the same specs as @MikeBur and @darty001, except mine has gray rims, light headliner and piano black decor. Glad to see that the non-premium interior actually looks very nice. And of course; happy New Year everyone :smile:

Now that is funny! :biggrin:

That blog post that Tesla finally put out should have ended with them offering free sets of long underwear with all P85D deliveries until the updated software gets released. The only caveat being that you have to return the garments (hopefully washed, especially if you do many 0-60 launches) when you get the software update. :tongue:

RT

PS: Concerning all the posts about whether the 2014 cars can be deducted on taxes in 2014 depending on where in the known universe they happen to be at any given point in time... RIP ! ! ! !

Hi techmaven, I believe the watts/mile on my first trip was 417! which is more than I had expected. It was cold outside 35-40 F and there were several ups and downs en route to KY. The second time around following charge (237 miles) I did get about 184 miles. I was more responsible this time. Thanks

We picked up our P85D last night. Love the car...but I'm disappointed in two things. 1. The P85D has more wind noise than my new VW E-Golf. 2. The brakes are squeaking already. Will that go away as the car brakes in? I hate squeaky brakes. Other than that (and the poor range) the car is amazing! Got it tinted today and it looks even better!

My brakes also started to squeak, is this normal for a period of time then it goes away? Roads have been dry since I picked it up...

Well, I decided to take the car. I had planned to wait and reorder but the Tesla post addressing the range changed my mind. My DS was amazing, as I called him at 8PM on the 30th and he made all the paperwork for BOTH cars happen the next day! No NexGen seats but I got an extra scarf, so each of my dogs could have one. Here's what I've noticed compared to my 85:

1. The red calipers and spoiler really set off the car nicely.
2. The wider rears project a very muscular stance when viewed from the back.
3. Any extra noise from the front motor is minimal, and with the radio on at normal volume not noticeable.
4. The smaller frunk is no big deal. The Tesla luggage I had there will go in my wife's car.
5. Single latch frunk closing with hands set properly isn't noticably different.
6. The AC works better! This was a surprise because my S was only 3 months old. Even without tinting (to be installed tomorrow) the system blew colder and cooled more efficiently. Important here in Miami!
7. The steering in sport mode is not as stiff as the sport setting in the 85S. It's still responsive and tight, just a little less so.
8. In my 100 miles of driving so far, mostly all expressway at 70-75 (it is Miami) I'm averaging 380 Wh; it was around 325 in the 85S.
9. The car is WAY quicker than the 85S. I haven't tried "insane mode" yet, but I was frankly surprised at the difference. Even driving at 75 you can sense the power reserve just lurking there. The slightest increase on the pedal and the car leaps to it.

Bottom line: if that range blog had been out 2 weeks ago a lot of consternation could have been avoided. Am I happy I traded in a 3 month old amazing car? Absolutely, and now have an even more amazing one!

All the the best to you all. Those already driving theirs know what I mean, those of you waiting are in for a treat!

Last edited: