Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I got a call from the delivery driver telling me he was 3 minutes from my place. I was expecting the car later in the week! So I said "Let's Do It" and it was dropped off at my house on a Sunday afternoon. No special delivery experience for me, but the car makes up for it. It is amazing. So far the only minor negative (which my wife pointed out) is the lack of interior (ambient?) lighting. Perhaps I should have gotten premium interior? No worries though. The Metallic Blue paint is freaking amazing. It looks BLACK in low lighting and DEEP DARK BLUE in the sunshine. I highly recommend this color. My sweet 3yr-old daughter was so excited for me that she hugged the car and said, "Daddy, your car is beautiful!" Here's a picture of her excitement:
Daughter Hugging Car.jpg

Yesterday I got a call from the delivery driver telling me he was 3 minutes from my place. I was expecting the car later in the week! So I said "Let's Do It" and it was dropped off at my house on a Sunday afternoon. No special delivery experience for me, but the car makes up for it. It is amazing. So far the only minor negative (which my wife pointed out) is the lack of interior (ambient?) lighting. Perhaps I should have gotten premium interior? No worries though. The Metallic Blue paint is freaking amazing. It looks BLACK in low lighting and DEEP DARK BLUE in the sunshine. I highly recommend this color. My sweet 3yr-old daughter was so excited for me that she hugged the car and said, "Daddy, your car is beautiful!" Here's a picture of her excitement:
View attachment 68181
That is so cute! Congrats!

View attachment 68181

Well done. This is my second time getting the blue. Had some regret when I picked it up Wednesday but it's growing on me again :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420478085.535821.jpg

That's awesome! Glad to see kids getting all excited over the future of cars! I ordered the Blue Metallic colour too (was considering black), and your comments just made me feel so much better about my choice.

Crap, you guys are giving me second thoughts on color. I ordered blue, but remembering how it is so dark and can prove difficult to keep clean, and how it is likely to show scratches more, etc., I'm almost emailing my DS and asking if it's too late to switch to Pearl White. My two top options were Pearl or Blue. I've never been so indecisive in my life with anything, this is crazy! I would think a color change wouldn't be out of the question for a February delivery, umm...

Crap, you guys are giving me second thoughts on color. I ordered blue, but remembering how it is so dark and can prove difficult to keep clean, and how it is likely to show scratches more, etc., I'm almost emailing my DS and asking if it's too late to switch to Pearl White. My two top options were Pearl or Blue. I've never been so indecisive in my life with anything, this is crazy! I would think a color change wouldn't be out of the question for a February delivery, umm...
I personally find the white more feminine and the blue more masculine... all of the colors are nice, though. Stick to your original decision.

Back in in the states. Took a 600 mile road trip and wanted to compare it to my previous numbers. I'm still curious whether that update did anything for range. I think it definitely helps by about 5-10%. Here were my numbers a few weeks ago BEFORE the update:

Here are my stats after 1000 miles on sport mode.

Normal day "around town" driving: 450 wh/mi.
Highway cruise control at 75: 440 wh/mi
highway cruise control at 65: 380 wh/mi
highway cruise at 60: 350 wh/mi
Highway cruise at 50: 340 wh/mi.

I just finished a 750 mile trip and averaged 400 wh/mi. That was a mix of all the highway scenarios above. By the end of the trip I was forced to pick charging stations just 120 miles away because 180 was cutting it way too close.

Alright so I just finished the same trip and averaged 380 wh/mi. Same roads, conditions... I might have been a bit more conservative this time around but in all circumstances, my numbers are much better:

highway cruise at 75: 410 wh/mi
highway cruise at 65: 360 wh/mi
highway cruise at 50: 335 wh/mi

So, improvements across the board at all speeds. One strange thing that I'm noticing, and I hope you guys could help me out, my trip meter wh/mi rates are different than what I'm getting on my center display energy tracker. So for example, I did a 140 mile stretch where according to my energy consumption tab, my average 30 mile rate never got above 350 wh/mi, and I was able to hold it at 330 for about half the trip. So, ballpark 340 wh/mi which I think is great.

However, both my "since last charge" avg energy numbers and my trip meter numbers both indicated I'm averaging ~370 wh/mi. I'm not sure how this is possible. Does my average 30 mile numbers not take into account other things such as heating the battery? (It's freezing here). Little bit confused on what range number I can actually rely on. Pictures to show what I'm talking about below:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back in in the states. Took a 600 mile road trip and wanted to compare it to my previous numbers. I'm still curious whether that update did anything for range. I think it definitely helps by about 5-10%.

I don't believe this update was supposed to do anything to improve range, and I don't believe anyone else has reported any change. Perhaps your improved numbers are due to your tires having been worn a bit this time, while they were pretty much brand new last time?

I don't believe this update was supposed to do anything to improve range, and I don't believe anyone else has reported any change. Perhaps your improved numbers are due to your tires having been worn a bit this time, while they were pretty much brand new last time?

Yeah I think you're right.. I'm not convinced there is a change. It's weird, the 30 mile average is much lower than the trip tracker. The trip tracker is actually pretty much in line with what I used to get before the update.

Very strange though - there was definitely a difference in the instantaneous and average wh/mi, but zero difference on the trip average. You would figure they would be the same.

So All in - I have a rated range mile number which is overstated by 50%... I have a 30 mi average number on my energy dashboard that looks slightly more in line but again seems to be overestimating range now. And then I have the trip wh/mi average... Which doesnt give me a mile range left. 0 for 3. Glad my road trips are over for a while. Best car ever for day to day... Horrible for trips (for now).

I have been lurking on this forum since my P85+ order in September, converted to a P85D 24 hours after the announcement... happy to report that my Switzerland-bound P85D VIN 67714 has just changed status to "in production".

Just crossing my fingers for the Tan Nex Gen seats and heated steering wheel :biggrin:

I have been lurking on this forum since my P85+ order in September, converted to a P85D 24 hours after the announcement... happy to report that my Switzerland-bound P85D VIN 67714 has just changed status to "in production".

Just crossing my fingers for the Tan Nex Gen seats and heated steering wheel :biggrin:
Cool! Good to see there will be Ds around the world!

Here's a glimpse of the tan next gen seats. I love them :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420561976.843021.jpg