Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
End of line doesn't mean what you think it means. It means you've reached the end of the queue waiting to begin production. The end of line date isn't even a specific date, it's the week that you'll begin production. So it could be the end of the week.

One thing I notice is that you're giving a Sunday for your end of line date and every end of line date I've ever gotten out of Tesla has been a Monday. So if they told you thought your car would end production and you are calling it an end of line date then your schedule may still be accurate. However, as I understand it the factory doesn't run on Sunday.

So the whole thing looks off to me. Sorry to be a downer.
I think there may be some DSs who don't understand the EOL designation and give erroneous advice as a result.

I originally ordered the 85D in October and upgraded to the P85D in January. I checked this morning and "My Tesla" finally shows "In Production-The Tesla Factory is building your Model S." Once the car goes into Production, how long before it's ready for pick-up at the Factory??

End of line doesn't mean what you think it means. It means you've reached the end of the queue waiting to begin production. The end of line date isn't even a specific date, it's the week that you'll begin production. So it could be the end of the week.

One thing I notice is that you're giving a Sunday for your end of line date and every end of line date I've ever gotten out of Tesla has been a Monday. So if they told you thought your car would end production and you are calling it an end of line date then your schedule may still be accurate. However, as I understand it the factory doesn't run on Sunday.

So the whole thing looks off to me. Sorry to be a downer.

No downer taken. As long as I get it by Feb 28th I'm good and if it's earlier even better. Gives me time to check out places to do my window tint, Xpel clear bra and Opti-coat.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I originally ordered the 85D in October and upgraded to the P85D in January. I checked this morning and "My Tesla" finally shows "In Production-The Tesla Factory is building your Model S." Once the car goes into Production, how long before it's ready for pick-up at the Factory??

Checking the spreadsheet it ranges from 3-5 days, but that was during the rush in December. Prior to your dashboard displaying (In Production, building your S) did it display (Order confirmed/In Production queue), just wondering what my next update will be.

Last edited:

5 days is the average, sometimes it's faster sometimes it's slower. Largely depends on how your car hits production breaks. As I understand it they only run the factory 6 days a week for 2 shifts.

If the valet had an accident with your vehicle, their insurance would respond as your vehicle was being driven "as a necessary part of the repair process".

Think of this scenario which happens every day in the real world...you take your vehicle to your mechanic to have your brakes looked at...you get told that the pads must be replaced...the mechanic does his work, then someone at the shop must test drive the vehicle to ensure the fitness of the work...if an accident occurs during the test drive (and it does happen), the mechanic's Garage Auto policy covers both the liability for third party property damage or bodily injury, and, if the mechanic purchased it, damage coverage for your car.

I am glad the DS is speaking to the valet though...the valet needs to show more respect for customer's vehicles.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I'm going to beat it just a little bit, because I think this is really important.

Do you know this for a fact, or are you just assuming?

Because again, I am not an attorney, and have no expertise in this in the US, and certainly not in Canada. But it seems to me there is a major distinction in a company having insurance and liability coverage that covers them working on a customer's car that is insured by the customer, where their coverage is supplemental to that coverage, and what was taking place here. There is no doubt in my mind that a) Tesla has coverage to cover cars Tesla owns before they deliver them to customers, and b) Tesla has coverage to cover a customer's car should something happen to it while under Tesla's care. But my concern is that the b) coverage may well be contingent upon the car being registered and insured by someone else, and if it isn't, no coverage may be in effect.

This was a bizarre situation.

I don't think Tesla's attorneys and insurance people try to write insurance policies to cover bizarre situations like this, nor should they. I think they probably count on their store personnel generally not getting them into situations like this, and I expect by and large they don't, and everything is usually just fine.

My point is that unless you know for a fact that Tesla carries some special kind of coverage that would cover them in this situation, I don't think you can just assume that the same kind of coverage that would cover your regular auto mechanic applies. It's not the same situation at all.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I'm going to beat it just a little bit, because I think this is really important.

Do you know this for a fact, or are you just assuming?

Because again, I am not an attorney, and have no expertise in this in the US, and certainly not in Canada. But it seems to me there is a major distinction in a company having insurance and liability coverage that covers them working on a customer's car that is insured by the customer, where their coverage is supplemental to that coverage, and what was taking place here. There is no doubt in my mind that a) Tesla has coverage to cover cars Tesla owns before they deliver them to customers, and b) Tesla has coverage to cover a customer's car should something happen to it while under Tesla's care. But my concern is that the b) coverage may well be contingent upon the car being registered and insured by someone else, and if it isn't, no coverage may be in effect.

This was a bizarre situation.

I don't think Tesla's attorneys and insurance people try to write insurance policies to cover bizarre situations like this, nor should they. I think they probably count on their store personnel generally not getting them into situations like this, and I expect by and large they don't, and everything is usually just fine.

My point is that unless you know for a fact that Tesla carries some special kind of coverage that would cover them in this situation, I don't think you can just assume that the same kind of coverage that would cover your regular auto mechanic applies. It's not the same situation at all.
On reflection, I realize that I did have my insurance proof uploaded to the myTesla documents. It says effective on January 28th though I think they were waiting for me to give them an exact date of when I would receive it. Either way, Tesla did have some evidence that it was insured. It definitely wasn't registered but I guess their "repairer plates" covered this.

My P85D went into production on 1/31 and on 2/2 my DS scheduled delivery at the factory for 2/11. He said that gave us several days buffer. As of 2/6 I was still in production but my DS remains confident in the 2/11 delivery. I will get an update tomorrow.

On reflection, I realize that I did have my insurance proof uploaded to the myTesla documents. It says effective on January 28th though I think they were waiting for me to give them an exact date of when I would receive it. Either way, Tesla did have some evidence that it was insured. It definitely wasn't registered but I guess their "repairer plates" covered this.

That definitely makes me feel better than to think they were driving around a completely uninsured, unregistered car. Glad to hear it!

Now I can say YAHOOO! I guess the information from the owner of my SC on "end of line" date of approx. Feb 15th was correct, just checked my dashboard this morning and it changed to "In Production, The Tesla Factory is building your Model S". I checked my prior posts and thought I had mentioned but didn't, that I had made a special request for late Feb delivery, a few calls were made by the owner and I was moved up to an available slot for Feb delivery (not sure if it was a cancellation by someone or it was just a tactic to get me to place the order, I would not have an order if it was a late March delivery which what was shown at the time).

My car P85D - P67112 (Czech republic) have expected delivery date 2nd week in March ... in Tilburg.

Was it produced yet? I see mostly empty cells in the tracking sheet? Your VIN is very close to mine.

- - - Updated - - -

February 21 is the earliest delivery in Norway I have heard about :)

My delivery is sadly moved to late march or April. Tesla had to give me a new VIN and build a new car because mine got damaged during production or transportation.

Bummer, very sorry to hear your car got damaged. Hope you'll get it soon. And since Tesla makes small improvements every week, the new one will be even better than the previous one. :smile:

Got a call and email from my DS one hour ago. Scheduled delivery February 24, can't wait :)
Still no info from my DS as I am only getting very vague responses from him:( So seeming less and less likely that my car has in fact been on the infamous two boats I've posted about here. Hope other people are more lucky!

Also happy for those that get firm dates here, but I am getting more and more frustrated myself with the total lack of info on my own car. Not a happy camper now:(