Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hum...

My #67685 P85D delivery to Paris, France, just moved from Late February (since Jan 12th) to Late March this morning, quite a massive push to a car "in transit from factory" for 3 weeks.
Maybe because they haven't managed to make a formal trade-in for my S85 ?

Anyway Adrien, our FR DS (super guy btw), is trying to figure out what happened, will update if anything comes up.

E.

From what I have read, European deliveries go by train to the east coast somewhere and then on ship to Europe. Cars to Asia would go out of west coast ports.
Tesla is now testing shipments from the west coast via the Panama-canal to Norway. My car was sadly one of the first taking part in this experiment it seems. So even if it was in transit way before others that arrived in Norway this and last week my car is now just getting close to the final destination Drammen in Norway.

From what I have read, European deliveries go by train to the east coast somewhere and then on ship to Europe. Cars to Asia would go out of west coast ports.
That would really surprise me. Just getting a pod across the U.S. by rail costs more than a ship from Long Beach to Rotterdam. Rail also requires greater insurance set aside (much higher likelihood of in-transit damage & crash). And then you have the costs of the transfer on the East coast and then TATL shipping costs. I'm sure some folks are doing it due to the longshoreman's strike but I can't imagine anyone doing it as a part of normal operations.

Hum...

My #67685 P85D delivery to Paris, France, just moved from Late February (since Jan 12th) to Late March this morning, quite a massive push to a car "in transit from factory" for 3 weeks.
Maybe because they haven't managed to make a formal trade-in for my S85 ?

Anyway Adrien, our FR DS (super guy btw), is trying to figure out what happened, will update if anything comes up.

E.

VIN 67673 P85D: on dashboard Late February, but was informed there was a delay because of the snow storms in New York a few weeks ago.
My date of delivery was confirmed a few days ago.
I'll be collecting my car March 12th.

That would really surprise me. Just getting a pod across the U.S. by rail costs more than a ship from Long Beach to Rotterdam. Rail also requires greater insurance set aside (much higher likelihood of in-transit damage & crash). And then you have the costs of the transfer on the East coast and then TATL shipping costs. I'm sure some folks are doing it due to the longshoreman's strike but I can't imagine anyone doing it as a part of normal operations.
I have heard straight from a UP employee that they use their service of using rail to reach the East Coast ports. Now, maybe that is changing as per darthy001's post and the reasons you cite, but until now that is definitely the way they have been doing it.

I have heard straight from a UP employee that they use their service of using rail to reach the East Coast ports. Now, maybe that is changing as per darthy001's post and the reasons you cite, but until now that is definitely the way they have been doing it.
Danny85's post would seem to confirm that (assuming he's taking delivery in Belgium). They must have gotten a phenomenal deal from UP to make that work.

Danny85's post would seem to confirm that (assuming he's taking delivery in Belgium). They must have gotten a phenomenal deal from UP to make that work.

Cars going through Tilburg (European assembly plant) are indeed first disassembled, put in containers, shipped to NY by rail, shipped to Rotterdam by boat and finally shipped to Tilburg by truck. To avoid European import taxes, our cars are shipped without battery and drivetrain. Those parts are shipped in separate containers.

Cars going through Tilburg (European assembly plant) are indeed first disassembled, put in containers, shipped to NY by rail, shipped to Rotterdam by boat and finally shipped to Tilburg by truck. To avoid European import taxes, our cars are shipped without battery and drivetrain. Those parts are shipped in separate containers.
Sounds likely, did you get that information from you DS, or just "general knowledge" :smile:

I'm quite sure I saw a P85D (Norwegian license plate EL 52553) earlier today just outside Oslo, registered on Tesla Motors Norway, Oslo.
As you have heard before, the first customer cars are delivered here in Norway tomorrow, I am scheduled for Tuesday. Counting down hours ...

Sounds likely, did you get that information from you DS, or just "general knowledge" :smile:

I'm quite sure I saw a P85D (Norwegian license plate EL 52553) earlier today just outside Oslo, registered on Tesla Motors Norway, Oslo.
As you have heard before, the first customer cars are delivered here in Norway tomorrow, I am scheduled for Tuesday. Counting down hours ...

Many moons ago the shipping process was indeed explained to me by a DS. For Norway there's no need to disassemble and reassemble the cars so transport is a little bit faster. I'm really looking forward to your review next week! Although my car should be delivered in the first halve of March, I'm still waiting for an appointment.

Many moons ago the shipping process was indeed explained to me by a DS. For Norway there's no need to disassemble and reassemble the cars so transport is a little bit faster. I'm really looking forward to your review next week! Although my car should be delivered in the first halve of March, I'm still waiting for an appointment.

I assume this "For Norway there's no need to dissamble (...)" has to do with Norway not being part of EU (European Union) and having its own currency -not Euro-?
Sorry for the technicality to our North American friends but this is like Alaska or Hawaii not being part of US federal laws.

So Norvegian Tesla's would get delivered through a different path than the rest of EU -via the Netherlands factory in Tilburg-, and maybe shipped as complete from US ?

E.

Last edited:
I assume this "For Norway there's no need to dissamble (...)" has to do with Norway not being part of EU ?
Sorry for the technicality for our North American friends but this is like Alaska or Hawaii not being part of US federal laws.

So Norvegian Tesla's would get delivered through a different path than the rest of EU via the Netherlands factory in Tilburg, and maybe shipped as complete from US ?

E.
Yes, the norwegian cars are shipped fully assembled.

I assume this "For Norway there's no need to dissamble (...)" has to do with Norway not being part of EU (European Union) and having its own currency -not Euro-?
Sorry for the technicality to our North American friends but this is like Alaska or Hawaii not being part of US federal laws.

So Norvegian Tesla's would get delivered through a different path than the rest of EU -via the Netherlands factory in Tilburg-, and maybe shipped as complete from US ?

E.

It's an import duty issue. There's a significant tax difference when you import a fully assembled car or just "parts" in the EU. I assume that, as volume to the EU grows, Tesla will start building cars in Tilburg. Maybe not from scratch as in Fremont but if they can do more work that is paid in EUR currency, the FX difference between USD and EUR will become less of an issue. For the next couple of years it is expected that the USD will continue to get stronger vs the EUR. When Tesla needs to continue increasing the price of Tesla's in the EU, this will negatively impact sales. They need to find a way to fix this without it impacting their high margin.

Nice, how long ago did you get your VIN? I will be interesting to see how long it is until yours is delivered. Anyone know how many cars Tesla is producing a week right now? I read somewhere it might be around 1000.

Went into production today as well, 74163
HPWC also arrived today by FedEx
and not least my vanity plate TESLA D arrived same day by Purolator - a great Trifecta, :smile: just need a car now