Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It more suggests that these updates are NOT made in real time. I find it somewhat unrealistic that Tesla is able to manufacture and paint and assemble a P85D in three days.

My car went from production to complete in 4 days (3/2 - 3/5). To build 1,000 cars per week they may actually be building cars in 3 - 4 days. Also the idea of what it means to build a car to order may be different due to manufacturing optimizations. Quite possibly there is more prep work that goes into building the car so the part we see of production to complete is a lot less work than before.

My car went from production to complete in 4 days (3/2 - 3/5). To build 1,000 cars per week they may actually be building cars in 3 - 4 days. Also the idea of what it means to build a car to order may be different due to manufacturing optimizations. Quite possibly there is more prep work that goes into building the car so the part we see of production to complete is a lot less work than before.
I obviously don't have any additional info - I just watched things here and grilled my DES a bit about the process... for your reference, my car took 8 work days (the factory is working Mon-Sat) to build. From what I've learned the paint / rest&cure cycle alone was 4 days. So assume that this takes less time if it isn't multi coat red and that you could get lucky and a Sunday falls into this window, that still leaves 2 days to make the parts, two days for paint / rest&cure, two days for final assembly. Anything less than six days seems... surprising.

Well ElectricTundra and I are real close now. My car (and presumably his as well) is off the truck and at the service center. I'm looking at delivery mid-week next week. Pretty darn nifty and a long road. So I celebrated by resorting the spread sheet after I updated my info. Anybody interested in picking up the "spreadsheet maintenance" job? I'll probably drift away from this thread now that the car is here. Or we could just declare the spreadsheet an antique and stop updating it. Any thoughts/opinions?

Beast of a schedule the next few weeks so hoping to pick mine up on the 17th. Much better than my feared sometime in April. Say hello if you see her (red, black, matte obeche) and hope you really enjoy yours.
Nathan's taking pictures of mine this afternoon before losing the sun. You too?

- - - Updated - - -

first view of the tesla.jpg

Here's the picture of mine (blue, in the middle of two much-more-practical white ones). I wonder if that's ElectricTundra's red one peeking over the roof?

I obviously don't have any additional info - I just watched things here and grilled my DES a bit about the process... for your reference, my car took 8 work days (the factory is working Mon-Sat) to build. From what I've learned the paint / rest&cure cycle alone was 4 days. So assume that this takes less time if it isn't multi coat red and that you could get lucky and a Sunday falls into this window, that still leaves 2 days to make the parts, two days for paint / rest&cure, two days for final assembly. Anything less than six days seems... surprising.
I don't know how long your S60 took but my first car was about 5 days (think one day was a Sunday) and when I used to follow the spreadsheet for Q1 2014, most of the cars were around 4 days. Even my P85D (the first one) started on November 21 (a Friday) and finished on 26th. Admittedly it went back into production but obviously that wasn't supposed to be the norm. Cars now taking up to 10 days is not the norm but lately it seems like they are manually changing Started/Completed status where in the past that part of the process seemed to be automated. There are now stories of people waiting for completed status and then being told their car is already en route. Things are pretty chaotic now but I would assume that if things get back to normal, a 4 day process should be the norm.

I cleaned it up a bit last night. But yeah, I think it's probably time to call it.
Yep, you cleaned it up and deleted my entry :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how long your S60 took but my first car was about 5 days (think one day was a Sunday) and when I used to follow the spreadsheet for Q1 2014, most of the cars were around 4 days. Even my P85D (the first one) started on November 21 (a Friday) and finished on 26th. Admittedly it went back into production but obviously that wasn't supposed to be the norm. Cars now taking up to 10 days is not the norm but lately it seems like they are manually changing Started/Completed status where in the past that part of the process seemed to be automated. There are now stories of people waiting for completed status and then being told their car is already en route. Things are pretty chaotic now but I would assume that if things get back to normal, a 4 day process should be the norm.
No, I was talking about my P85D - which I will pick up in a few minutes. My S60 was a car that I bought straight off the show room floor. No idea how long that took. My signature gives you the dates for the P85D

After about 500 page refreshes; my status changed today to; "In Production - The Tesla Factory is building your Model S".

Confirmed February 14th (Actually I made my wife press the button - now she claims she bought me a Tesla for Valentines day and I didn't get her anything!).
P85D Vin:77281 Blue/Black, Carbon Fiber Décor, All options except; dual charger, rear spoiler, executive seats and premium interior (hope I don't regret not getting the premium interior).

The wait is killing me but I think it's adding to my enthusiasm for this car. By chance; I'll be in San Jose next week and have a factory tour lined up for Thursday. The car will likely still be in production while I'm touring the facility (pretty cool).

Yep, you cleaned it up and deleted my entry :)

- - - Updated - - -

No, I was talking about my P85D - which I will pick up in a few minutes. My S60 was a car that I bought straight off the show room floor. No idea how long that took. My signature gives you the dates for the P85D
I knew that you meant your P85D (congrats!). I was pointing out that historically building a model S only takes 4 days and I assumed that your 60 would have taken the same didn't realize you bought it already built.

After about 500 page refreshes; my status changed today to; "In Production - The Tesla Factory is building your Model S".

Confirmed February 14th (Actually I made my wife press the button - now she claims she bought me a Tesla for Valentines day and I didn't get her anything!).
P85D Vin:77281 Blue/Black, Carbon Fiber Décor, All options except; dual charger, rear spoiler, executive seats and premium interior (hope I don't regret not getting the premium interior).

The wait is killing me but I think it's adding to my enthusiasm for this car. By chance; I'll be in San Jose next week and have a factory tour lined up for Thursday. The car will likely still be in production while I'm touring the facility (pretty cool).

Justinn, you confirmed on 2/14 but when did you order? I ordered on 14th and confirmed on 15th and not in production yet.

Thanks.

I ordered MC Red so paint color is not the reason my car took only 4 days in production. Could be possible that they pre-paint all of the individual car parts before assembly. Or the 'production' process we see on the website is just the paint and cure steps. Another theory which is more likely, maybe the website is just wrong and the cars are going into production several days before it us indicated on the website.

update - production complete

On Friday 3/6, web site status changed to "Production Complete", which means building a P85D currently takes only 3 days. Site also says "Your Model S is in transit from the factory". Expect to hear from DS on Monday since Friday was a snow day in DC area.

My P85D went into production today, March 3rd 2015, 1 day short of 5 weeks from ordering.
For some reason, I can't update the Google Docs spreadsheet entry that I created around order time, so I am posting this information so that others can see the current timing for P85D orders.

Ordered: 1/28/2015
Confirmed: 1/28/2015
Re-Confirmed: n/a
Estimated delivery: Late March
Entered Production:3/3/2015
Estimated Delivery Date:3/25/2015
Scheduled delivery date: -
Actual delivery date: -
Delivery location: Rockville, MD
Color: White
Wheels: 19" base
Interior: Gray, Piano Black, black Alcantara headliner