Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D Next Generation Seats Delivery Thread

P85D Next Gen Seat Retrofits

• Keep what I got - Non Next Gen Front + Rear - I want the $2k credit

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Keep what I got - Next Gen Front + Non Next Gen Rear

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front + Rear

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front - Keep Non Next Gen Rears

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In theory, if your bolsters are actually softer than those in the other P85D, your seats should also fold flatter. That was the stated reason for putting softer material in the bolsters.

FWIW, the rear next-gen seats I saw in the P85D my local SC had on display were folding in such a way that the bolsters of the seat-back were NOT touching the bolsters of the seat-bottom (I also posted about this here) so I'm not sure having softer bolsters is useful for helping the seats fold further down:

IMG_6429.jpg

FWIW, the rear next-gen seats I saw in the P85D my local SC had on display were folding in such a way that the bolsters of the seat-back were NOT touching the bolsters of the seat-bottom (I also posted about this here) so I'm not sure having softer bolsters is useful for helping the seats fold further down:

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm not sure then, why Tesla really switched to a softer material, assuming they really did.

This was the post I was referencing:

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours - Page 21

I learned something else tonight. Tesla made a design change to the cushioning material in the bolsters. They now use a softer foam in the area where the top and bottom of the next gen seat bolsters meet so that the folding flat issue is no longer an issue. I think most people will be very happy about this improvement and the subsequent return of the next gen seats in the back. Thank you Tesla!

What was the process like? How long did it take? Did you stay and watch? If so, do you have any thoughts on what some people had been saying early on, about this process being one that could easily ding or scratch the car when done at a service center instead of in Fremont when the car is being built? (I have no first-hand knowledge of this--I'm just repeating what some people suggested as a possibility, and wondering what your thoughts on that might be now that you may have seen the process.)

I had a ranger out recently.. not to switch to NG seats (not yet anyway), but they did take my rear bench out to check something.
rearseatremoved.jpg

I spoke with him about the 'next visit' to change the NG seats... he indicated it would not be an issue to do it in my garage. It took him only a few minutes to remove the rear bottom seat (and to put in back in, it is just clipped in). He mentioned the backrests were a bit more involved, as were the front seats, but nothing he was concerned with doing it solo and in a garage.

He was very careful not to scratch/mark anything. He put a tarp down at one point (unrelated, he also took my frunk out to check something else, and set the frunk on the tarp...yay for more easily accessible 12V battery). Afterwards, he did a good clean up of any dirt marks he left. All in all, I am pretty happy, and comfortable in whatever work they may have to do in my garage. The only issue I suppose is temperature, my garage is not heated, so on a typical winter day, it will not be fun for them to work.

And it was 'exciting' to see the Tesla Van!

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm not sure then, why Tesla really switched to a softer material, assuming they really did.

This was the post I was referencing:

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours - Page 21

Based on what jpet said:

I learned something else tonight. Tesla made a design change to the cushioning material in the bolsters. They now use a softer foam in the area where the top and bottom of the next gen seat bolsters meet so that the folding flat issue is no longer an issue. I think most people will be very happy about this improvement and the subsequent return of the next gen seats in the back. Thank you Tesla!

Tesla is saying that they softened the bolsters to accommodate flat folding. But I'm not sure if this is true, since my picture above showed that folding next-gen seats flat is not being hampered by the bolsters at all.

Could it be that they softened the bolsters, at least the seat-bottom ones, to accommodate "larger" framed bodies based on some complaints they might have received about the middle person getting a narrow and uncomfortable seating position?

Woot! I just go a vin number! 5YJSA1H29FFP78258 I can't wait! April Deliver to Vegas Then I plan to drive it back to Wyoming.

85 kWh Model S
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive
Black Solid Paint
Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels
Black Textile Seats
Piano Black Décor
Dual Chargers
Wall Connector
Tech Package with Autopilot
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package
Rear Facing Seats

Woot! I just go a vin number! 5YJSA1H29FFP78258 I can't wait! April Deliver to Vegas Then I plan to drive it back to Wyoming.

85 kWh Model S
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive
Black Solid Paint
Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels
Black Textile Seats
Piano Black Décor
Dual Chargers
Wall Connector
Tech Package with Autopilot
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package
Rear Facing Seats

Think you posted this in the wrong thread. Probably meant the non-seat thread.

Based on what jpet said:

Tesla is saying that they softened the bolsters to accommodate flat folding. But I'm not sure if this is true, since my picture above showed that folding next-gen seats flat is not being hampered by the bolsters at all.

Could it be that they softened the bolsters, at least the seat-bottom ones, to accommodate "larger" framed bodies based on some complaints they might have received about the middle person getting a narrow and uncomfortable seating position?
@Footbag, this was the same guy/van that was at my home the day before. Very nice tech and yes a cool Nissan Tesla van.

Just received the following email from Mr. Guillen regarding the next generation seats:

Dear Benjamin,

I want to provide you with an update on the next generation seats we are yet to install in your Model S. I apologize for the delay in providing the seats. I trust you are enjoying your P85D in the meantime.

In short, it is taking much longer than expected and we plan on installing the seats in your car by the end of May at the latest, although hopefully earlier than this.

We were overwhelmed by the high demand for P85D in general, and specifically for the next gen seats. As a result, we’ve had to ramp up our production capacity dramatically. Unfortunately, due to an ongoing labor conflict at the west coast ports, we have disruptions in getting inbound critical material to build the next gen seats. The lead times from many of our suppliers have doubled due to the port situation and that have prevented us from both giving you an accurate lead time to change, and allowing us to start building your new seat. We now have line of sight and we are planning to have built and replaced your seat by end of May at the latest (unless we have a complete shutdown of the ports which remains, unfortunately, a possibility).

Thank you for your continued support and your patience.

Best regards,
jerome_signature_small.jpg

Jerome Guillen
VP, WW Sales and Service

Just received the following email from Mr. Guillen regarding the next generation seats:

I just received the same email. I thought it was because I wrote last week asking for an update but maybe it's just a general email to everyone waiting.

I'm pretty let down with the response. That possibly six months of no next-gen seats but still paying for them in my lease payments.

I just received the same email. I thought it was because I wrote last week asking for an update but maybe it's just a general email to everyone waiting.

I'm pretty let down with the response. That possibly six months of no next-gen seats but still paying for them in my lease payments.

Amen!!! I replied back to Jerome... curious to see if he will reply. I too am frustrated with the fact that I am essentially paying higher rent (lease payment) every month for a feature I don't even have. Yes it comes out to be only 30-40 bucks a month, small amount compared to the whole payment but the whole thing is just starting to leave a really bad taste in my mouth.

They have no problem sourcing seats for all the new deliveries but for those they have sold the constrain is too much?

At delivery I was very hesitant to accept delivery for this reason and yet they were so adamant that the delay would be no later then January and I should take delivery and enjoy the car for a month with non NextGen seats.

If this was a purchase I don't think I would mind as much. As it is now I am looking at 1/6 my lease term without a feature I am paying for... what happens if it approaches the 1/3 mark on my lease?

Okay I am done ranting... just frustrated.

My sentiments are as follows:

1) Somewhat annoyed at the length of time I will be without the Next Generation seats.
2) Somewhat pleased that at least Tesla is making an effort to communicate about the situation. (Perhaps they are learning.)
3) Somewhat disappointed that a mass email of such importance, clearly with involvement from staff other than just Jerome, could be sent with typos, grammatical errors, and writing that was not clear at all. I've got to think Jerome expected someone to proof and possibly even clean up his first draft, and instead someone just hit "send" on the thing. Tesla can do better.

Be sure to copy and paste the email address. If you just hit "Reply" then it doesn't even get addressed to Jerome.

Yep noticed that. I did put Jerome's address in the To: line as well :)

- - - Updated - - -

3) Somewhat disappointed that a mass email of such importance, clearly with involvement from staff other than just Jerome, could be sent with typos, grammatical errors, and writing that was not clear at all. I've got to think Jerome expected someone to proof and possibly even clean up his first draft, and instead someone just hit "send" on the thing. Tesla can do better.

Your English must be much better than mine because I did not spot any grammatical errors, let alone typos... Can you please enlighten me as to where such errors are?

Your English must be much better than mine because I did not spot any grammatical errors, let alone typos... Can you please enlighten me as to where such errors are?

Same here - I thought it was a well written message. I went back and re-read and spotted a "this" instead of a "that" and a "have" instead of a "has". I guess my standards are lower than Andy's. :wink: But don't forget that English is a second language for Jerome:

Jerome Guillen has a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from ENSTA (Paris) in 1993

Without accepting your premise that my English is better than yours, below are the issues I had with the e-mail, in the order they occurred. Some are minor, stylistic things, and some are more significant. I'll list them all, with explanations.

"In short, it is taking much longer than expected and we plan on installing the seats in your car by the end of May at the latest, although hopefully earlier than this. "

hopefully is not used correctly. It should have been written something like "although we hope it will be earlier than this." (This was a really minor issue. I wouldn't have criticized the e-mail message if this had been the only issue.)

"We were overwhelmed by the high demand for P85D in general, and specifically for the next gen seats."

I think this should read "for the P85D" or "for P85Ds" or something else. Again, this is not one of the larger issues.

"The lead times from many of our suppliers have doubled due to the port situation and that have prevented us from both giving you an accurate lead time to change, and allowing us to start building your new seat."

OK, here we go. For starters it definitely needs to be "that has prevented us..." not "that have prevented us..." And what does "giving you an accurate lead time to change" mean? Also in this sentence, no one is getting just one seat. Everyone is getting either two front seats, or three back seats, or both. The last word in the sentence should be "seats."

"We now have line of sight and we are planning to have built and replaced your seat by end of May at the latest (unless we have a complete shutdown of the ports which remains, unfortunately, a possibility)."

Line of sight? That's not a common term the way it's being used, and while I guess the intended meaning can be figured out from the context, it's a poor choice of words. The second "we" in that sentence is unnecessary and awkward. Built and replaced is also an awkward way to say that. The seat can't be replaced without being built first. And again, seat should be seats. Also it should be "by the end of May..." not "by end of May..." The period in that sentence should be inside the close parentheses symbol.

I would never critique a personal e-mail from Jerome this way. But Jerome has a staff. An e-mail like this one had to have staff involved. I could be wrong, but I believe English is not Jerome's first language. (I would never be able to tell that from reading any of the e-mail messages I've received from him personally.) So I don't fault Jerome for this at all. Before this e-mail was sent, someone from the communications department should have taken a look at it and edited it. And if someone from the communications department was not available to do it, then someone on Jerome's staff should have. I'll state again that I have to believe this was some sort of mistake that slipped out without being proofread. I don't recall seeing any other communications with these kinds of errors from Tesla.

Last edited: