Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short interest on March 15 was 32,2 Million

Yes, great data point showing that part of the run-up from the 170s to 200+ was covering by a net 2mm shorts.

A lot has changed in the past couple weeks as we likely had some more net short covering to get to 230s and then some new shorts enter in the past few days. Therefore I will be very interested to see the next short report as well... I'm hoping it will be around the same at 32mm share shorted and will be ecstatic if it went back up to 34mm+

Also this data point I think shows that this MarkIt source people quote on here and even in some news articles occasionally is inaccurate at best for TSLA shares and should not be counted on as a reliable
indicator.

Yes, looking forward to it. It is very important to note that those short interest figures will be as of end of trading Monday March 28th (3 business days prior to March 31st)

Are you sure?
What do the first two columns of the schedule refer to?
image.jpeg

Yes I am sure...if someone shorts the stock for example today, their PnL will change based on the price starting now but they will not start paying the 'hard-to-borrow' cost to short the stock until after the stock has 'settled' int heir account 3 business days later

Good question
The "Due Date" column is the date that all of the brokers are required to have their their total clients' short position stat of each stock into NASDAQ so that NASDAQ would then have the time between this "Due Date" and "Dissemination Date" to put together all of the brokers' stats for the publication/dissemination.

• Informative
Reactions: Johan
First and formost I have no relationship with MarkIt. I just happen to have access to it. This is what MarkIt says about it's sources:

"
Markit Securities Finance is the leading global provider of securities financing data and daily long and short institutional fund flow insight.

Based in New York, London and Hong Kong, the company's predictive analytics help clients identify investment opportunities and manage risk by analyzing fund flow, stock loan availability, short interest and stock lending volume.

Established in 2002, Markit Securities Finance's unique content set of more than three million daily transactions is sourced directly from contributing customers across securities financing, including Investment Banks, Prime Brokers, Lending Agents, Beneficial Owners and Hedge Funds.
"

So there *might* be some sauce on top of the raw data to normalize it with exchange data. But it is in fact based on some real data. Not just fictional imagination.

Genuine questions:

- How do you *know* markIt is wrong? Have you cross checked markit against exchange data?

- How you *know* a squeeze is happening, other than gut instinct? do you have any data to back it up?

Separately, I am not sure why you are getting so worked up about this. Why does it matter? it's better with a rally if they aren't squeezed yet, no? That would mean an even bigger up run. So we should be happier (on the long side). So why sweat?

I know MarkIt is wrong because I have cross checked it, yes. And I have spoken to some industry experts on stock lending who also have told me how they believe MarkIt works, they gather some data points (incomplete data points as it is just from a select few brokers for example) and then combine that with their own proprietary algos on trading volumes, price movement, etc. and come up with their stat.

I don't KNOW a squeeze is happening, I only KNOW a squeeze HAS HAPPENED once the Nasdaq data comes out. And I define "short squeeze" as some amount of net shorts covering while the share price has appreciated.

My gut instinct says that this has been happening slowly for the past several weeks and 70-80 points minus a small pockets of time in between where net shorts increase temporarily from a ridiculous Andrew Left research note or some other no name short research report. However, I am curious to what the net short position decrease has been over the past 4-5 weeks so I can better gage how much further we could potentially run up.

I feel what we have seen is shorts covering and new shorts replacing them at the higher SP.

For me the best up-to-date datapoint to guess the trend is the updates some posters give here on the interest rates to loan the shares.
I hope we will see some of those updates covering the past 2 weeks. (I have no access to such information myself)

I know MarkIt is wrong because I have cross checked it, yes. And I have spoken to some industry experts on stock lending who also have told me how they believe MarkIt works, they gather some data points (incomplete data points as it is just from a select few brokers for example) and then combine that with their own proprietary algos on trading volumes, price movement, etc. and come up with their stat.

I don't KNOW a squeeze is happening, I only KNOW a squeeze HAS HAPPENED once the Nasdaq data comes out. And I define "short squeeze" as some amount of net shorts covering while the share price has appreciated.

My gut instinct says that this has been happening slowly for the past several weeks and 70-80 points minus a small pockets of time in between where net shorts increase temporarily from a ridiculous Andrew Left research note or some other no name short research report. However, I am curious to what the net short position decrease has been over the past 4-5 weeks so I can better gage how much further we could potentially run up.

Here is more proof to what I was saying:

Tesla Motors: Short Sellers, Keep on Shorting?

Here is more proof to what I was saying:

Tesla Motors: Short Sellers, Keep on Shorting?

We will have to wait and see until the NASDAQ numbers come out, that is the ONLY factual proof.

Your comment above should be "here is more speculation to what i was saying", proof will be in the pudding of the facts.

I would be happy to be wrong, as I would love nothing more than for the short interest to remain as high as possible while the stock runs up but until the facts are shown, we don't know, we can only speculate.

My point with you is that when people are speculating that this could be a short squeeze, please don't strongly dismiss their speculation as erroneous with the "MarkIt" or "S3 Partners" speculative proprietary data as if they are factual/conclusive data points on this not being a short squeeze. It could very well be a short squeeze occurring or could very well not be...

Let's all just agree that we will only know the truth when the NASDAQ short interest figures get published retrospectively and that everything else we suggest without that NASDAQ data is really just speculation (some from paid sources like "MarkIt" and "S3" who claim to have better real-time indications but can't guarantee it in any way, especially in trading anomaly situations like an actual 'short squeeze').

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden and SBenson
We will have to wait and see until the NASDAQ numbers come out, that is the ONLY factual proof.

Your comment above should be "here is more speculation to what i was saying", proof will be in the pudding of the facts.

I would be happy to be wrong, as I would love nothing more than for the short interest to remain as high as possible while the stock runs up but until the facts are shown, we don't know, we can only speculate.

My point with you is that when people are speculating that this could be a short squeeze, please don't strongly dismiss their speculation as erroneous with the "MarkIt" or "S3 Partners" speculative proprietary data as if they are factual/conclusive data points on this not being a short squeeze. It could very well be a short squeeze occurring or could very well not be...

Let's all just agree that we will only know the truth when the NASDAQ short interest figures get published retrospectively and that everything else we suggest without that NASDAQ data is really just speculation (some from paid sources like "MarkIt" and "S3" who claim to have better real-time indications but can't guarantee it in any way, especially in trading anomaly situations like an actual 'short squeeze').

You missed the point completely and are arguing for the sake of arguing.

What's the point of knowing 3 week old information??

The exercise here is to find out what's going on with reasonable accuracy, if not perfect accuracy, so we know what to do.

When May 2013 squeeze happened, the short-interest went down in tandem with the spike. And the end of SI downturn was a great indicator of a top and thus an exit for the bulls. All based on markit data. Speculation based on some amount of data is vastly better than speculation based on no data and "gut feeling".

People incorrectly associating every move up, with a short interest decrease based on "gut feel" is plain wrong and dumb. Waiting for exchange data is pointless as the ship has sailed long past. So my advise to people who don't access to any data is to not speculate through "gut feeling".

Most importantly the point of my post was to show how shorts actually work. They don't exit on merely stock going up. They exit (or forced to exit) when price spikes dramatically. There is a big difference between these two. And it is worth learning that.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden and TSLAopt
I feel what we have seen is shorts covering and new shorts replacing them at the higher SP.

For me the best up-to-date datapoint to guess the trend is the updates some posters give here on the interest rates to loan the shares.
I hope we will see some of those updates covering the past 2 weeks. (I have no access to such information myself)

3% at Schwab, no change since at least 3/31.

• Informative
Reactions: Gerardf
You missed the point completely and are arguing for the sake of arguing.

What's the point of knowing 3 week old information??

The exercise here is to find out what's going on with reasonable accuracy, if not perfect accuracy, so we know what to do.

When May 2013 squeeze happened, the short-interest went down in tandem with the spike. And the end of SI downturn was a great indicator of a top and thus an exit for the bulls. All based on markit data. Speculation based on some amount of data is vastly better than speculation based on no data and "gut feeling".

People incorrectly associating every move up, with a short interest decrease based on "gut feel" is plain wrong and dumb. Waiting for exchange data is pointless as the ship has sailed long past. So my advise to people who don't access to any data is to not speculate through "gut feeling".

Most importantly the point of my post was to show how shorts actually work. They don't exit on merely stock going up. They exit (or forced to exit) when price spikes dramatically. There is a big difference between these two. And it is worth learning that.

My only response is to read my last post again and we can continue to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
You may have the last word if you'd like

I found out that these interest rates are adjusted "by hand" by particular people, so they are going to have a certain amount of lag time. If shares become hard to borrow, expect a week's delay before the interest rates go up to attract more lenders.

• Informative
Reactions: Gerardf