Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lend TSLA: 1.50%
Lend SCTY: 15.00%

Thought that all the shorts would have covered on SCTY with the recent fall, but it appears that they did the opposite. Or maybe there is some non-obvious factor at play.

I think there is another non-obvious factor at play, some posts suggested that even though SCTY had high rates, the posters themselves could no longer lend those shares. So for SCTY there was a rate squeeze but not a share availability (short squeeze). Quite different to Tesla early 2013. Similar to how SCTY unsecured bonds have a very high rate on them.

Its a little like Greece, debt is not a problem, until it is a problem.

the entities lending out the short shares seem to think the shorters had a debt problem, and jacked up rates to match. remember Shorters borrow shares.

Someone collected a lot of money, and it wasn't those long or short.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rarity
aaaand...I'm out too. Last statement showed 0 shares of TSLA loaned out at 0.0%.

SCTY still at 20%

In addition to earning the interest, I sort of liked it when the rates were high because it meant that ammunition for the shorts was very, very expensive...

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Have there been any recent changes to SEC margin requirements to short certain hard to borrow stocks?

What would cause this type of discontinuity?

May be conviction is in short supply among the short sellers, and they do not dare to add to their positions, so demand to borrow TSLA to sell short plunged down?

Next stage will come when they will feel compelled to cover...

Reactions: Gerardf
Can anybody point me to a good source of historical data on the size of the float or outstanding shares? I have shares held short, but am missing a lot of data for either the total shares (outstanding/float) or the percent held short.

nBiHFgF.png

GuruFocus has about 6mo of data here, but I fell behind and missed about 6mo (Aug 2015 - Dec 2015). I think I got some other data from Ycharts, but I had to sign up for a trial.

Last edited: