Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in model 3 sr+ for model 3 lr awd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve driven close to 4 hours at 65-70 mph, where there were no chargers. The LR is the only option to do that.

Where was this? That would be a 280 mile stretch with no charger.

For kicks I just planned a route from Portland to NYC using Better Route Planner and it was covered the entire way by Superchargers...

Portland to NYC = 2974 miles:

SR+ = 26 charging stops
LR = 21 charging stops

I'll save the $10K as I do not need AWD..

Last edited:
Reactions: SaddleSC

For kicks I just planned a route from Portland to NYC using Better Route Planner and it was covered the entire way by Superchargers...

SR+ = 26 charging stops
LR = 21 charging stops

Chart San Antonio to Cisco Tx

Sure there is another was to do it, but not the direct route. Thus it’s more than just stopping for additional charge. It would require an additional charge and a complete reroute

SR+ = 26 charging stops
LR = 21 charging stops

Also, if you go back to my original post, I wasn’t arguing for the AWD...my point was about my LR RWD.

SR+ = 26 charging stops
LR = 21 charging stops

So I just calculated this route on a ABRP. I had 20 charges and 52hrs total. I would bet your trip time is significantly more.

I don’t think that’s the best comparison though. Again, driving on interstates are easy. Tesla has ensured that. It’s the off interstate legs that are the real challenges. So much so, I would spend another 2-3k if I could get another 40-50miles Range.

Chart San Antonio to Cisco Tx

Okie dokie... Here is the route you mention in a SR+.. What route would you take that's different?

Your previous claim was there were no chargers.. You said:

Also, I’ve done several trips where the SR+ wouldn’t have been able to do it...without driving significantly slower or stoping at an RV park.

I’ve driven close to 4 hours at 65-70 mph, where there were no chargers. The LR is the only option to do that.

Here is the route you asked for.. San Antonio to Cisco

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 7.18.19 AM.png

You make my point perfectly. Not only do you have to charge, but you have to go through Austin. ABRP doesn’t take into account Austin traffic. You will add 30-45 min in traffic.View attachment 426657

I made your point? You point was that there we NO chargers... Your point is FALSE!

Lets look at your point again>

Also, I’ve done several trips where the SR+ wouldn’t have been able to do it...without driving significantly slower or stoping at an RV park.

You can say in a SR+ it will take longer which nobody is doubting but making others believe they'd be stranded with nowhere to charge is BOGUS as I point out....

Are there some who don't need AWD where the LR would still make sense at the 10K add? Sure but I'd guess they are few and far in-between... Spending $10K for 70 extra miles of range if AWD is not needed is madness in my opinion...

Reactions: SaddleSC
I made your point? You point was that there we NO chargers... Your point is FALSE!

Lets look at your point again>

You can say in a SR+ it will take longer which nobody is doubting but making others believe they'd be stranded with nowhere to charge is BOGUS as I point out....

Are there some who don't need AWD where the LR would still make sense at the 10K add? Sure but I'd guess they are few and far in-between... Spending $10K for 70 extra miles of range if AWD is not needed is madness in my opinion...
Ok, my intent wasn’t to go back and forth with you. By your logic a 100 mile range car would be enough, since SCs are rarely more than 100 miles apart.

I’m glad you are enjoying your car.

Reactions: Msjulie
I’m guessing you haven’t gone on a long trip yet. I have a LR RWD and even with it, if you stay with traffic on a long drive your range is dramatically hit.

My wife and I have gone on a few long weekend trips in the SR+ and have never really had any issues. For much longer road trips (cross country), which we also enjoy, we take my VW GTI. It has a 400-mile range on a single tank of gas at 75 mph and can fill up anywhere in minutes. Although the LR Model 3 will require less charging stops, even with 65 miles additional range, IMO it still cannot compete with a highly efficient ICE if the intended use is long road trips.

For my use case, the SR+ is the perfect Tesla because I did not buy it with the intention of using it on long road trips. The AWD is not a factor either, even though I live in Colorado, have a very short commute and use my wife's Audi Q5 for any serious mountain adventures.

Which Model 3 is best for each buyer depends on the intended use of the vehicle. If the Tesla was going to be my only car and I needed to rely on it as my only transportation on long cross-country treks, then the extra range would be more important, but 340 days per year I have a very short commute and use the car for day trips, errands, etc, so the SR+ is perfect for me.

Reactions: bogich and LunkHead
first post. I'm still waiting for the VIN# on SR+.... after reading this thread I'm debating If I should upgrade to AWD. I live in the Canadian city where winters are BAD so extra range and AWD would be a huge benefit. I just can't jusitfy $17k+ increase (including $5k federal incentive) !!!

If I had to go San Antonio to Cisco in an SR+ I would take the "longer" route through Junction, no way the Austin route is faster. ABRP lists the 158 miles from Junction to Cisco as 3.5 hours while Google has it a full hour shorter, not having been on the road I don't know. ABRP has the speed limit on I-10 at 65mph around Junction so their speed limits may be off
sa to cisco.jpg

On edit: Checking a few roads on TXDOT from Junction to Cisco they appeared to be in the 65-75mph range so I suspect Google's time estimate is more accurate. ABRP has the speed limit at 45

Last edited:
Oh please! It's the mid-range trips where the LR really shines. No one I know drives across the US but once or twice in a lifetime and that's usually when they're moving to another state. When the trip is longer than about 500 or 600 miles most people will fly unless they have a week to get where they're going aka retired.

Decision is easier in BC Canada as extra cost is CAD$19K + higher tax rate so >$20k ($16K US)
So the move from Sr+ to LR AWD is a steeper price.

I would have spent a bit more as plan to keep car longer so might as well get what one wants.

Longer range for the occasional longer trips is nice but as others have mentioned the network of supercharger means my savings can go to charging and coffee.

Vancouver is fairly mild so AWD not quite as necessary unless skiing.
Even then if one believes YouTube videos it sounds like the even spread of weight makes RD quite good in poor weather.

($19k CAD difference is Base $11k plus loss of $8k rebates as price is over the maximum).

SR+ = 26 charging stops
LR = 21 charging stops

Here is another. Try DFW to Amarillo.

Until they get the Henrietta SC built, you are either going to be driving very slow or taking a very long route.

I just drive this in the LR RWD is a stretch.