Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in Model X for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, before you all get up in my grill...here is my case. We are a family of 7 and I’ve had the Model X 75D almost 2 years now and have put 37,000 miles on it. I commute about 110 miles each day for work in California and it has been great. We’ve gone on road trips and family vacations in it and created lots of great memories. My 75D also has the upgraded sound system, ventilated seats, bio weapon defense mode and white seats and it’s been fun to drive.

Well a couple months ago we learned that we are expecting child number 6 next summer, which will make 8 and more than the Model X can hold. We also have a Honda Odyssey that seats 8, so that will be our main family traveler from now on and I’ll continue drive the X to work.

I’m seeing all these great reviews of the 3 now and it’s really making me jealous because of the excellent build quality, no FWD issues, smooth fit and finish, etc... on the 3. Plus it’ll have AP2.0.

What do you guys think I should do?

Ok, before you all get up in my grill...here is my case. We are a family of 7 and I’ve had the Model X 75D almost 2 years now and have put 37,000 miles on it. I commute about 110 miles each day for work in California and it has been great. We’ve gone on road trips and family vacations in it and created lots of great memories. My 75D also has the upgraded sound system, ventilated seats, bio weapon defense mode and white seats and it’s been fun to drive.

Well a couple months ago we learned that we are expecting child number 6 next summer, which will make 8 and more than the Model X can hold. We also have a Honda Odyssey that seats 8, so that will be our main family traveler from now on and I’ll continue drive the X to work.

I’m seeing all these great reviews of the 3 now and it’s really making me jealous because of the excellent build quality, no FWD issues, smooth fit and finish, etc... on the 3. Plus it’ll have AP2.0.

MX 60d owner here. First of all we have 2 kids and that's all I can handle, bless you guys for going 6! Congrats! I have received the model 3 invite but planning for the SR model 3 so holding out for now... However the 300 mile range of the LR is super tempting (plus then I could get it in 4 weeks). I love the MX despite several issues we've had to get fixed, and it is the perfect car for our family at this time. If your commute is 110 miles and you're going to have to take the Odyssey (great car on that note) for your family trips now though, I personally would make the trade for the LR model 3...

I don't know how often you need to go out with all 8 people at once but if it's either 8 or <=5, then get the 3 to replace the X as it will be your commuter to work. I'd imagine there are times you have 6 or 7 people going out and the X would still handle it. Can't imagine you'd take the Odyssey over the X if you aren't all going out at once. Currently there's no advantage of AP2 over AP1.

I am also holding out for the SR. While I can have it within 4 weeks I would rather wait a bit longer until they solve most of the initial problems. There are numerous reports about the issues if you look beyond the hype.

One of your kids has to be approaching driving age soon right? Buy the 3, sell the Honda and make your oldest follow you around everywhere in it. Or better yet, tow the 3 on road trips, find a way to charge the X with the 3's battery to alleviate the increased consumption.

On the plus side, when you have kids #9-12, you'll have enough space for all of them!

• Funny
Reactions: TJtv

I may be interested in this trade once I get my model 3. I’m a day one California Orange County reservation holder. I’m supposed to get my model 3 by the end of February.

Trade Model X for Tesla Semi. You will be able to haul everyone, have a mobile nursery, etc. :)

Will the Odyssey be able to even fit a stroller with 8 people?

Or with that many hands, baby can be held and not needed to be pushed around?

Do what works best for you. I would use the Odyssey as the main family hauler and get the 3...if Tesla is the only make you are considering.

Coming from the X, you most likely won't be happy with the base 3 and will opt for every option currently offered, pushing the price to $60K after tax before Fed and state credit. I don't know your financials, but me... I am not brand loyal and for $60K, there are lots of other options.

Cheers