Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trade in value at Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone traded in their car when they bought a new tesla? Have their quotes been any more generous than other garages that “buy your car”?
My car is currently on autotrader for sale but I’m not too confident it’ll sell there - maybe I’m just being pessimistic

Has anyone traded in their car when they bought a new tesla? Have their quotes been any more generous than other garages that “buy your car”?
My car is currently on autotrader for sale but I’m not too confident it’ll sell there - maybe I’m just being pessimistic

The quote I got for my Jaguar XE from them was £1,500 less than webuyanycar and £2,000-£2500 less than I expect I'll get for it off auto trader/eBay.

Yep

BMW X1 2015 (new shape) £11500 webuyanycar, £9500 tesla. It had loads of miles on it and a few scuffs etc. The webuyanycar offer was about right so sold it straight away. Now only have a Zoe whilst waiting for my M3 (added a tow so could be quite a wait!)

I found that since buying the Zoe in Feb I wasn't using the X1 so it was just sat on the drive depreciating

They clearly market this is a no hassle exchange, drive in with "old ICE car", drive out with "fancy EV". Tesla offered about £4k less for an Audi A3 than what I could get through a private sale. I just put it on eBay for a few weeks and had a number of viewings which finally led to a sale. Maybe a bit of stress and a faff but my pockets are now £4k bigger.

If I recall correctly Tesla offer part exchange through a auction house so they are just the middle man.

Have a trade in with Tesla at the moment although it's £2k less than what we buy any car have quoted. I've got mine up for sale privately and if that fails will end up selling with we buy any car. Only reason I've still got my trade in with Tesla is in case something goes horribly wrong and I can fall back on it.

Out of curiosity, I've never sold to We buy any Car, would be interested in peoples experience?

I see.

Problem with part exchanging and webuyanycar is that they don’t seem to care about any extras your car may have. My mini for example has the driving assistance, heads up display, tech pack, media xl , etc but they don’t give more for those, whereas a private sale may be able to earn you a bit more

I mean, I should point out that I don't blame Tesla for not really being interested in a second hand non-Tesla market. They're not a big dealer with multiple different brands being sold where they can shift vehicles around. Tesla sell Teslas, so it makes sense that they'd just be disposing quickly of any trade-in to the auction house, offering a low price to match.

There are plenty of places to sell a car.

Reactions: Roy W.
My car with 130k miles on it is estimated to be £4-£6k trade in. Tesla offered £4k.
Judging by the chopping and changing of the dates people are getting, I will happily drive it there and let them deal with it.

Does anyone know if they actaully do an inspection on it? If they are allocating 10mins per change over then I can't imagine there is any time...

Reactions: TooEager
My car with 130k miles on it is estimated to be £4-£6k trade in. Tesla offered £4k.
Judging by the chopping and changing of the dates people are getting, I will happily drive it there and let them deal with it.

Does anyone know if they actaully do an inspection on it? If they are allocating 10mins per change over then I can't imagine there is any time...
I believe they only check for major damage etc. One thing to bare in mind with we buy any car is that they will knock any little mark down, and then theres a load of hidden fees like if you actually want same day payment etc.

In contrast to just about everybody else, I got an OK deal. Tesla offered me a reasonable trade-in price, and only a few hundred below a private sale price. In fact having owned the car for nearly 2 years, they offered me just £250 less than I paid for it.

Reactions: Roy W.
In contrast to just about everybody else, I got an OK deal. Tesla offered me a reasonable trade-in price, and only a few hundred below a private sale price. In fact having owned the car for nearly 2 years, they offered me just £250 less than I paid for it.
Ditto. Tesla offered a couple of hundred more for my trade-in than WBAC. That was back in mid-May and offer was valid for 3 months, i.e. mid-August. No sign of new car, mind.

I mean, I should point out that I don't blame Tesla for not really being interested in a second hand non-Tesla market. They're not a big dealer with multiple different brands being sold where they can shift vehicles around. Tesla sell Teslas, so it makes sense that they'd just be disposing quickly of any trade-in to the auction house, offering a low price to match.

There are plenty of places to sell a car.

Remove the non-Tesla part, I have a Tesla Model S, wanted to trade it for model 3 and the offer I got made me nearly fall off my chair!

I've recently changed from 65 plate MS P85D to new MS P100D. Tesla offered me a price and I got an extra 25% from R Symons. They were extremely professional in all aspects of the purchase even when my MS delivery, expected May, was delayed until late June.

I also thought the trade-in price Tesla offered me was pretty reasonable though my car's not worth much anyway. I am stressing though about whether Tesla is going to make a fuss about its condition when I turn up on delivery day. My car is almost 10 years old & although it's generally in great condition with very low mileage & good service history, it's got 10 years of accumulated scuffs & scrapes on it! The scrapes don't bother me (most of them were already there when I bought the car) but I really don't want to have my M3 delivery experience messed up by an argument with Tesla about what consititutes normal wear & tear.
From previous comments, it sounds like everything should be fine, but would be interested to hear if anyone has had any issues & how their trade-in the process was conducted.

I also thought the trade-in price Tesla offered me was pretty reasonable though my car's not worth much anyway. I am stressing though about whether Tesla is going to make a fuss about its condition when I turn up on delivery day. My car is almost 10 years old & although it's generally in great condition with very low mileage & good service history, it's got 10 years of accumulated scuffs & scrapes on it! The scrapes don't bother me (most of them were already there when I bought the car) but I really don't want to have my M3 delivery experience messed up by an argument with Tesla about what consititutes normal wear & tear.
From previous comments, it sounds like everything should be fine, but would be interested to hear if anyone has had any issues & how their trade-in the process was conducted.

I believe this is why most quotes are on the low scale so they don't have to negotiate with trade ins if they give you a generally lower offer.