Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in values are getting really high

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In January this year I traded in a 2019 Full Performance 3 with Red and White, about 5,000 miles. Car was less than one year old at trade in and Tesla gave me $42k. Im selling the Long Range Plus S I bought in January now for what I paid then, I guess that makes up for the low number then.

Yup. I went to Carmax and got a quote from Carvana. Both were way below Tesla's trade in quote.
Tesla offered me way less (almost $20k) for my 4,900 mile 6 month old 2020 LR+ Model S than what AutoNation is offering. Tesla seems pretty greedy because they have no used 2020 or 2021 model S’s available. The car would sell in less than a day if they listed it. On top of that Tesla has a huge advantage in a used tesla market because they can just add FSD software

In January this year I traded in a 2019 Full Performance 3 with Red and White, about 5,000 miles. Car was less than one year old at trade in and Tesla gave me $42k. Im selling the Long Range Plus S I bought in January now for what I paid then, I guess that makes up for the low number then.
Tesla just offered me $50k (net $51k after trade-in incentive) for my 2019 Stealth FSD with 13k miles….great price but I don’t want to part with it so we’ll be taking delivery of the Model Y without a trade-in. Prices are truly nuts right now….

Reactions: Zorg
I put my 2020 SR+ on AutoTrader and have gotten some really good bids. Most are at above what I paid for the car 16 months ago and from local dealerships. The problem is if I take one of the offers, I am car less until September. Buying Model Y. What to do?

I put my 2020 SR+ on AutoTrader and have gotten some really good bids. Most are at above what I paid for the car 16 months ago and from local dealerships. The problem is if I take one of the offers, I am car less until September. Buying Model Y. What to do?
There are a handful of "new" Model Y's for sale right now in the US. Most of them are demos, but demos are usually in pretty good condition from Tesla and are sold as "new" (so you get any state incentives for buying a new EV) and you get the fully warranty and stuff. There are a couple red on black 7 seaters in the Pacific Northwest for ~$57k (they're listed with FSD, but you can usually ask Tesla to remove that). Both with less than 1,000 miles on them. The rest are Performances all in the low $60k range.

If you were flexible on color and didn’t mind a fly somewhere and drive home you could be in a car probably within a couple days. (even faster if you paid cash)

Reactions: Bgarel
There are a handful of "new" Model Y's for sale right now in the US. Most of them are demos, but demos are usually in pretty good condition from Tesla and are sold as "new" (so you get any state incentives for buying a new EV) and you get the fully warranty and stuff. There are a couple red on black 7 seaters in the Pacific Northwest for ~$57k (they're listed with FSD, but you can usually ask Tesla to remove that). Both with less than 1,000 miles on them. The rest are Performances all in the low $60k range.

If you were flexible on color and didn’t mind a fly somewhere and drive home you could be in a car probably within a couple days. (even faster if you paid cash)
I am paying cash and could make a trip to get one. I am in Texas. What zip codes should I use for search? Nothing down here at all.

The best advice I can give those that are looking to buy a new Tesla right now, and can't wait to September, is to befriend a sales consultant. I am not a Tesla Sales Consultant, but I have spoken to one recently and he advised that he can see into the production queue somewhat and try to find cars that are being produced but don't have owners yet, and help someone get one of those.

For example I was at one point considering an off menu Y and his response is below:

"We are expecting a few off-menu Model Y's soon. Totally understand the instinct to look elsewhere. If you ever have a similar situation again or know someone looking for a Tesla they cannot find, just reach out to me. Though our insight to what is coming is limited, we often know a little more than is facing the consumer on our site when it comes to inventory and what may become available.

Marino Cecchi | Tesla Advisor
1200 Old Skokie Valley Rd, Highland Park, IL 60035"

If anyone wants his contact information PM me and I will provide it. In general you would prefer to work with a local consultant, but if you are in Texas that may not be possible.