Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in Y for S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a 2021 Model Y long range, and I reserved a Tesla Model S last year before the $10K price increase. I got an email that Model S is ready for delivery. I am debating if I should get the S or not, because I like the size of the Y and also I will have to pay around $500 more each month for the S. Do you guys think it is worth it? And also in terms of comfort, how much more comfortable is the S compared to Y? (I use the car mainly for driving to work, around 1-1:30 hrs round trip 3-4 times a week.) Thank you!

I love my Model Y as well, I hope to keep it for a long time. I do plan on a Model S purchase in a couple of years. I would recommend obtaining the Model S, drive it for a month and then decide which you like. The MS bring so much more to the table. Better ride on air, faster, roomier, and there's something about having those two screens. To me, there's something to be said on how sexy the Model S looks over any car on the road.

These are pretty different vehicles. We have both a Y and a refresh S (both LR)—my wife drives the Y, I drive the S. The S is much more comfortable, luxurious (ventilated seats rock!), and quicker than the Y, but the Y has a higher seating position (which is the #1 criteria for my wife) and, as Dirty Dog noted, is easier to get in and out of (#1 criteria for my 89 year-old MIL). Cargo capacity is similar.

Then there's also the yoke. Personally, I'm pretty happy overall with the yoke arrangement (other than the idiotic horn button) and prefer it now that I've driven it for awhile, but that seems to be about a 50/50 proposition.

I know I would much prefer to drive my MSLR for 1-1.5 hours a day than the Y, but it's not like the Y would be torture. ;)

Well, I think i am going the other way. I have an MYP on order and plan to trade in my 2022 Refresh S. I also have a long range MY. I DONT find the ride in the S much smoother, if at all. The adaptive suspension stuff is real subtle. There is a current MS Forum thread about this. And a guy in my local Tesla Service Dept confirmed that the MS simply has a pretty tight suspension. I do like the two screens in the S, and the Yoke is ok. And the interior is simply more beautiful than the MY. The sound system in the MS might be a tiny bit better - but just because seats are lower and closer to main speakers. But, as a larger car the MS is more challenging to drive on narrow streets, and to park. And i do like the higher ride height of the MY. I've owned an MX and and M3, so have been around the block with Teslas. and the MY is the best all-round Tesla. I suppose if i werent an old retired guy, but a young guy, i would prefer the sportiness of the MS or M3 over the MY. Here is the forum thread on the suspension: Adaptive Suspension Damping… Real or Ruse? Which one do you have? Find out fast!

Last edited:
Well, I think i am going the other way. I have an MYP on order and plan to trade in my 2022 Refresh S. I also have a long range MY. I DONT find the ride in the S much smoother, if at all. The adaptive suspension stuff is real subtle. There is a current MS Forum thread about this. And a guy in my local Tesla Service Dept confirmed that the MS simply has a pretty tight suspension. I do like the two screens in the S, and the Yoke is ok. And the interior is simply more beautiful than the MY. The sound system in the MS might be a tiny bit better - but just because seats are lower and closer to main speakers. But, as a larger car the MS is more challenging to drive on narrow streets, and to park. And i do like the higher ride height of the MY. I've owned an MX and and M3, so have been around the block with Teslas. and the MY is the best all-round Tesla. I suppose if i werent an old retired guy, but a young guy, i would prefer the sportiness of the MS or M3 over the MY. Here is the forum thread on the suspension: Adaptive Suspension Damping… Real or Ruse? Which one do you have? Find out fast!
A little background. 51 and do not race my cars. I have the Y and just got a MSLR a week ago and gave up my M3LR 2018 which I loved. I agree with everything you say except the suspension. The main road outside my house is slightly bumpy for South Florida and my M3LR cruised over it. I get nautious in my wifes MYLR. In the new MSLR I don't feel anything. Also just took my first 30 miles drive down I95 in my MSLR and the ride is much more quiet and less bump crashing feeling then the 3 and the Y. I was going to get the MYP but it was way to stiff suspension for me. My friend has it and let me drive it for a while. Not a fan of the yoke. Got used to it quickly but no upside for me.

Reactions: Wilber
Sounds like your suspension is broken (seems pretty common)...I've had 2 MYs and a MSLR and it's night and day.

Also, I never realized how bad the range on a MY is until I got the MS.

I have to drive a 180 mile drive semi-regularly. It's mostly interstate travel and the average speed is 75-80 mph, typically a lot of head wind as it's toward the coast. The MY arrives at the location anywhere from 4%-10% starting with 100% charge...my MSLR can go there and back without much of an issue.

The only things I like more about the MY are
-The ride height
-The seats are on a track, which makes back seat legroom better. I actually have more room for my legs and the car seat in the MS than the MY
-Frunk- Bigger than the one in the MS

Everything else is much worse...everything performs better....

Driving the MS for as much as I have, I dislike the stalks and the round wheel now, but that's a personal thing. I just enjoy the yoke and the auto-shift, which I've only had 2 wrong choices in 14k miles. I hate the horn button and will never get over that, but everything else is better IMO.

Also, getting out of the MS is really a challenge for me being 6'2...so while I appreciate the additional leg room, it's slightly negated by how crazy low the MS is and the door opening makes it really hard to get out. The MY is really nice for tall people.

IMO the suspension is wonderful in the S compared to the 3/Y that I've driven. It feels much more planted in the ground. The cabin is also amazingly quiet in comparison, although less so if compared to something like a Mercedes S class. The biggest open question is if it is worth it as OP asked. It really depends on your preferences and what you value.

A little background. 51 and do not race my cars. I have the Y and just got a MSLR a week ago and gave up my M3LR 2018 which I loved. I agree with everything you say except the suspension. The main road outside my house is slightly bumpy for South Florida and my M3LR cruised over it. I get nautious in my wifes MYLR. In the new MSLR I don't feel anything. Also just took my first 30 miles drive down I95 in my MSLR and the ride is much more quiet and less bump crashing feeling then the 3 and the Y. I was going to get the MYP but it was way to stiff suspension for me. My friend has it and let me drive it for a while. Not a fan of the yoke. Got used to it quickly but no upside for me.
DD: I am 71 and do not race my cars. altho i sometimes like to accelerate real fast getting on the freeway! IF I understand you correctly you are saying the suspension in your M3 handled the slightly bumpy road better than the MY. Is that right? Gee, I owned an MY and M3 at the same time and the suspensions seemed the same to me on local roads. I agree the MSLR is more qulet on the highway, and feels more planted than the MY. And, i suspect it is smoother at high speeds (65 plus) than the MY. But i havent done a high speed highway comparison. My comparisons are on the local streets (up to 45mph) where i do most of my driving. I suppose i should do a more systematic comparison drive of the two cars in the next week or so, to try to get a better feel for differences, or lack of differences. I did do a test drive of an MYP 10 days ago and it felt like the suspension was the same as the MS. but, maybe i missed something, Maybe i am making different observations from you as i am just driving on different kinds of roads and going different speeds from you?

Reactions: Darmie
DD: I am 71 and do not race my cars. altho i sometimes like to accelerate real fast getting on the freeway! IF I understand you correctly you are saying the suspension in your M3 handled the slightly bumpy road better than the MY. Is that right? Gee, I owned an MY and M3 at the same time and the suspensions seemed the same to me on local roads. I agree the MSLR is more qulet on the highway, and feels more planted than the MY. And, i suspect it is smoother at high speeds (65 plus) than the MY. But i havent done a high speed highway comparison. My comparisons are on the local streets (up to 45mph) where i do most of my driving. I suppose i should do a more systematic comparison drive of the two cars in the next week or so, to try to get a better feel for differences, or lack of differences. I did do a test drive of an MYP 10 days ago and it felt like the suspension was the same as the MS. but, maybe i missed something, Maybe i am making different observations from you as i am just driving on different kinds of roads and going different speeds from you?
The MY is much heavier than the 3. You feel more bumps with the weight. The MYP was even worse. Probably because the wheels are larger. The MYP suspension is not air suspension like in the MSLR. It doesn’t compare. Much harsher Ride in the MYP. I’m in Florida

Reactions: Wilber