Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade war scarier than ev rebate/Ford?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new confirmed order holder (AWD), and having recieved rebates for my volt, wife's bolt I have accepted I likely won't get a rebate for the 3, but I want to support the ev world and am ok with that...

What I'm really scared about now is the potential for a trade war that puts a potential 25% duty on my model 3. I can 'afford' to not get the rebate....I can't afford a $17,500 duty on a 70k car. Combine that with the rebate, and the lucky ones who got their 3 last month have a 30k+ upswing...ouch!

Am I not the only one in this boat? Worrying about this? I havent seen any other threads talking about this, but it's much more painful than a rebate that is admittedly higher compared to Quebec and BC...

Am I missing something as to why no one is posting about this? They just announced a 25% hit in China:

Tesla hikes prices in China as trade war hits US cars

I think you and I and whoever have a confirmed order is fine.

If they, meaning Canada, ever impose tariff on imported car, Tesla will need to increase the price just like what they do in China.

btw, they are building a new factory in China, so no tariff. It is going to be really good for Tesla as China is pushing for electric car over there. They need clean air.

I'm a new confirmed order holder (AWD), and having recieved rebates for my volt, wife's bolt I have accepted I likely won't get a rebate for the 3, but I want to support the ev world and am ok with that...

What I'm really scared about now is the potential for a trade war that puts a potential 25% duty on my model 3. I can 'afford' to not get the rebate....I can't afford a $17,500 duty on a 70k car. Combine that with the rebate, and the lucky ones who got their 3 last month have a 30k+ upswing...ouch!

Am I not the only one in this boat? Worrying about this? I havent seen any other threads talking about this, but it's much more painful than a rebate that is admittedly higher compared to Quebec and BC...

Am I missing something as to why no one is posting about this? They just announced a 25% hit in China:

Tesla hikes prices in China as trade war hits US cars

I am also concerned about this. I am hoping if Canada imposes any duties on US cars, Tesla will rush up deliveries to Canada. I think they did this rush deliveries for China as they planned to imposed duties.

Ok, this makes me feel better on a personal note....but on a wider scale, considering the world, it's a horrible thing to happen. Obviously not the forum for politics, but no good can come of this..hopefully the people involved don't have a pissing contest at the expense of hard working Canadians AND Americans.

I am also concerned about this. I am hoping if Canada imposes any duties on US cars, Tesla will rush up deliveries to Canada. I think they did this rush deliveries for China as they planned to imposed duties.
Although our purchase is a couple years away we are cognizant of the fact that both our first choices (Tesla 3 and Leaf) maybe off the table for us as a result of the trade war between Canada and the USA and the decision by the American Goverment to label Canada as a security risk and untrustworthy. There are a couple Korean alternatives coming down and I suppose Canada could switch back to Nissan Leafs built in the Japanese factory like we did prior to 2014. As Americans distance themselves from all of the traditional historic alliances and cosy up with Russia I think there will be major trade and defence alliance changes in the next decade.

Last edited:
Ok, this makes me feel better on a personal note....but on a wider scale, considering the world, it's a horrible thing to happen. Obviously not the forum for politics, but no good can come of this..hopefully the people involved don't have a pissing contest at the expense of hard working Canadians AND Americans.
From all the stories of Trump being recorded in a Russian hotel, i'm not sure he would be opposed to a pissing contest...

Honestly buying a car will be the least of your problems in a full-on trade war. Disruption of supply chains. Rapidly increasing prices. Unpredictable changes in exchange rates. Major recession. etc.

These tariffs are simply huge tax grab that targets your country's own consumers, while at the same time hobbling companies that use global supply chains... i.e. all manufacturers.

new factory on the way in China. The vehicles made in the US and shipped over seas are now going to be made in China. Tesla has done the same thing Harley Davidson just did. open factories outside of the country to avoid tariffs. Tesla isn't being as vocal about it as Harley and though. LOL kinda funny.

Its only a matter of time before Teslas will be imported from China instead of the US to Canada. I could care less who makes my vehicle along as the quality stays the same and it doesnt cost me more.

new factory on the way in China. The vehicles made in the US and shipped over seas are now going to be made in China. Tesla has done the same thing Harley Davidson just did. open factories outside of the country to avoid tariffs. Tesla isn't being as vocal about it as Harley and though. LOL kinda funny.

Its only a matter of time before Teslas will be imported from China instead of the US to Canada. I could care less who makes my vehicle along as the quality stays the same and it doesnt cost me more.

A Made in China Tesla just doesn't instill the same confidence as one Made in California. Especially at the high price points that Tesla are at right now.

A Made in China Tesla just doesn't instill the same confidence as one Made in California. Especially at the high price points that Tesla are at right now.
That's the traditional view, but realistically this viewpoint is falling away as it becomes less and less true. Quality on most Chinese hi-tech products is very good. All phones are made in China for instance. I'd expect the difference between a Tesla made in China or USA to be negligible.

Owner reviews are in. Turns out the build quality on these vehicles cant get any worse. The Tesla P100D in Canada here is over 200k. my mirrors fail all the time, door handles don't go back in sometimes.... reboots a hand full of times. This is the quality of build coming out of California. it's a 2017. One would think that a vehicle that's been in production for over 5 years now would have these issues figured out.

Ain't no one care if a vehicles made in the states except the people in the states. I support my wallet.

Owner reviews are in. Turns out the build quality on these vehicles cant get any worse.

Do you always just make up stuff? Here's the facts regarding Tesla owner's reviews:

Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

Tesla owners' reviews gave 90% owner satisfaction -- higher than all other vehicle makers and most by a long shot. Please tell me your source, other than you.

The Tesla P100D in Canada here is over 200k. my mirrors fail all the time...

Nice that you get in the price you paid, as if people who pay $35k have an expectation of bad build quality. I always cringe at comments of "what I paid" and "what I deserve". And that's aside from the fact that, as to build quality, the folding mirrors on my 2014 S have never failed me once and my vehicle has over 100k km and has been rock solid. I don't buy the argument that Chinese build quality is better than US. Of course, products vary greatly but give me the choice of US made vs. China made and I know the one I'm buying -- no question about it.

Ain't no one care if a vehicles made in the states except the people in the states. I support my wallet.

This "no one" cares where my vehicle is made. Given a choice, I'd much rather support my friends down south, who support human rights, than the Chinese, who have shown a flagrant disregard for human rights.

Last edited:
Do you always just make up stuff? Here's the facts regarding Tesla owner's reviews:

Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

Tesla owners' reviews gave 90% owner satisfaction -- higher than all other vehicle makers and most by a long shot. Please tell me your source, other than you.

Nice that you get in the price you paid, as if people who pay $35k have an expectation of bad build quality. I always cringe at comments of "what I paid" and "what I deserve". And that's aside from the fact that, as to build quality, the folding mirrors on my 2014 S have never failed me once and my vehicle has over 100k km and has been rock solid. I don't buy the argument that Chinese build quality is better than US. Of course, products vary greatly but give me the choice of US made vs. China made and I know the one I'm buying -- no question about it.

This "no one" cares where my vehicle is made. Given a choice, I'd much rather support my friends down south, who support human rights, than the Chinese, who have shown a flagrant disregard for human rights.
What if you can get a Dutch one! Then which one?

I'd say the average U.S. auto employee is more likely a trump supporter than not. I'm not sure their views on human rights are overly different than the average Chinese persons.

Reactions: Ludalicious