Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded in my Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly don’t understand this. It’s like saying you miss doing taxes freehand instead of using software, or I really miss my push reel lawnmower, or I don’t want a dishwasher, let me just wash the dishes by hand. Just seems so...antiquated.
I actually do like doing dishes by hand.

I prefer auto as with an EV that’s all there is anyway, but that element of control I have and connection with the car is what I like. But honestly I’d only want it sometimes. Not 100%.

I can recommend a good dish washing sponge for you if you’re feeling nostalgic.

• Funny
Reactions: DDHEverything
Would you miss your Tesla if you took the bus everywhere? I mean it's a lot easier than driving yourself....
If I took it everywhere? Yes, I’d miss it. But there are also many drives in which I wouldn’t mind an Uber over taking my car! Different drives have different objectives, which is why many households have different types of cars. M3 is the best suburbia daily driver I’ve owned. It lacks on the weekend and road trips.

Your point is a good one. The fact we’re paying 55k for going from Point A to Point B, with a lacking interior and suspension no less, makes it clear the decision is far from utilitarian or comfort.

Does this conflict with current Teslas being L5 personal taxis?

I’ve been lurking here for a while and appreciate all the guidance I received. I recently traded in my Model 3 Performance for a Charger Hellcat Widebody. I posted a video with some of the reasons why I made the trade. I know not many are cross shopping between the two, but hopefully this will help some future prospective owners with their purchase. Now I just need to convince my wife she needs a Model Y Performance for the best of both worlds!

Why I TRADED My TESLA MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE for a HELLCAT CHARGER WIDEBODY!

your video doesnt make any sense. Other people who order charger hellcats also look for the most part the same.
I do like the look of the dodge charger (i prefer the hellcat though) but at the end of the day particularly the charger looks like a barndoor chevrolet car.

For the cost of the maintaince of the hellcar (and extra costs compared to the tesla) you can get a respray of your tesla model 3 though... lol.

"maybe going a bit sideways" - thats not something you get with the Tesla. That's right, why would you want something which puts your life and other peopls life at risk?

Have to follow your heart. It’s a very neat car and I think you’ll be happy with the decision.

and look forward to hearing you bought a Tesla again in 3-4 years to drive daily while you weekend that monster!

the best of both worlds.

Thanks! I’m having a lot of fun with it so far.

That is absolutely the plan. I don’t think you can get a much better combination than a Tesla for a daily and a Hellcat for the weekend fun. One day!

Would you miss your Tesla if you took the bus everywhere? I mean it's a lot easier than driving yourself....

Great perspective.

Valid reasons, especially for a muscle head. The Performance is just missing a slightly better stance. With a suspension upgrade, it looks 10x better. In the end, you made the switch to something you truly wanted and that’s what matters. Enjoy!

Thanks! The Performance definitely looks better lowered. I’d like to see some more supportive seats in them eventually too.

Right? ICE's still have their place, while I don't care for an exhaust note in a daily driver a V8 can sound amazing. I love driving my Ploaris RzR in the desert. It's by far the most fun vehicle I own, although allot more maintenance than any street car. And it's only caught on fire once.

I’ve always loved the sound of a good running V8. It adds to the fun and experience for me.

I’d love to have a side by side. I bet it is fun. Only on fire once too. I mean, once isn’t bad right haha.

My wife said no to the Hellcat, and it just too big for EU driving.
Get to know the parts manager and see if you can get a club card for
tires. There are all kind of stuff to do to the engine and rims and so on $$.
My friend got a ticket one night for not speeding, the cop said well
the car looks way too fast.

I couldn’t imagine driving a big car over there. I’d probably have to stick with a motorcycle on those roads.

I plan on picking up a set of dedicated drag wheels and tires. Hopefully that will prolong the life of my street setup. I’m sure it won’t be kind to tires though.

I feel for your friend. Hopefully that one got dismissed!

Reactions: Glamisduner
I would have waited for the RedEye, but its not my money lol. We went from Charger to M3 Stealth, haven't looked back. The sound is unbeatable, but for as much driving as the M3 gets (pre-covid), it's a much better car. No doubt the HC is more fun. Burning rubber, getting sideways, and hearing the v8 roar has it's own fun factor.

Well in Texas I went out for a test drive of a Viper and 6 police
cars followed me back to the dealership. My guess is the Pope would
get busted for speeding in a Viper in Texas. Sometimes the cops pull
folks over just to look at the car. I really like the model 3.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and seven30
I would have waited for the RedEye, but its not my money lol. We went from Charger to M3 Stealth, haven't looked back. The sound is unbeatable, but for as much driving as the M3 gets (pre-covid), it's a much better car. No doubt the HC is more fun. Burning rubber, getting sideways, and hearing the v8 roar has it's own fun factor.

I definitely thought about waiting for the Redeye, but figured it would be pretty easy to get the Hellcat up to Redeye power and save some cash in the process.

You described the fun factor perfectly. I missed it enough to go back. I’ll have another EV to accompany it one day though.

I definitely thought about waiting for the Redeye, but figured it would be pretty easy to get the Hellcat up to Redeye power and save some cash in the process.

You described the fun factor perfectly. I missed it enough to go back. I’ll have another EV to accompany it one day though.

So you're saying you are getting a CyberTruck to haul the Hellcat to the track :D

Reactions: seven30
Well said! Two different tools for sure. I grew up at the drag races with my dad and having a muscle car in the garage so I had to follow my heart. I’d love to have both one day.

well I remember when BIG BLOCKS were outlawed
if you showed at the strip you could run but not under
any sanctioned event!

427 was imprinted into my brain at a very early age!

my last was LS7 powered corvette! loved the pipes!
short shift kit, coil overs, heel & toe was like playing
a stradivarius!

I didn't have the excitement going to pick up my P3D
that I'd had w/every corvette I owned, till about 5 mins
on the drive home, being able to pick a spot and put
the car there, instantly & effortlessly! silently too!

this isn't just a different tool, it's a better tool!
ask my neighbors that drive F458's, ZR-1's ninjas!
they don't like me much anymore!!!

well I remember when BIG BLOCKS were outlawed
if you showed at the strip you could run but not under
any sanctioned event!

427 was imprinted into my brain at a very early age!

my last was LS7 powered corvette! loved the pipes!
short shift kit, coil overs, heel & toe was like playing
a stradivarius!

I didn't have the excitement going to pick up my P3D
that I'd had w/every corvette I owned, till about 5 mins
on the drive home, being able to pick a spot and put
the car there, instantly & effortlessly! silently too!

this isn't just a different tool, it's a better tool!
ask my neighbors that drive F458's, ZR-1's ninjas!
they don't like me much anymore!!!
When I drive something from my past, I find I miss the sound and shifting in my head more than in reality. Then again, I’d never call myself a skillful track guy or even a true car guy.

If you’re one that enjoyed working on your car, and your driving, in efforts to improve performance, an EV will not be as enjoyable. At least until the EV industry has matured and DMCA is amended.

Reactions: seven30
If you’re one that enjoyed working on your car, and your driving, in efforts to improve performance, an EV will not be as enjoyable. At least until the EV industry has matured and DMCA is amended.

I am that guy, but I haven't had the issue with not having to work on my Tesla. I just order new MPP shocks/springs to fix the horrible selection by the factory. And I got to "finish the assembly" when my car arrived (panel alignments, window alignments, loose suspension bolts), and spend time, money, and effort to try to reduce the low-rent road noise, and I got to fix the alignment myself that was very wrong from factory that the SC couldn't seem to fix, and I got to go to the parts store to buy new fasteners that the SC left off when they bungled the alignment job which caused my undertray to fall off at freeway speeds.

So, yeah, don't be fooled, there's plenty of work to do on these cars even though it's an EV.

I am that guy, but I haven't had the issue with not having to work on my Tesla. I just order new MPP shocks/springs to fix the horrible selection by the factory. And I got to "finish the assembly" when my car arrived (panel alignments, window alignments, loose suspension bolts), and spend time, money, and effort to try to reduce the low-rent road noise, and I got to fix the alignment myself that was very wrong from factory that the SC couldn't seem to fix, and I got to go to the parts store to buy new fasteners that the SC left off when they bungled the alignment job which caused my undertray to fall off at freeway speeds.

So, yeah, don't be fooled, there's plenty of work to do on these cars even though it's an EV.
Well played Tesla. Soon to be a featured selling point.

Do you feel you can make your car faster? From the little I know, you can improve track performance.

10 years from now the Hellcat will be in a junkyard while the M3P will be driving itself fully autonomously.
Riding around in a 10+ year old M3P shoehorned into whatever pseudo vaporware Tesla is then pushing is a sad future. It has a poor ride now, let alone in 10 years of Tesla service. Budget robo service offering harrowing rides gives the Hellcat a chance to maintain value.