Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded my M3P for an RS3 - My thoughts on both cars for what it's worth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice RS3. Can't beat the sound of 5 cylinder!
One thing that I don't miss my S3 was the interior volume. Very small and tight all around.
One more thing to note is the lower SOC slows downs Teslas/EVs, but the heat soak for the ICE cars is equally power robbing monster. After a few hard pulls, the stock IC cannot keep up with proper cooling, hence robbing a lot of power.

Before I even scrolled down, I figured you bought the green one. (I usually go for press release colors also)

Had a 2018 RS3 that I loved, but I agree the 0-60 comparison is further apart than the published times make it seem to be.

Interior quality, track performance and better looks go to the Audi all day.

Reactions: clerks
Amazing and fun vehicle - Congratulations. Also a great color!!

You can jump back to the M3P pretty much any time you want with a minimal wait - that was a rare opportunity. Getting that to drive, enjoying the sounds and fun on a well thought out ICE vehicle of that caliber is a pleasure.

Unfortunately I probably have owned my last gasoline powered vehicle, unless I end up in a location where I need a truck again. I love most everything about the Tesla vehicles (there can always be improvements)...but that doesn't mean I don't miss the sound of a well tuned exhaust and good shifts.

Reactions: clerks
Awesome! I was strongly considering an RS3 myself but I just had an E85 Golf R for almost 2 years that I was getting bored of. I feel like the RS3 would've been too similar to the Golf R for me, I love how RS3's sound with a nice exhaust though!

Unfortunately OP's RS3 will depreciate a lot more and faster than M3.
Really? What's the basis for this? It's got a 2 to 3 year wait, currently oems as asking above msrp for them and the last non electric 5 cylinder audi will ever make. The car has a cult following. 2018s are selling in the mid 50s now. Not saying you are wrong - and I don't really care - but I'd love to know why you think that. Model 3s are not going to continue selling at these crazy prices either. And with EVs you have tech breakthroughs coming ....

Cons
1. Rough ride. The suspension on the M3P is pretty rough. I did have mine lowered on eibach springs but tbh it was just as bad before as well. The RS3 is plenty firm as well but it does not crash over bumps like the Tesla did. Even this weekend, I prepared myself to cringe over typical road hazards only to find the Audi dealt with them far better. Tesla needs to improve this.
@clerks This particular aspect of the Model 3 is just the crappy stock suspension/dampers. The ride and handling over rough stuff is transformed with a good damper/coilover upgrade. (Lowering springs won't do it.) Of course Tesla really ought to offer a better suspension on the M3P from the factory. Maybe someday.

That said, the other cons you listed pretty much are what they are for this car. Congrats on the RS3! Variety is the spice of life, enjoy the automotive change.

Also big agreement on loving a quick steering ratio like the Model 3 comes with. For my last ICE car I got an 11.5:1 rally rack to replace its stock 15:1. Wasn't cheap but was totally worthwhile (to me). Look around and see if there's any quick ratio racks for the RS3/S3/A3 chassis.

Really? What's the basis for this? It's got a 2 to 3 year wait, currently oems as asking above msrp for them and the last non electric 5 cylinder audi will ever make. The car has a cult following. 2018s are selling in the mid 50s now. Not saying you are wrong - and I don't really care - but I'd love to know why you think that. Model 3s are not going to continue selling at these crazy prices either. And with EVs you have tech breakthroughs coming ....
Not talking about this current crazy abnormal used car market. I am referring to pre-pandemic trend. Audi or any German luxury brand cars depreciate about 25+% in first two years.

Not talking about this current crazy abnormal used car market. I am referring to pre-pandemic trend. Audi or any German luxury brand cars depreciate about 25+% in first two
Not talking about this current crazy abnormal used car market. I am referring to pre-pandemic trend. Audi or any German luxury brand cars depreciate about 25+% in first two years.

Yeah I don't think that was unusual and if I were a betting man, I'd expect teslas to depreciate in a very similar manner going forward. Theres a guy in the model s thread complaining about this now. Once supply catches up with demand, tesla will not be spared from depreciation. Anyway it's all in good fun. If i enjoy the car the depreciation won't bother me.

Yep guess I need to make a comment. First have fun with the car.
Second, have you lot your mind dude? Its OK to date an ICE but we
do not bring them home. First you start smelling of gas. We have a lot of
good cars here, Audi in not one. Lambo, AMG, M, porsche, Bently, ferrari or
perhaps koenigsegg. A S Plaid would also be fun.. I hope you get a bar of lava soap
with the car, you will need it, sorry next time a power point.

In my opinion, swapping an EV for an ICE is just socially irresponsible. But I guess constant extreme weather and droughts are worth the better interior.
Understand your opinion and you are entitled to it. I'd didn't buy the tesla to save the environment. I bought it because it was the best performance sports sedan available for the money. Certainly the EV aspects mattered but it didnt drive my choice. If I didn't buy the RS3 someone else would have.

Last edited:
Model S Refresh solves most of your problems.

More consistent speed as SOC goes down and 60-90 mph kicks as hard as 20-50 mph does.

Nicer ride. I got rid of my M3P partly due to ride and cabin noise as well.

Nicer interior.

405 miles range.

Looks nicer than M3P or RS3.

Best of all they don’t offer that horrible fire truck green. No wonder it was available ;)

The RS3 isn’t your average run of the mill Audi. Certainly a base A5, Q7, or A8 is going to depreciate a lot. However, the RS models are ALWAYS in demand.

Even in normal times the RS3 had one of the lowest depreciation curves.

Meanwhile the Vroom offer for my 2022 Model 3 Performance dropped $12,000 last week alone. Still worth way more than I owe on it with zero down which isn’t bad.

Reactions: travis3000