Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow wait-listers,
Well my number came up and delivery should occur in the next 2-3 weeks. I was curious about what trade-in value they would give me for my perfect, refreshed, almost fully loaded S75D with 2000 miles. I leased it for two years thinking that I probably wouldn’t see my model 3 until late 2018. Who really believed they would be delivering cars in 2017?

Anyway, don’t bother enquiring about a trade in of your leased model S. They offered me $57,200, which is about 57% of the original list price of $99,950, and $11,804 less than the lease residual value of $69,004 (at the end of September 2018). Depreciation in 15 months is almost 43%! Perhaps they know the model 3 is going to cannibalize S sales and drive down S resale values? Anyway, my lease payments including tax are only (for Tesla) $637 per month, so it is far less expensive to keep the S than to trade it in. Or maybe I will consign the lease?

Are others having similar experiences?

Reactions: Eclectic
Tesla's offer does not reflect real depreciation, because it is not a good indication of market value. Tesla routinely makes low trade-in offers because many customers will take it because it's the easiest option (especially in states like mine where there is a sales tax benefit to trading in that you don't get if you sell privately).

I just picked up my 4th Tesla today. I always ask about trading in the previous one, but always end up selling it privately for a lot more. Tesla themselves say the trade-in offer is just a "convenience", and that those seeking a great deal will do better selling privately.

Tesla also doesn't seem to want to encourage people to end leases early.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown
Hello fellow wait-listers,
Well my number came up and delivery should occur in the next 2-3 weeks. I was curious about what trade-in value they would give me for my perfect, refreshed, almost fully loaded S75D with 2000 miles. I leased it for two years thinking that I probably wouldn’t see my model 3 until late 2018. Who really believed they would be delivering cars in 2017?

Anyway, don’t bother enquiring about a trade in of your leased model S. They offered me $57,200, which is about 57% of the original list price of $99,950, and $11,804 less than the lease residual value of $69,004 (at the end of September 2018). Depreciation in 15 months is almost 43%! Perhaps they know the model 3 is going to cannibalize S sales and drive down S resale values? Anyway, my lease payments including tax are only (for Tesla) $637 per month, so it is far less expensive to keep the S than to trade it in. Or maybe I will consign the lease?

Are others having similar experiences?
That is a great lease on your S. I don't know why you'd get rid of it.