Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traditional Odometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jeeze. An MG-B making 100K? And a rubber-bumpered, jacked-up model at that? Was it single carburettor as well?

My '69 Datsun 2000 made over 250K. It now reposes in quiet solitude in my garage.

Electric has ruined me for engines and transmissions. Especially for things like the Roadster's 30K-replace cam chain.

I got my Model 3 at the end of July, and have just turned over 13K. It isn't only a terrific car, but may be the best "thing" I've ever done.

Mileage means less in an EV. I don't care if 3K or 6K has passed, or 20K or 30K. No service intervals and I'm not worried about it's clock ticking down like I used to with my ICE cars.

I had to look (in the Tesla app just now), but I've put over 24K on my Model 3 in ~ 15 months of ownership. Essentially the car is still pretty much new to me still, and nothing gives me anxiety about how much it's been driven. By far the highest annual rate I've ever had in a car, but to be honest....I never really noticed. :)

+1 for the odometer. There is nothing old about that. Milestones still exist. Destinations off the grid still exist with directions like go 2.5 miles past the red mailbox to the unmarked driveway. And yes my daughter sent me a pic when her rx300 hit 200k. .

I personally like not having an odometer showing all the time in this car. It is comforting to not have to worry about mileage and what that means for an ICE car. I do understand the nostalgia though.
Agreed. No need to have to constantly showing unless you need to access it. If someone wants a milestone photo, etc.. they'll know when their car is close to that and access it as wanted.

My girlfriend just sent me this snapchat. I proceeded to laugh my ass off and tell her about this topic. She did not see the humor and I'm now in the doghouse...lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191201-140109_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20191201-140109_Snapchat.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Jeeze. An MG-B making 100K? And a rubber-bumpered, jacked-up model at that? Was it single carburettor as well?

My '69 Datsun 2000 made over 250K. It now reposes in quiet solitude in my garage.

Electric has ruined me for engines and transmissions. Especially for things like the Roadster's 30K-replace cam chain.

I got my Model 3 at the end of July, and have just turned over 13K. It isn't only a terrific car, but may be the best "thing" I've ever done.

I was thinking the same, 100k miles on an MG, cool! How'd you do that? My first car in 1971 was a 1967 MGBGT, cool car but not very reliable. I also had a 1973 Datsun, but a 510, which I drove to over 250k miles. Well, I think 250k, the speedometer/odometer broke some years before so just a guess, but who's counting? A hundred thousand miles used to be a milestone because we thought of cars as 100k miles or 10 years and the fat lady sings. Cars were not very good in the good old days. Our 20-year-old 4Runner, on the other hand, was due for the first major tuneup at 100k miles. The 1983 Mercedes 240d we once had was just getting broken in at 200k miles. The Tesla, however, ain't a traditional mileage machine. To say the least........

My girlfriend just sent me this snapchat. I proceeded to laugh my ass off and tell her about this topic. She did not see the humor and I'm now in the doghouse...lol
Tell her when that zero finally rolls over to a seven, then it would be something.

I've driven three cars that went past 100,000: 1967 Dodge Polara, 1971 Mercury Capri and 2000 BMW 323i. Each was a cause of minor celebration when I hit that mileage mark. Especially the Dodge (high school car). The BMW topped out at around 185K before I left it to die.

Yes, single carburetor, the MGB engine made it to 130,000 miles so added the dual carburetors when I had the engine rebuilt a year ago by the same foreign car mechanic friends who stored it for 14 years when I was overseas -- runs better than new. As for the Model 3, agree, best car out there considering everything -- just fun to drive.

Reactions: Ivan Abundance
Yes, single carburetor, the MGB engine made it to 130,000 miles so added the dual carburetors when I had the engine rebuilt a year ago by the same foreign car mechanic friends who stored it for 14 years when I was overseas -- runs better than new. As for the Model 3, agree, best car out there considering everything -- just fun to drive.
GOD i wish the Tesla had a carburetor in it. man, if you guys miss the rolley-clicky style ODO, how could you possibly leave out awesome things like distributor caps, timing belts and oil changes!

man, in my day, you could climb in to the engine bay to work on those suckers! some of those engines drank gasoline and made nothing for power. lots of noise, small gas tank, 4L and only 180HP!! TECHNOLOGY WAS SO ADVANCED!

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I'm cool with the odometer card, but for me it's more about the time spent and places visited accumulating those miles... nothing to do with old tech or new tech. Just simply we spend a large portion of our lives in these vehicles, moreso if you are the original owner and get high mileage.

Reactions: pipestem