Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) should be standard free of cost - Let's vote and make Elon Hear

Should Tesla include traffic aware cruise control (TACC) as standard for free of cost ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah, it seems those who don't like EAP are the minority. My wife wouldn't even let me use it when we were in the car together. Maybe it's my fault for using it a lot in the early days when it wasn't quite as good...In any case she hates it and told me if I buy her a Tesla, she does not want EAP on the car.

My wife never uses her MX's EAP even once. I use it when I drove the family out on weekends. I use my M3 EAP daily. BTW, EAP is a lot better than AP 1.0 (had a loaner last year for 3 weeks). It does not slam on the brake when someone merge into your lane.

But everyone should understand that if Tesla ever "enables it for free" on all cars than those that paid $5K for it will demand refunds. Tesla has already set a very bad precedent with refunds on the performance package and this would be a much more compelling case for refund. That could have a significant financial costs to the company. A much better take would be to keep it as an expensive option or to include it for everyone and raise the price car by $5K.
I'm not sure about that, but sounds like you would want the refund.
IMO EAP is much more than TACC. Autosteering, Nav on autopilot, tacc and summon. I would think folks in California may put a higher value on TACC vs people like me in Florida. If Tesla made standalone TACC a $1000 option I'm not even sure I would pay that amount for it. Now, if Tesla made advanced summon available as a $1000 standalone I'd purchase immediately.

Sure would be nice to have it for free, but frankly I still want the option to use the old 'dumb' cruise control which works much better on secondary roads where TACC is too timid. I was happy when my EAP trial ended so I could get the old cruise control back.
This! While I do love TACC and think it's probably the best feature of EAP, totally worth the cost to me, sometimes old dumb cruise control is useful at times as well.

Reactions: pipestem
Most cars allow you to select TACC or normal CC if equipped... so not an issue.

Some cars do. Some cars even put two nearly identical button next to each other, one for ACC and one for blind cruise control. It seems like a really dumb decision to me. :)

The problem is mode confusion - a fancy term the Aviation community came up with after they started getting fancy Autopilots with lots of features. Basically, once you're trained on a system working one way, if it doesn't do what you're expecting it to, accidents happen. (Mode confusion killed a few hundred people on a Tristar in the Everglades in the early 80s.)

In this case, if you have both blind cruise control and adaptive cruise available in the same car, the risks of rear ending someone because you thought you had adaptive cruise one but had the blind version on instead become substantial, especially if they are equally easily activated by similar actions.

Some cars do. Some cars even put two nearly identical button next to each other, one for ACC and one for blind cruise control. It seems like a really dumb decision to me. :)

The problem is mode confusion - a fancy term the Aviation community came up with after they started getting fancy Autopilots with lots of features. Basically, once you're trained on a system working one way, if it doesn't do what you're expecting it to, accidents happen. (Mode confusion killed a few hundred people on a Tristar in the Everglades in the early 80s.)

In this case, if you have both blind cruise control and adaptive cruise available in the same car, the risks of rear ending someone because you thought you had adaptive cruise one but had the blind version on instead become substantial, especially if they are equally easily activated by similar actions.

I’m an airline pilot... nonsense.

• Disagree
Reactions: GWord and Saghost
I’m an airline pilot... nonsense.

What part do you consider nonsense?

The documented history of crashes caused by mode confusion, or the likelihood that someone will cause an accident because they aren't paying enough attention because they thought the car was in charge?

Keep in mind that distracted driving is already a leading cause of accidents among folks who aren't even using cruise control...

Reactions: Blue in NC
Pretty much everything you have posted on “mode confusion” in the aviation community. Hog wash.

I do agree that distracted drivers are more likely to cause an accident... using CC or not.

If they aren't training you on these things, that's most unfortunate.

Here's the accident I was talking about:

Eastern Air Lines Flight 401 - Wikipedia

That's just the most famous one. As for the rest...

INCIDENTS REVEAL MODE CONFUSION

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...hl=en&oi=scholarr#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=pTiARJOaVGcJ

CEN17FA072

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q="mode+confusion"+ntsb

It's a real problem that frequently kills people, and a specific term the NTSB uses to describe it.

What's really unfortunate is someone who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about trying to spew misinformation. Accidents happen (on the ground and in the air) due to idiots who are complacent or not adequately trained... simple.

What's really unfortunate is someone who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about trying to spew misinformation. Accidents happen (on the ground and in the air) due to idiots who are complacent or not adequately trained... simple.

And due to systems that don't provide enough information about their status and encourage undertrained and complacent people to make mistakes.

I'm curious how you believe you know better than official NTSB investigation reports what happened in accidents - and deeply amused that you're blaming the accidents on complacency while trying to force a complacent attitude about risks resulting from bad human interface design...