Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trans-Canada Supercharged in 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be very happy if they just completed what they have already announced.

SK isn't that big an issue for installing the SCs on the T-Can. The route from Sudbury to Winnipeg is the issue and there is a whole of km to cover, especially when you consider the winter temps. That was discussed a month or so in this thread: Supercharging from Sudbury to Winnipeg?
Wow. Typically insulting Torontonian response.

Wow. Typically insulting Torontonian response.
You are misinterpreting my answer. My main point is that the big hurdle is the stretch of Northern Ontario from Sudbury to get you to Manitoba, not the currently vacant stretch from Winnipeg to Calgary. To do the Northern Ontario stretch you will need from 10-12 SCs and there isn't always an obvious place to put an SC as there may not be a town of any sort around the required location. And do they even have sufficient power lines in some of those places?

To cover SK on Hwy 1 you would likely need only 4 SCs. You will likely need one in Brandon and one around Medicine Hat to complete the Calgary-Winnipeg route.

You are misinterpreting my answer. My main point is that the big hurdle is the stretch of Northern Ontario from Sudbury to get you to Manitoba, not the currently vacant stretch from Winnipeg to Calgary. To do the Northern Ontario stretch you will need from 10-12 SCs and there isn't always an obvious place to put an SC as there may not be a town of any sort around the required location. And do they even have sufficient power lines in some of those places?

To cover SK on Hwy 1 you would likely need only 4 SCs. You will likely need one in Brandon and one around Medicine Hat to complete the Calgary-Winnipeg route.
Incorrect. The driving distance from Calgary to Winnipeg is over 1300km.

You have to admit... it's an odd thing for EM to respond to if there's not something behind it. Out of all of the clamoring tweets out there, why would he choose to respond to that one
Either we missed April Fools or he's signed a contract or two. Maybe some burger, grocery, or travel chain has agreed. So what's the consensus, will the SCs need to be 100 km apart or will 200 km be sufficient for winter travel? For me personally, 200 km should be fine, but I won't be traveling through except in Summer.

In North Dakota and Minnesota Tesla is putting the SCs about 100 miles or 160 kms apart - that could be a bit of guidance as there weather is similar, although maybe a bit warmer in the US vs the Canadian prairies.
I count 11 Superchargers in the US to cover that distance, directly below Calgary to Winnipeg. Mind you, that highway is not as straight as the TransCanada.

As well, Tesla if they were on things would build north to self through SK and Manitoba. Tesla drivers tell me they have to stop at the Sun Country Highway charger in Davidson mid-winter in order to make the drive from Regina to Saskatoon. Chargers south from Regina to link up to the US would be nice as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
That swift current supercharger is critical for me to escape Saskatchewan. Otherwise you will find me slow charging at 48amps for hours on end.

A medicine hat supercharger would be a bonus as well

Yeah, that's part of why we did the EV awareness presentation that lead to the Musk tweet up there. We discussed the lack of superchargers east of Calgary makes the whole trip home to Swift a pain. A supercharger in Medicine Hat would be ideal.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
Minimum 5 years away!
It's already June, half way through the year and not a single SC added yet to the current map in Canada!
We need one oh so desperately in the Ottawa region its not even funny any more!
Would be nice to drive to Ottawa from Toronto this summer using Sc's but that won't be happening!

Minimum 5 years away!
It's already June, half way through the year and not a single SC added yet to the current map in Canada!
We need one oh so desperately in the Ottawa region its not even funny any more!
Would be nice to drive to Ottawa from Toronto this summer using Sc's but that won't be happening!
You at least have superchargers in your home province and a level 3 charging program that's being unfolded as we speak.

I don't have any type of level 3 charging around me for an 800 km radius and I live in a booming metropolis! Regina Saskatchewan!

Reactions: Dax279 and S'toon
screenshot_20170528-031209-png.228677

Minimum 5 years away!

I'd say "this year" is wishful thinking; and "minimum 5 years away" is negative thinking.

I predict by the end of 2018 it will be completed, likely around the 3rd quarter.