Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer Model 3 to a Friend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi guys, I have a reservation from day 1, not yet invited to configure but probably soon. I have a Model X and even though I would like to keep my Model 3 reservation , a friend of mine is kinda desperate for me to transfer my reservation to him. I know that Tesla doesn't allow this directly, is there a way for me to buy the car under his name ? I don't want to profit or anything from the sale, just want his name on the title not mine, that way the car will only have 1 owner. Is there a way to do this ? and how does the 7,500$ Credit work under these circumstances ? thanks in advace for the help.

Check the search function on the Model 3 forum. There are a couple threads about this. I’ve been told you can have your friend do all the registration and financing in their name. Call Tesla customer service and confirm if you’re worried about any hiccups. My OA also confirmed this was possible.

hi guys, I have a reservation from day 1, not yet invited to configure but probably soon. I have a Model X and even though I would like to keep my Model 3 reservation , a friend of mine is kinda desperate for me to transfer my reservation to him. I know that Tesla doesn't allow this directly, is there a way for me to buy the car under his name ? I don't want to profit or anything from the sale, just want his name on the title not mine, that way the car will only have 1 owner. Is there a way to do this ? and how does the 7,500$ Credit work under these circumstances ? thanks in advace for the help.

I am registering my Model 3 in my wife name, with all her data (Driver's license, insurance, trade-in) and her listed as "registered owner". The UI at tesla.com allowed me to do that without an issue. I am still going to be making the payments (except the trade-in). If you got the cash from your friend, you could easily do it the same way. Your friend must be present at delivery to pick up and sign the ownership papers.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I am registering my Model 3 in my wife name, with all her data (Driver's license, insurance, trade-in) and her listed as "registered owner". The UI at tesla.com allowed me to do that without an issue. I am still going to be making the payments (except the trade-in). If you got the cash from your friend, you could easily do it the same way. Your friend must be present at delivery to pick up and sign the ownership papers.

Will loan be in your name or her name?

Any update to this thread?

All the papers were done with my wife data, took 10 minutes to fill them out. Traded in her car with CarMax quote matched by Tesla. She filled the registration and sale papers. I had already paid the full balance by ACH from JP Morgan Chase. As long as the friend you want to have buy the car is present, and you have listed he/she as the "registered owner" (snapshot of license, current insurance) when you "configured", you'll be fine.

@neptune2000 I'm slightly confused by this: When you say you're "still going to be making the payments", you're saying that you paid the deposit when you made the order and that the final payment will come from/came from you, or was the change to paying cash something you decided later?

I'd very much like to take advantage of a similar possibility but with a friend instead of a spouse, so just trying to get as much detail as possible.

• Informative
Nothing. Tesla still gets a check from the loan company and it will apply it to the balance. They really do not care who pays for what, as long as they get paid :) In my personal case, my wife's Hyundai Elantra was traded in and she signed the sell papers. I paid both deposits ($1,000 and $2,500 CC) and the final balance (by ACH).

Notice that the loan company will only get a loan to the registered owner, not someone else. When you register the car with the DMV, the loan company will be listed on the registration as they effectively "own" a portion of the car until the loan is paid off.

@neptune2000 I'm slightly confused by this: When you say you're "still going to be making the payments", you're saying that you paid the deposit when you made the order and that the final payment will come from/came from you, or was the change to paying cash something you decided later?

I'd very much like to take advantage of a similar possibility but with a friend instead of a spouse, so just trying to get as much detail as possible.

Yes, pretty much same situation. I am an owner of a Model S P90D. I stayed in line in Santa Monica and charged $1,000 to my credit card for the reservation. I "configured" the Model 3 as per my wife preferences, and entered her name as the title holder, her driver license and her car insurance. I paid the non-refundable $2,500 by credit card. My wife traded-in her Hyunday Elantra which she owned title to personally and that was credited for $8,500 on the balance as per Carmax matched quote. 3 days before delivery I paid the balance by ACH from my Chase bank account. My wife name was on the "welcome" at delivery in Marina del Rey.

Substitute "friend" to "spouse" and the process will be the same.

Nothing. Tesla still gets a check from the loan company and it will apply it to the balance. They really do not care who pays for what, as long as they get paid :) In my personal case, my wife's Hyundai Elantra was traded in and she signed the sell papers. I paid both deposits ($1,000 and $2,500 CC) and the final balance (by ACH).

Notice that the loan company will only get a loan to the registered owner, not someone else. When you register the car with the DMV, the loan company will be listed on the registration as they effectively "own" a portion of the car until the loan is paid off.

Transfer is allowed with nuclear family and that is it.

• Informative